Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm going to wait to see one in the flesh as I watch a lot of video content on the iPad and am a little worried that the screen is actually "too good" and video, especially streamed content may look poor.

Maybe the screen isn't large enough for this to be a major issue at normal viewing distance but I'd like to see one in the real world before splashing the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What is availability expected to be like in the shops ?

I know that's hard to predict but what was it like when the ipad2 was released, were shops sold out for weeks on end or was it generally available ?

There's already a 2-3 week delay on UK orders now so id say it'll be the same over here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adox wrote: »
    I'm going to wait to see one in the flesh as I watch a lot of video content on the iPad and am a little worried that the screen is actually "too good" and video, especially streamed content may look poor.

Maybe the screen isn't large enough for this to be a major issue at normal viewing distance but I'd like to see one in the real world before splashing the cash.

Sorry but low quality streams will look poor on any screen. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

squonk wrote: »
    In fairness to that poster maybe they didn't know but it's been explained as nauseum in various other places. A quick google will tell the user all they need to know.

:rolleyes: As someone already said, helpful as ever in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

If anybody is going to sell their ipad2 get them up on ebay asap. Mine (16gb, wifi, smart cover) has just gone to a UK buyer for €354 which is quite ludicrous considering a brand new one isn't much more. I've seen three more from Ireland go for just under €340 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

mark_79 wrote: »
    If anybody is going to sell their ipad2 get them up on ebay asap. Mine (16gb, wifi, smart cover) has just gone to a UK buyer for €354 which is quite ludicrous considering a brand new one isn't much more. I've seen three more from Ireland go for just under €340 tonight.

Really? :eek:

I was selling mine for €250 but the sale fell through :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

mad muffin wrote: »

Yep. I'm watching one (16gb wifi) due to sell in the next 30 mins and its at €320 at the moment.

Maybe they are in short supply over there or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mad money.

They're €311 on the PC World site.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/APPLE-iPad-2-with-WiFi-16GB/304702/2.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Dades wrote: »
    Mad money.

They're €311 on the PC World site.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/APPLE-iPad-2-with-WiFi-16GB/304702/2.7

Back to original price unfortunately, thanks for that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

No preorders for Ireland so unless compub have them on realese well be waiting a week r two , spoke to apple this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

What is this retina display? Plus how does it improve the screen?

You're kidding right?

May God have mercy on us all
    No need to be so arrogant just because he's not a fanboy, he was only asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No need to be so arrogant just because he's not a fanboy, he was only asking a question.

I think they were just messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

mad muffin wrote: »

you're giving it away for €250! you can get that much for it from O2's recycle program. I've had a couple of offers of €300 for mine but not through the jokers on adverts though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Just old mine for €270.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Arnotts are running a waiting list.... Put my name down yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Quick question, is the price of iPad 2 likely/due to drop in 3 weeks time again when the new ipad is on the shelves?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Quick question, is the price of iPad 2 likely/due to drop in 3 weeks time again when the new ipad is on the shelves?

No. Apple have already knocked a 100 off the price of the iPad 2. They aren't going to reduce it again as it will take away sales from the iPad 3. If you want a bigger discount keep an eye on the refurb store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Will both AT&T and Verzion versions work over here. I know only one version of the iPhone 4s works over here. Is it the same with then iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

sold mine today for 300 quite happy with that now to be honest , anyone know are the like of pc world/currys or compub doing waiting lists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

From what I can tell, you can now pay your Netflix subscription through your iTunes account on an Apple TV. I assume this means you can now pay using iTunes gift cards! Very handy if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple don't tend to set aside stock for each country's online Apple Store. If there's delay in the US, there will be a delay here as well. As with the last two times, if you want the new iPad on launch day, you should get it in a bricks and mortar shop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

leemaree wrote: »

Of course it will, it happens every year, it's part of the tactic that makes the ipad/iphone more desirable.

It's not like apple are so great at making products, so great at marketing them that they wouldn't realistically know in advance what kind of demand there will be...but then if there's no queue, if it's readily available, where's the sense that you got something special and that you're one of the few who did :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Mactard wrote: »
    Of course it will, it happens every year, it's part of the tactic that makes the ipad/iphone more desirable.

It's not like apple are so great at making products, so great at marketing them that they wouldn't realistically know in advance what kind of demand there will be...but then if there's no queue, if it's readily available, where's the sense that you got something special and that you're one of the few who did :pac:

Hmm whilst I'd agree it was predictable - its not just about marketing. Production considerations doubtless play a role. It takes a long time to ramp up production for high tech products like ipads (both for Apple and components suppliers). Its not just the case where you can switch off the ipad2 lines and flick a switch to make them ipad3 lines. I'd imagine particular the retina display lines will have crap yields for the first few months/year.

There's no doubt that Apple know how to exploit the demand that their products generate, but I don't believe for a second that they create artificial stock shortages. Yes, they tend to consistently underestimate demand, but this is because they don't want a big backlog of stock taking up storage. This was one of the big changes to Apple's business that Cook made when he joined the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Planning on going to Belfast next Friday for the launch. Will it be on sale first thing in the morning? Last year it was 5pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hmm whilst I'd agree it was predictable - its not just about marketing. Production considerations doubtless play a role. It takes a long time to ramp up production for high tech products like ipads (both for Apple and components suppliers). Its not just the case where you can switch off the ipad2 lines and flick a switch to make them ipad3 lines. I'd imagine particular the retina display lines will have crap yields for the first few months/year.

Pretty much this. Apple don't need to create an artificial demand for their products. Supply was so tight with the iPad2 that it wasn't even available on the Apple employee's store for several months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hey do ipad's have GPS chips in them ?

Hey do ipad's have GPS chips in them ?

The 3G models have an A-GPS chip, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

RVN10 wrote: »
    sold mine today for 300 quite happy with that now to be honest , anyone know are the like of pc world/currys or compub doing waiting lists ?

Currys/PC World aren't doing reservation lists, details here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056570765

Was in Compub Grafton St today. They will put you on a list but will only start contacting people on it once they are satisfied that any queues outside the shop on launch day have been looked after first.

Austin

Advertisement