Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everyone who lives nearby makes derogatory remarks to African family who lives nearby

• 28-02-2012 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I live in a fairly upscale neighbourhood. It would cost around €250K-€280K to buy a house here even now, though the place isn't very lavish either.

Anyway an African family moved in a couple of doors up, they look Sub-Suharan African, not North African. The Father wears professional clothes and the children wear School uniforms, but the wife and Grandmother still wear traditional African attire. Anyway, ever since the people have moved in the (Irish) neighbours around me have been making derogatory comments about the people. "THEY'RE no good, THEY should move back to Africa, THEY bring down the neighbourhood", etc.

But they never say it in front of the African family, never within an ears reach. If the family leave the house an a person who made a derogatory remark previously was mowing his lawn, he would not say anything or make any gesture. If I looked at him with a look of "you hypocrite" he would not look at me.

I think it's wrong what is happening. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

A neighborhood where upscale houses are sub 300k, are you living in Leitrim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I live in a fairly upscale neighbourhood. It would cost around €250K-€280K to buy a house here even now, though the place isn't very lavish either.

Anyway an African family moved in a couple of doors up, they look Sub-Suharan African, not North African. The Father wears professional clothes and the children wear School uniforms, put the wife and Grandmother still wear traditional African attire. Anyway, ever since the people have moved in the (Irish) neighbours around me have been making derogatory comments about the people. "THEY'RE no good, THEY should move back to Africa, THEY bring down the neighbourhood", etc.

But they never say it in front of the African family, never within an ears reach. If the family leave the house an a person who made a derogatory remark previously was mowing his lawn, he would not say anything or make any gesture. If I looked at him with a look of "you hypocrite" he would not look at me.

relax David Attenborough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It's like an episode of "Desperate Housewives" in your area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

It's as if you have been ignoring racism all your life. Welcome to Ireland, this happens all the time unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

They allow Black people in Dalkey now? fcuk heard it all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Its not clear if you think its wrong they don't tell them to their face or that they say such things in the first place.

My opinion is that your neighbours sound like as$holes, if they talk about someone behind their back while you're there they probably talk about you behind your back when you're not there.
    Next time they are being racist, call them a racist and end the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A lot of people are two faced, it happens. To be honest I'd rather they didn't go around abusing these people to their faces either, there are enough scumbags to do that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

as long as they havent cannibalised anybody yet i think its uncalled for:p

Why do you distinguish between north africans and south africans btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland, this happens all the time unfortunately.
    Evidence?

Great how people take the word of a random internet person as gold as soon as it seems to say something bad about the Irish. Now that's racism.

Or quite probably trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Deliberately misunderstand them, and say "yes,it's a pity a nice family like that have to live in a sh!t neighbourhood like this"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I heard you're a racist now Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

cml387 wrote: »
    Deliberately misunderstand them, and say "yes,it's a pity a nice family like that have to live in a sh!t neighbourhood like this"

That is a very good idea, it'd be pure funny to see their face when you said it too haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What county do you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Racism is rife in every country, only last week hundreds of thousands of English took to the streets of London in Liverpool football jerseys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Upscale house for "just 250k" in a "nice neighbourhood". Sounds more like a lower middleclass neighborhood who thought they were affluent for borrowed money, now in massive negative equity in houses no one would look twice at.

And they're taking their anger out on the foreigners.

Where have we heard this story before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If I looked at him with a look of "you hypocrite" he would not look at me.

So it's not the racism that you have a problem with - its the hypocrisy?

Good for you, Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

As my grandmother used to say.......the neighbours can't always be talking about the weather ( bloody great saying ) It's wrong, we all know it's wrong, have you pulled them up on it when you've heard them say it ?? I think that's as much of an issue as your asshole neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Using house prices to determine the wealth of an area is now redundant and meaningless. And how do you know they're going for that money? unless people you know and trust who've bought or sold in your area are telling you those figures then it's just the usual estate agent guff quoting asking prices, which bears little relation anymore to actual prices houses are changing hands for.

Of course it's wrong. What've you replied to these people when they make racist remarks to you? Do you tell them what they're doing is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I forget the name of the hospital in Dublin, but I had to go to the A&E once for an infection. I remember waiting in the wait-room and feeling out of place because I was the only black person there. Then I get to the examining rooms, and the majority of the doctors I passed going down the hall were black. I thought back to all of those threads were people talk about how "they" don't give back and that they should all go back to Africa. It was interesting to think about how many of these medical professionals wouldn't be accepted out on the street because they happened to be black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Everyone who lives nearby makes derogatory remarks to African family who lives nearby

I heard your dad went into a restaurant and ate everything in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

You live in the projects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Evidence?

Great how people take the word of a random internet person as gold as soon as it seems to say something bad about the Irish. Now that's racism.

Or quite probably trolling.

In fairness now it does happen quite a bit. No one is saying that the all Irish people are racist but it's not exactly a rare occurrence to hear someone giving out about "the blacks" is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's like an episode of "Desperate Housewives" in your area!

More like "Shameless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I forget the name of the hospital in Dublin, but I had to go to the A&E once for an infection. I remember waiting in the wait-room and feeling out of place because I was the only black person there. Then I get to the examining rooms, and the majority of the doctors I passed going down the hall were black. I thought back to all of those threads were people talk about how "they" don't give back and that they should all go back to Africa. It was interesting to think about how many of these medical professionals wouldn't be accepted out on the street because they happened to be black.

Its very easy to be racist against black people because they look very obviously different to most people in Ireland. It becomes easy to be racist against Eastern Europeans when you hear them speak. Its easy to be 'racist' against people who wear different football jerseys to the one you favour, or if they have a different local accent. Some people just have a deep need to 'blame' other people for - well pretty well anything really. If all else fails blame your next door neighbour, or your teacher, or the police, or anyone else for the inadequacies of your own life.

This emerges as racism or hate of anyone who can be seen as different. Its the basis of bullying, of justifying your own illegal or immoral acts. It is a reflection of personal ineffectiveness, inadequacy, self-respect, lack of wisdom.

Really all you can do is try and influence your own friends, family and especially children that this kind of thinking is flawed. Eventually attitudes will change - there was a time when people thought that odd looking old people, and, funnily enough, people they did not like, were witches, and other people agreed with them. You can't legislate against stupidity, but you can do your own bit towards raising standards.

Advertisement