Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping

• 28-02-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I was just reading through the Thread there for tipping takeaway delivery men and there were various opinions on the matter.

We as a nation do tend to tip for services that we have already been charged for. Example food delivery, the Barber/Hairdresser and so on.

My Question to you all is would you tip someone who is not charging for service?

I work in a service industry whereby I get people coming in to me with all sorts of problems and ask if I can help/fix it. For the sake of good service and that I consider myself a nice guy.

I could spend anything from 10-40 minutes trying to resolve the problem for people. Not going to go in to detail of what it is i do.

But 99% of time I fix the problem, person says thanks and bye.

Thats fine, I dont expect a tip. I just do it because I want to help. However, what seems to bother me is that we tip people for doing something that is either very simple, part of their job or we are already paying for them to do it and just handing over extra cash.

Why do people feel the need to tip them and not someone who fixes your problem when they dont have to...and its not their job to do it.

Strange one…

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

Tipping in Ireland is way different than tipping in America. for example, Americans tip waiters because they get paid pitons, while we in Ireland tip waiters by saying you really need to get a better job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Tipping in Ireland is way different than tipping in America. for example, Americans tip waiters because they get paid pitons, while we in Ireland tip waiters by saying you really need to get a better job
    Apt user name. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

Apt user name. :rolleyes:

u dont know the half mini me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Just fly tipping and cow tipping.

Humans are filthy animals and it would hurt my ego to show kindness to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

I tip sometimes, depends on my mood at the time. This can be swayed greatly by the general manner of the tipee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The cows like it though ;)

(waitresses are very bitchy if you call them it to their face though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im in canada, and have to tip in a lot of places. i bloody hate it.

i order a bottle of beer for 5 dollars. barmaid takes the top off an gives it to me, and then expects at least another dollar. for what? i dont mind tipping if she made me a cocktail or came back with a huge order, but standard doing-your-job really irks me. Taximen too, need to tip them just cause they got you home.

Now i just use my card and settle up at the end. stops the tipping after every drink, which can get out of hand very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

It depends on the kind of situation you're on about really.
    If its some paid to do a eg customer service like a bank employee helping set up accounts or a tech guy in pc world then no.

Taxi - sometimes if they're friendly and or helped with bags etc.

Say it was a situation where you're employed in an office and you're known as the go to guy for fixing computer problems - I wouldn't exactly call it tipping. If you helped in a big way I might get a small gift. But it's not something I'd 'tip' for. Say it's someone who went put of their way to fix my car or dead laptop. In that case I'd 'pay' them a little for it.

Tipping people for generally being helpful like helping me move blocks or that. No... They chose to help. Cuppa tea is the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Well if the service is free and no cash will be changing hands it's very annoying to then have to give over money. After offering money the Irish person always says "No thanks, you're ok". This then leads to tipper following with "Ah go on go on go on". It then goes back and forth for a while until someone gives in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Im not comparing to America.

I'm going by what Irish people are posting in the "tip the takeaway delivery" thread.

A lot of Irish people tipping for a service that they have already paid for.

Most people I know would tip their barber, most women I know would tip their hair dresser. As in if you didn't it would be frowned upon even though you are paying them for doing it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Tipping is for yanks.

Let's use the tech guy in PC world. You bought your laptop from other company. You have a problem and you bring it to PC world where you didn't buy it. Guy fixes problem after 15-20min. Your saying you won't tip him?

Hardly his job to fix laptops that weren't bought from them!

Disclaimer: I don't work for PC world or any laptop shop for that matter, just using that as an example.
    Nyan Cat wrote: »
    It depends on the kind of situation you're on about really.
    If its some paid to do a eg customer service like a bank employee helping set up accounts or a tech guy in pc world then no.

Taxi - sometimes if they're friendly and or helped with bags etc.

Say it was a situation where you're employed in an office and you're known as the go to guy for fixing computer problems - I wouldn't exactly call it tipping. If you helped in a big way I might get a small gift. But it's not something I'd 'tip' for. Say it's someone who went put of their way to fix my car or dead laptop. In that case I'd 'pay' them a little for it.

Tipping people for generally being helpful like helping me move blocks or that. No... They chose to help. Cuppa tea is the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

If you bring a laptop you didn't buy in pc world to be looked at - even if you did buy it there and it's out of warranty if it needs fixing you pay for it.

As far as I know everywhere is like that

So many businesses in Ireland pass the blame or will not go out of their way for customers when it doesn't concern them...why? Because its annoying to have to hand over money when service is free?

It's no wonder that customer service in Ireland is terrible.
    Elohim wrote: »
    Well if the service is free and no cash will be changing hands it's very annoying to then have to give over money. After offering money the Irish person always says "No thanks, you're ok". This then leads to tipper following with "Ah go on go on go on". It then goes back and forth for a while until someone gives in.

Advertisement