Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I seriously doubt that technology will be ready for another few years. I think people might be setting themselves up for disappointment again. The blogs always start throwing out ridiculous made-up crap in the hours before the event. It's their last chance to get some hits. All anyone should expect from the new iPad is a Retina screen, a better camera, more RAM and Siri.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

seamus wrote: »
    the same device, faster processor, more RAM, perhaps a 128GB option, and a retina display

How would that be "the same device", exactly? :)

I found it amusing that the iPhone 4S offered a new generation CPU, double the RAM, a brand new camera module and an improved antennae, yet in people's minds it was just the same old phone as the iPhone 4. If Apple had pimped out the case but left the phone's innards the same, then I suspect they would be thinking "ground breaking new iPhone".

But then again all that didn't hurt sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cornbb wrote: »
    I found it amusing that the iPhone 4S offered a new generation CPU, double the RAM, a brand new camera module and an improved antennae, yet in people's minds it was just the same old phone as the iPhone 4. If Apple had pimped out the case but left the phone's innards the same, then I suspect they would be thinking "ground breaking new iPhone".
    Hmmm. If you updated the CPU, RAM and webcam on your desktop, would you consider it a "new" computer?

None of those updates are hardly significant, unlike, say, the change to retina display from iPad 2 to iPad X.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What about the iPad Mini & the iPhone5, is there any hope of them making an appearance tonight. They really need to bring out both yesterday before android fully takes over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What about the iPad Mini & the iPhone5, is there any hope of them making an appearance tonight. They really need to bring out both yesterday before android fully takes over.

Nope. The iPhone 5 isn't due until late summer at the earliest, and the "iPad Mini" will probably never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cornbb wrote: »
    How would that be "the same device", exactly? :)
    Because it doesn't actually do anything new. It's the same thing, just a bit faster. Retina display is nice, but I imagine most people wouldn't be chomping at the bit for it. Though to be fair, I've haven't used an iPad for any extended period of time. I just never considered the difference between the iPhone 3G and 4 display to be "wow", just nice.

For example, the iPhone 4 came with front and rear cameras in addition to the form factor redesign. The iPhone 3G was the same form factor (effectively) as the 2G, but they stuck in a 3G chip and GPS. New functionality.

The iPhone 4S landed with a dull thud because they basically said, "It's the exact same thing you have now, just a bit faster. Oh, and Siri". The same thing with the 3GS really - though with the 3GS, people were already starting to notice performance problems with the 3G. This time around, the iPhone 4 is still hammering along strong, people don't see "faster" as a big need because the iP4 isn't slow.

Maybe it's an expectations issue, they spent a few years jamming feature after feature into their devices, so people expect that to continue. A speed increase is the minimum you would expect in a new device, so when that's all they reveal, people think, "Great, so what?".

It just seems to me that a faster device is analogous to a car manufacturer coming in and saying, "This year's model is exactly the same as last year's, except that it will now do 0-100, 0.25 seconds faster and it'll get an additional 2mpg".

I don't agree that Apple have been "jamming feature after feature" into anything, ever. The updates have always been incremental; new features only go in when they are ready to, For example, no iPhone has added anything truly mindblowing in one increment, but over time the differences become hugely significant and it remains the world's best-selling smartphone.

The key thing is: this approach works. The iPhone4S was greeted with disappointment when people realised there was nothing physically new that they could wave around and show off, but it still sold like hotcakes because it was still a very solid upgrade and the case design remains iconic.

"it doesn't actually do anything new" requires some elaboration too. The iPhone/iPad have very rarely added new physical features, with the exception of the odd camera. The significant features in these devices have always come via software updates - the physical designs of the devices defer entirely to the display. Do people want to see a new enclosure design just for the sake of it? What new physical "functionality" would you like to see, realistically speaking?

The store is down, btw :)

http://store.apple.com/ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Live scenes from the conference

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1317708806

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I really can't see how Apple will 'wow' at this launch. A tablet is just that, a tablet. Its not a Mac (or a PC) so once it reaches a certain level of speediness, anything beyond that is irrelevant. I don't need a high powered processor just to browse the net and use some apps

Maybe apple are going to aim for the gaming market in a bigger way?

Either way unless there is something groundbreaking tonight (like the iPad now making you tea) this will be a bigger disappointment than the 4S launch IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Sorry lads, probably been asked already but what time does the presentation start? Irish time? 6/7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

faceman wrote: »
    I really can't see how Apple will 'wow' at this launch. A tablet is just that, a tablet. Its not a Mac (or a PC) so once it reaches a certain level of speediness, anything beyond that is irrelevant. I don't need a high powered processor just to browse the net and use some apps

Maybe apple are going to aim for the gaming market in a bigger way?

Either way unless there is something groundbreaking tonight (like the iPad now making you tea) this will be a bigger disappointment than the 4S launch IMO.

This sums it up for me, it will be an interative improvement on previous ipads, and all these improvements will add little real world benefit to the end user, bar a bigger epeen when comparing your new improved ipad 3 to your poor mates ipad 2.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Sorry lads, probably been asked already but what time does the presentation start? Irish time? 6/7pm?

6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

6pm.

Major shock. The launch has just been cancelled!
    Anyone know why??:confused:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Major shock. The launch has just been cancelled!
    Anyone know why??:confused:
    Twitter: pulling the rug out from under online hoaxes since 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The irish store is down :cool:

http://store.apple.com/ie

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Even though I do I have no intention of buying an iPad I do enjoy reading the live blogs as they are announcing the new products. Maybe some updates for iOS?

Battleflag wrote: »
    Even though I do I have no intention of buying an iPad I do enjoy reading the live blogs as they are announcing the new products. Maybe some updates for iOS?

Yeah, iOS 5.1 is expected.

An iOS5.1 preview/update appears to be on the way. I suspect iOS5.1 will have a gold version of Siri.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

seamus wrote: »
    An iOS5.1 preview/update appears to be on the way. I suspect iOS5.1 will have a gold version of Siri.

When is SIRI meant to be working fully in Ireland, i've only played with it, couldn't find a whole lot of use for it especially finding a restaurant or bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Supposedly a leaked photo of the next gen iPad?!?

195526.jpeg

I see they kept the Home Button :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

That haptic electro static screen is the mutt's nuts....but I don't think this iPad will have it because Apple would normally buy out such a company in order to gain exclusivity of such a feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There will not be an iPad mini and why should there?

Iphone 5 is a separate product and release and will be done later in year and next year as they are not finished selling shedloads of iPhone 4s.

Where is Android taking over?

Also, don't see how you are comparing Android O/S to a need for new Hardware in iPhone 5 and mini Ipad.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Starting now...

So we're now in the "Post -PC Revolution"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

from 9to5mac.com :

12:50: Spoiler alert: Here is everything new that will get announced today (thanks Mr. X!)

MD328LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 16GB WHITE – USA
    MC705LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 16GB BLACK -USA
    MD329LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 32GB WHITE – USA
    MD706LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 32GB BLACK -USA
    MD330LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 64GB WHITE -USA
    MC707LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 64GB BLACK -USA

MD366LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 4G 16GB BLACK -USA
    MD369LL/A- IPAD WI-FI 4G 16GB WHITE -USA
    MD367LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 4G 32GB BLACK -USA
    MD370LL/A- IPAD WI-FI 4G 32GB WHITE -USA
    MD368LL/A – IPAD WI-FI 4G 64GB BLACK -USA
    MD371LL/A- IPAD WI-FI 4G 64GB WHITE -USA

MD098LL/A – APPLE DIGITAL AV ADAPTER
    MD199LL/A – APPLE TV – USA

murpho999 wrote: »
    So we're now in the "Post -PC Revolution"

All he means by that is that the PC (including the Mac) is no longer the centre of our digital world. It's a reference as much to iCloud as to the iPad. But obviously many people will take offence at it, which is why I'd rather Apple came up another term for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Still trying to big up Siri, which has got to be the biggest turd apple have ever shipped in the modern era.

• Advertisement

I'm reluctant to judge Siri properly until there's an Irish localisation of it. Which from the sounds of it, is still a bit off. I'd imagine the Paddy version is low on the list of Apple's priorities.

Advertisement