Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yakult wrote: »
    Will always skip a year, so I'm gonna wait for 4. The improvements are twice that for the same price! Will enter a few competitions tho as I wouldn't say no to a free one!

Same as. My iPad 2 is quite new so can't justify upgrading to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Irish store is back! But no sign of new iPad, only the iPad2, from €399. The UK store on the other hand is allowing you to pre-order the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Can we preorder from the UK site for delivery to Ireland (probably stupid question)??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Can we preorder from the UK site for delivery to Ireland (probably stupid question)??

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

So, any idea what a second hand iPad 2 ought to be worth now? Apple are selling 16gb refurbs for €350.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mark_79 wrote: »
    So, any idea what a second hand iPad 2 ought to be worth now? Apple are selling 16gb refurbs for €350.

Less than 300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

So when is the launch of the iPad 4? I want a couple;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mark_79 wrote: »
    €250 - €300 for one in decent condition.

The really good news is that you should now be able to pick up a 16GB iPad 1 for €100 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Does anyone know if u can watch football matches on the new ipad?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

leemaree wrote: »
    Does anyone know if u can watch football matches on the new ipad?
    No more than you could on the old iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Dades wrote: »
    No more than you could on the old iPad.

Is there any software ur app u need to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

leemaree wrote: »
    Is there any software ur app u need to watch it

What are you asking exactly?

If for example you are a sky customer then you could use their Sky Go App to watch.

If, which I suspect you are, you are talking about flashed based streaming website then you know already what the answer is there.

Why can't people also realise that these are software issues not hardware!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Enough of the stupid questions like 'Can I do X or Y on the new iPad', Yes you can if there's a website to support it available or 'there's an app for that'.

The more important question is when can we start pre ordering here? I would presume next Friday week given that the launch is Friday fortnight here? Perhaps next Wednsday given that pre orders opened yesterday for markets where it's on sale on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

seamus wrote: »

The really good news is that you should now be able to pick up a 16GB iPad 1 for €100 or so.

Just as well I sold mine for 250 the week before last so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

cojomo2 wrote: »

Just on this point, I received an email from Gamestop with tradein prices for old ipads today. They are offering €220 for an iPad 1 16gb wifi. See attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

While i am an Apple fan (iphone, Macbook Pro, ipods etc), I was a little underwhelmed by this announcement (bloody hype filled bloggers). Is this iPad(3) a real step forward compared to the 2nd gen Apple have just announced that they have developed a breast implant that can store and play music. It's called the iTit and will cost between €499 and €699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them. iPad or is it more akin to an iPad 's' as in iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4GS?? Just wondering as I held off buying the ipad2 until this new one was bought. From reading the apple blurb last night, nothing really stood out as a "must have" addition. If the 2nd gen iPad price drops, will it be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

While i am an Apple fan (iphone, Macbook Pro, ipods etc), I was a little underwhelmed by this announcement (bloody hype filled bloggers). Is this iPad(3) a real step forward compared to the 2nd gen Apple have just announced that they have developed a breast implant that can store and play music. It's called the iTit and will cost between €499 and €699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them. iPad or is it more akin to an iPad 's' as in iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4GS?? Just wondering as I held off buying the ipad2 until this new one was bought. From reading the apple blurb last night, nothing really stood out as a "must have" addition. If the 2nd gen iPad price drops, will it be the better option.

I think by the nature of things the newest device will have the newest hardware therefore it should be better. I think the question is are the improvements worth paying more for than the now discounted older model.

I bought ipad2 in decemmber the 32gb and i for one wont be upgrading. Ill wait for the real 3 (then give my two to the missus) as im waiting for the real 5 (give my 4 to the missus) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange post......can you tell me what you were hoping for from the new iPad?
    People always complain but don't actually say what they would have wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I always end up buying the latest model so was delighted when I saw the improvements with the "new ipad", nothing really in it for me and not a huge leap from the 2.
    I am quite happy with my ipad 2 so will wait for the next one.
    Can't wait for iphone 5 though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Looking at it again, €100 is probably a bit silly. If an iPad 2 is going for €300, then €200 would seem more likely for a good condition iPad 1. Those gamestope trade-in prices look excellent, though I suspect that the "up to" part is key - if you opt for cash rather than credit they'll probably give you €50 less than in the advertisement.

It strikes me as a step up really. No definite proof so far but the feeling I'm getting is that the iPad 3 is the iPad 2 with better graphics really. I'd say the CPU is the same, and quad core graphics have been added as well as the retina display. They added an updated camera to make the iPad usable with the new iPhoto app. They added newer mobile wireless that's mainly useful to the US.

It's a product facelift really, just a refresh to keep them ahead. Time was when Apple released a product, refreshed it the following year and then completely reimagined it the year after that.

If you've an iPad 1 or no iPad, then this is a nice model to have. I've an iPad 1 and will certainly upgrade now. I am starting to wonder what Apple can bring to the party for iPad 4 next year though. Lighter... sure, A6 processor? yes. Beyond that, they're still not doing haptic feedback. I haven't heard anybody relate Apple's views on haptic feedback. Perhaps if Jobs was giving yesterday's presentation he might have referred to it and why Apple don't see it as a solution or said that it's just not ready yet? Who knows! Maybe we should get used to step-wise updates like this from here on in. It was probably easy for the first few years of the iPhone and iPad as Apple were busy defining the niche but maybe they feel things are OK now where they are and they've got the form factors right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's a nice gadget but I for one don't see a need for it, at all. I just can't understand how it would fit into my life.

My Macbook Pro does everything the iPad does, better. I don't have to hold up the screen and get tired hands if I'm in bed, I just sit it in my lap. Same when I'm sitting at my desk. I have mouse and keyboard input, I can browse boards, check email, download something from usenet, play left4dead 2 all very easily.

I just still can't quite get my head around why I would want an iPad.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

sham69 wrote: »
    I always end up buying the latest model so was delighted when I saw the improvements with the "new ipad", nothing really in it for me and not a huge leap from the 2.
    The big update was the doubling of the screen resolution.

I think some people don't consider it "big" because everyone knew it was coming. I think people should reserve judgement about how big a leap this is until they actually see this screen (in comparison to the current one).

Did the same people not see the resolution upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 as big? For me it was the biggest feature.

Elessar wrote: »
    It's a nice gadget but I for one don't see a need for it, at all. I just can't understand how it would fit into my life.

My Macbook Pro does everything the iPad does, better. I don't have to hold up the screen and get tired hands if I'm in bed, I just sit it in my lap. Same when I'm sitting at my desk. I have mouse and keyboard input, I can browse boards, check email, download something from usenet, play left4dead 2 all very easily.

I agree with you. I used to be the same. One of my mates got an iPad just after the original one was announced. I remember telling him it looked nice but I'd be sticking with my MacBook. To me, it just looked like a big iPhone. Last year I had to have back surgery so I thought afterwards that it was time to stop carrying around a 17" MacBook Pro on my back and I saw an offer in Curry's the day after the iPad 2 came out for €100 off the old 16Gb Wifi iPad 1. I bought it, thinking I'd give it a go and if it wasn't doing the biz after a month or two I'd sell it as I was probably going to either break even or not lose too much. Very soon though I found I wasn't turning on my iMac anymore to look at the web, I wasn't firing up the laptop to play music. I now turn on my iMac for heavy duty stuff but 90% of what I do is accomplished on the iPad very well. The advantage is that it is on when I want it and I don't have to shut it down or wait for it to boot. If you've a good laptop there isn't really a need for the iPad per se but if you have one for a week it'll change your entire view of things. That's what surprised me. It makes surfing the web very simple and fast, writing quick emails the same. Pop it on a tray and it's another TV set for your bedroom if you want an early night. To be honest, it's one of these things that's hard to explain why it's so good and from the specs you can't really tell. You have to have one to know how good it is! Yes, I know that makes no sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

So back to my original question, is this new iPad just a iPad2s, ie, a few cosmetic improvements but if you can get a discounted 2nd gen for a hundred quid less, you won't be missing anything?

I do want an iPad for the same reason as an earlier poster, ie for a quick web surf amongst other things instead of having to boot up my MacBook Pro for these "menial" tasks:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Elessar wrote: »

Wife decided she was getting iPad. I decided I was getting iPad2. Now I never really used hers a lot, stuck with my MBP. When I got iPad 2 a year ago, I started investigating what more it could do, and it has become a real little powerhouse. I do my presentations linked up to projectors. iPhone 4 is the remote. I have my calendars, emails, contacts etc all synced. I'm converting old certificates I have issued from AppleWorks to PDFs so I can access them as well on the move. Only thing it can't run is my invoicing programme, but I live in hope. Then, in a hotel after training, you have TV on it or movies, or music, do up a few notes, send a few emails. In short, MBP can do it all better, but it is heavier and more awkward. I just use the MBP less and less these days. Only problem I have with the iPad is I should have got a 32GB rather than 16GB. I won't be getting a new MBP again, I wouldn't think. Mac Mini at home for the heavy lifting, and iPad for the road warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

whiterebel wrote: »
    Only thing it can't run is my invoicing programme, but I live in hope.
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/

http://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id479229407

Think with portals my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

So back to my original question, is this new iPad just a iPad2s, ie, a few cosmetic improvements but if you can get a discounted 2nd gen for a hundred quid less, you won't be missing anything?

I do want an iPad for the same reason as an earlier poster, ie for a quick web surf amongst other things instead of having to boot up my MacBook Pro for these "menial" tasks:D

Is having "better than bluray" screen resolution and a decent camera on it important to you?

Yes: new iPad
    No: iPad 2

There's your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Overheal wrote: »

Thanks, I have and use it already. Just a standalone app would be very nice, as I said I live in hope.:D

Advertisement