Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

lavine7 wrote: »
    How long can the iPad 2 be expected to be available after the release of the iPad3?
    I'm heading to the US in the summer and was hoping to pick up a cut-price iPad 2 but would they even be available 3 months after the release of iPad 3? I'm wondering if I should wait till I get over there or get some US friends to pick me up one after they're discounted but before they're discontinued?

There's rumours of an 8gb iPad 2 being announced next week as well (check out macrumors.com - on phone at the moment so don't know how to cut and paste link)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

lavine7 wrote: »
    How long can the iPad 2 be expected to be available after the release of the iPad3?
    I'm heading to the US in the summer and was hoping to pick up a cut-price iPad 2 but would they even be available 3 months after the release of iPad 3? I'm wondering if I should wait till I get over there or get some US friends to pick me up one after they're discounted but before they're discontinued?

When the iPad 2 was released the iPad 1 was immediately discontinued. But Apple continued to sell it in their online refurb store for quite some time after. They also sold it on their non-US stores at a discount until the iPad 2 was released locally.

So if Apple do the same thing again with the iPad 3 you'll be able to buy a discounted iPad 2 from the Irish store on the day of the announcement. However, with the rumoured price increase of the iPad 3, it's possible Apple will keep the iPad 2 around as a lower end model like they do with the iPhone 3GS and 4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Could it be a dual launch
    We have something you really have to see (Apple TV). And touch (iPad 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

godtabh wrote: »

Its widely expected to be a dual launch going by the product id numbers leaked from suppliers and freight companies. Its expected 3 ipad3 models, an apple TV model and some mystery product (cut price/spec ipad2 maybe ?)

However I don't think the ad refers to that - I'm wondering if they have built haptic feedback into the thing - in other words when you touch the screen it makes you feel like you are touching a button. The tech has been in development for some time. So this is my prediction based on no evidence as to what that means.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm not talking about an Apple TV 3 but an actual LCD/LED/Plasma Apple TV

• Advertisement

Oh no clue - though that would seem a strange market for them to be getting into no ?

In other news...
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/29/sky-offers-betting-odds-on-ipad-3-features/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never thought of that, but it's a possibility.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399915,00.asp

Effectively an iMac with a 42" screen and trimmed down specs, running iOS. Use your iPad or iPhone as a remote/game controller.

It could theoretically be the "all in one" holy grail living room device that's been talked about for years; TV, PC, games console, media centre in one device that hangs on the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They'll save any new Apple TV product announcements for a separate event.

seamus wrote: »
    Never thought of that, but it's a possibility.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399915,00.asp

Effectively an iMac with a 42" screen and trimmed down specs, running iOS. Use your iPad or iPhone as a remote/game controller.

It could theoretically be the "all in one" holy grail living room device that's been talked about for years; TV, PC, games console, media centre in one device that hangs on the wall.

I'd buy something like that!

Apple talks about hubs. The mac was the hub of many thinkgs ie ipod, music etc. iCloud is the latest hub for mac, iPad,iPhone, iPod, iTouch

The Apple TV could be the family hub. Its were a lot of people spend a lot of their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Still trying to figure out whether I'd get any use from an iPad tbh, nifty gadget but between an iPhone and an iMac I can't see myself using another device sandwiched somewhere in the middle.

Will follow this with interest just in case :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nah. 'see' = new higher res iPad display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Savman wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out whether I'd get any use from an iPad tbh, nifty gadget but between an iPhone and an iMac I can't see myself using another device sandwiched somewhere in the middle.

I'm the same. I bought a macbook air as my mobile Internet/entertainment hub about 18 months ago so cant justify getting this as well. If I hadnt bought that it might be a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I've no doubt that Apple will get into actual Apple TV sets, sooner rather than later. After all, Steve Jobs was said to have claimed to have pretty much cracked such a thing shortly before his death. But they're not going to effectively sabotage the launch of the iPad 3 with the announcement of an Apple TV set on the same day. The iPad 3 would be drowned in media terms in the media frenzy around an Apple TV set. The iPad 3 is much too important to Apple to play second fiddle on its own launch day.

So iPad 3 and a souped-up AppleTV box for next week.

It may be overly simplistic, but you could reasonably space out the major announcements with some air either side of them. iPad 3 launch in March; Apple TV set in June/July; iPhone 5 in Sept/Oct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hopefully Apple put some time into improving battery life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Savman wrote: »

Hey Savman I hear you.

But actually there is a use I want a hi-definition pad like display for. Honestly I don't care aobut music video or apps. But I do read alot of research articles in pdf format. I no longer print them unless absolutely necessary as I hate the clutter it generates. Therefore I read them off the computer screen. I don't like reading them off the computer screen.

So I've come to realise I would like a retina display tablet device purely for the task of reading papers. Something handy I can hold in my hand whilst on the couch, in bed, on a bus, on a flight, that displays in great quality, allows me to pull up papers I'm interested in - perhaps stuff I browsed on the net and added to my library, and lets me do basic highlighted and note-taking - that would be a useful thing to me.
    Frankly I don't care what make it is - but it seems like Apple will be well ahead on this retina display lark

faceman wrote: »
    Hopefully Apple put some time into improving battery life.

The inclusion of a Retina screen isn't going to allow much room for improvement. I'd say they'll be struggling just to keep the battery life the same. If the component leaks are true the iPad 3 is going to be a few millimetres thicker, probably in order to fit a bigger battery in.

The iPad's battery life is pretty damn good as it is IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The inclusion of a Retina screen isn't going to allow much room for improvement. I'd say they'll be struggling just to keep the battery life the same. If the component leaks are true the iPad 3 is going to be a few millimetres thicker, probably in order to fit a bigger battery in.

The iPad's battery life is pretty damn good as it is IMO.

Absolutely. No problem getting a full day doing presentations hooked up to a projector. I'm constantly surprised how long it goes between charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I can't see them releasing the rumored Apple TV all-in-one next week. But I doubt they'll release a small upgrade to Apple TV2 either. I'd say it could be just the iPad and maybe a few accessories to go with it. Maybe this June could be a nice time to release an updated ATV.

March - iPad
    June - ATV (With Mountain Lion released alongside it)
    September - iPhone

Nice 3 month gap in releasing their updates and a nice steady revenue coming in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

its gone a bit quiet on this thread with only two days to go.

no further rumours or sightings of the new device??

:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All the rumours suggests, visually at least, it'll be almost identical to the old one... boring!

Will be interesting to see if there are any surprises on Wednesday, or will it just be confirmation of what people already know. I guess it can't be any more disappointing than the iPhone 4S launch!

I really just want to know when I can get my sweaty hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

its gone a bit quiet on this thread with only two days to go.

no further rumours or sightings of the new device??

:P
    I think everyone's distinctly underwhelmed; expecting the same device, faster processor, more RAM, perhaps a 128GB option, and a retina display. Big whoop :)

There doesn't seem to be any rumours of any groundbreaking additions to the iPad or any new Apple devices, so it's a bit of a non-event really.

The HD display will be my biggest criteria for getting the iPad 3.
    Going to sell my 32GB iPad to fund it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Are Apple streaming the event live or will we have to rely on the usual suspects such as Engadget et all for updates? I presume it will be around 6pm Irish time if previous events are anything to go by.

No stream. And yeah, it starts 6pm our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm hoping there's at least haptic feedback. It'll be a bit of a change for us users if there's that at least. I keep wondering though if we can be certain that those parts that turned up are actually current iPad 3 parts? They could be early development parts and I'm wondering if the front is an actual iPad 3 part or just a generic front panel, which might tell us nothing. From Apple's point of view, if they were going to keep the home button, they might as well make the iPad2 front the exact same as the iPad3 front as it reduces tooling costs.

I'm a bit excited but I'd be happier now if the leaks hadn't come out. Who knows, we may yet be surprised. Apple do have a patent for gestures on the bezel to control a tablet device so we may yet be surprised and realise that that front facing iPad panel was a 2 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

No stream. And yeah, it starts 6pm our time.

Its a pity they don't steam these - am I right in saying they ran a trial about two years ago for the iPhone 4 launch, where they live streamed it but you could only watch on an apple device?

I wonder if its a capacity issue, surely with their new massive datacentre they'd manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some very interesting rumours about the ipad 3 having haptic feedback. This looks amazing, plenty of videos on youtube with Senseq demoing it. You don't even need to touch the screen to feel the feedback.

Advertisement