Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance

Options
  • 28-02-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

hi all.
    anyone know the cheapest car insurance company at the moment, i know it was 123.ie at one stage but they were taken over and the prices are 200 more for me with the same car and no changes to licence ect, so far ive tried aa, axa, 25plus and they all seem to be as expensive as 123

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Chill.ie gave me a big discount compared to others....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭you2008

Did u try tesco? They are with RSA, should b all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

i will try both of those, but im sure 123 are rsa as well and they want 560 from me, i was paying 350

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Brittons and No Nonsense gave me good quotes when i was looking recently

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Just insured with Insure.ie, found it was the best rate around for me - 'no nonsense' were 'pure nonsense' giving a quote at least twice the price I paid!

• Advertisement

went on insure.ie, that wasnt easy as they are aon insure, im an arsenal fan, anyway got a quote from them for 500, so off i went to tesco, used the clubcard and got a quote for 395, smiley faces all round, cheers people

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koti421

Try greenapple.ie its from chill insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

i have been with insure.ie for years and they are great, very helpful and great to deal with. they gave me quote, got a cheaper one of 123.ie, went back to them and they matched the quote ( well nearly matched it) try them, worth the small bit extra for service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shortie111

As a student/young driver, I find Quinn Insurance the cheapest by a mile. For me, they are around €500 cheaper (fully comp and policy in my own name) than any other insurance company i've quoted. This is my second year with them and my insurance went down by nearly €300 from my first year! Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Did the comparison hassle a couple of times over the last years. 123.ie used to be good, now a lot less. Insure.ie is one to check and aaireland are usually quite competitive as well...
    Nononsense and xs can give great (cheap) quotes but only if you settle for considerably worse t&c's/higher excess than the others, if you want like-for-like cover they are unlikely to be cheaper...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

flyguy wrote: »
    Did the comparison hassle a couple of times over the last years. 123.ie used to be good, now a lot less. Insure.ie is one to check and aaireland are usually quite competitive as well...
    Nononsense and xs can give great (cheap) quotes but only if you settle for considerably worse t&c's/higher excess than the others, if you want like-for-like cover they are unlikely to be cheaper...
    Been with nononsense/fbd for years. Great to deal with. Never had a problem with a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Been with nononsense/fbd for years. Great to deal with. Never had a problem with a claim.

I didn't comment on their service, they might be the most friendly fantastic company around, I only said they're unlikely to be the cheapest which was what the OP was looking for...

so far liberty has come up with the cheapest quote, tesco are twenty euro more, just to decide who to pick.
    chill came back looking for around the 600 mark
    axa are the same
    aon was close at 500
    123 has gone crazy lately 600 for the same car i had covered for 350 a couple of years back

one direct just came up with 768 wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

have you tried bestquote.ie? I renewed this week and went with them - wasn't much between them, Brittons and insure.ie but the best benefits for me were with bestquote.

bestquote was 600 :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

try cullen insurance in newport co tipperary 061378116
    http://www.culleninsurances.ie/

im with them since my 1st insurance 8years ago and havent changed hell always beat a price comparsion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

went on insure.ie, that wasnt easy as they are aon insure, im an arsenal fan, anyway got a quote from them for 500, so off i went to tesco, used the clubcard and got a quote for 395, smiley faces all round, cheers people

I'm sure if insure.ie were the cheapest you would have taken it. AFAIK pool are insured by AON. so your dilemma is relatively small.
    P. S. I'm with 123.ie and my premium came down from €350 to €330 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Rang 123.ie - the guy on the phone had no notion of what an MPV was as we were doing the quote. They had no listing for MPV, and it just came up as a 4x4! wtf?

Seems odd as i moved from AA this year to 123.ie as they were about 200 cheaper. Never been with them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

each of the brokers will have agreed different discounts with the insurers, so you really need to shop around to get the best price. Whats best for one customer at one insurer/broker, wont neccessarily be the best for another. (Discounts can be temporary or even targetted at particular segments)...so everytime you want a quote, you should probably try all of the players :-p

try http://www.QuoteMe.IE if you havent already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jen3kings

Aviva have contracted out their recovery to RAC. A simple request to tow my car 8 miles when the key refused to turn in the barrel resulted in the following:
    1. two hours as "recovery guy" took a drill, chisel and hammer to the steering coloum & in the words of an accessor "butchered" the car.
    2 Next I was despatched in my hot-wired car to drive home ( lucky for me it didn't stop as I had no screwdriver to restart).
    3. The resulting cost went from €200 to €800 thanks to the "recovery".
    4. Taking a series of phone calls (which I had to keep doing) I was offered that they would take the car & repair to the point of call-out.SO what then would I have to get the car towed to my mechanic to get barrel replaced??
    They finally agreed to do the latter as a gesture of "goodwill" They would sent their mechanic to collect.
    GUESS WHAT - It turned out to be the same "recoveryman" .
    I now was looking for hidden camera's for my starring role in "you've been framed....
    There was none - this was Aviva /RAC customer service at it's best.

The saga continued where customer service threatened to withdraw the "goodwill" gesture if I put throw an invoice for Car hire & storage incurred while they were debating what to do.
    No communication about the repair progress, how long, when I could collect the car etc.
    And when I finally collected the car no forthcoming guarantee or description of work done.

In all my business & personnel endeavours I have rarely encountered a blatant disregard for the customer or lack of basic customer service.

Make up your own mind but my advise (& I'm a customer of theirs since 2004) AVOId AVIVA CAR INSURANCE.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

Try Chill.ie been with them for a couple of years now and just renewed with them today!!

Advertisement