Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

For how long will the iPad 2 be available from the Apple stores?

I'm in USA first week April, and at the new reduced price I would pick one up, if it were still available!!

The new improvements on the latest version, what ever it is called, don't mean a thing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

It'll be available for another year. They're continuing the base 16Gb model for $399 in the US. Alternatively, if you buy a refurb iPad2 16Gb Wifi you'll get it for €349 from the Apple store which is pretty damn good for that device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Pay day at the end of the month and it's iPad 2 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Apologies is this has been covered in here already but, can somebody confirm or dispute the following:

The new iPad has quad core graphics and not a quad core processor like the Asus Transformer Prime for example?

If the answer to the above is yes, what is the significance of that differential?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DRose1 wrote: »
    Apologies is this has been covered in here already but, can somebody confirm or dispute the following:

The new iPad has quad core graphics and not a quad core processor like the Asus Transformer Prime for example?

If the answer to the above is yes, what is the significance of that differential?

Quad GPU, Dual CPU. As for differential between the systems Apples and Oranges....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Quad GPU, Dual CPU. As for differential between the systems Apples and Oranges....
    As I suspected.

The thing is, I guarantee that the vast majority of Apples target market will just assume its a 'quad core tablet' similar to the Transformer Primes of this world... Apple will obviously not go out of their way to highlight that its not a quad cpu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

As I suspected.

The thing is, I guarantee that the vast majority of Apples target market will just assume its a 'quad core tablet' similar to the Transformer Primes of this world... Apple will obviously not go out of their way to highlight that its not a quad cpu...

Seriously does it matter ?
    Most of the processing grunt on a tablet goes into graphics anyhow. I dunno unless you're planning to processing Large Hardon collider experiment results on it or something :rolleyes:
    Quad core tablet versus dual core with quad core GPU. Seriously who cares as long as they perform.

Seriously does it matter ?
    Most of the processing grunt on a tablet goes into graphics anyhow. I dunno unless you're planning to processing Large Hardon collider experiment results on it or something :rolleyes:
    Quad core tablet versus dual core with quad core GPU. Seriously who cares as long as they perform.
    Where did I say that I care?

I was just pointing out that there is an ambiguity about the 'quad core' specification of the new Apple tablet. I guarantee you that if you surveyed a 1000 people thinking of getting a tablet, the majority of them wouldn't have a clue that the new iPad does not in fact have a quad core CPU.

Why does that matter? Well it will sway a certain % of people towards getting the iPad over the Transformer Prime for example as they will think the specs are pretty much the same and Apples marketing genius will take care of the rest.

I personally couldn't care less; I have no interest in tablets and only a quality Windows 8 tablet, that transforms into a good laptop with a keyboard dock will result in me getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where did I say that I care?

I was just pointing out that there is an ambiguity about the 'quad core' specification of the new Apple tablet. I guarantee you that if you surveyed a 1000 people thinking of getting a tablet, the majority of them wouldn't have a clue that the new iPad does not in fact have a quad core CPU.

Why does that matter? Well it will sway a certain % of people towards getting the iPad over the Transformer Prime for example as they will think the specs are pretty much the same and Apples marketing genius will take care of the rest.

I personally couldn't care less; I have no interest in tablets and only a quality Windows 8 tablet, that transforms into a good laptop with a keyboard dock will result in me getting one.

I think people who are worried about whether a chip inside a machine is quad or dual core would also be clever enough to be able to research it before buying!

Don't see what the fuss is, as I genuinely don't fully understand what 'Quad-Core' is and I don't think most people worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

What is this retina display? Plus how does it improve the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

You're kidding right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

You're kidding right?

May God have mercy on us all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

On an iPad, the front facing camera is called an iSight camera, and with good reason, it scans the retinas of the person holding it matching the screen resolution, resulting in a perfectly clear display for the user. No need for reading glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

16gb wifi iPad 2 sold for €250. New iPad here I come! :D

Oh and new Apple TV ordered. Old one goes,off to the kitchen :P

On an iPad, the front facing camera is called an iSight camera, and with good reason, it scans the retinas of the person holding it matching the screen resolution, resulting in a perfectly clear display for the user. No need for reading glasses!

Also you're forgetting that the camera also tracks your eye movement and screen will move as you move your eyes!

murpho999 wrote: »

Also you're forgetting that the camera also tracks your eye movement and screen will move as you move your eyes!

How could I have forgotten retina gestures??

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

thie iSight is also used to unlock your device. it recognises your retina and makes sure no one else can get inot your ipad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I see this ending badly when previous poster buys new iPad and thinks no-one can gain access to it because of Retina iSecurity.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You're kidding right?

:confused: Perfectly normal question, why would he be kidding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

thie iSight is also used to unlock your device. it recognises your retina and makes sure no one else can get inot your ipad.

You get one free with every eye check at Specsavers:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Apple UK is "Pre-order", Apple store Ireland is "Coming soon".

Yeah, wondering about that. Pre-order is better if you want personalisation (gift) or just getting to a shop is messy. Wonder why it is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

As helpful as ever in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

According to this article, the retina display will give more grief than benefit:confused:http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-03/new-ipads-crazy-screen-mixed-blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

xabi wrote: »
    :confused: Perfectly normal question, why would he be kidding?

In fairness to that poster maybe they didn't know but it's been explained as nauseum in various other places. A quick google will tell the user all they need to know.

Regarding the quad core, myself and my mates followed the launch on Gizmodo's feed and ended up discussing afterwards whether the iPad was quad core or dual core. It took a small while for it to become apparent that it was the traditional A5 with a hefty GPU upgrade. I believe also there's 1Gb cache in there too so all in all it's a decent package.

alcyst wrote: »

Yeah, wondering about that. Pre-order is better if you want personalisation (gift) or just getting to a shop is messy. Wonder why it is different?

It launches a week earlier in UK than here. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

alcyst wrote: »

It launches a week earlier in UK than here. Simple as that.

According to the cult of mac website, UK orders are now 2-3 weeks so demand is obviously high which could have a knock on effect on availability here

I think you can pre order by calling apple Ireland. Can't confirm it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

What is availability expected to be like in the shops ?

I know that's hard to predict but what was it like when the ipad2 was released, were shops sold out for weeks on end or was it generally available ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

whiterebel wrote: »
    I see this ending badly when previous poster buys new iPad and thinks no-one can gain access to it because of Retina iSecurity.....:D

Oh na thats ok - that will be taken care off by the security laser. Isight scans the retina - realises the person using it is not the owner - off fires the security laser - thief is blinded - hey presto data is secure :D

Advertisement