Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Its a good specs bump, but nothing special in fairness. You'd wonder what the R&D department are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Its a good specs bump, but nothing special in fairness. You'd wonder what the R&D department are doing.

Wondering to themselves why then bother when people will still buy the stuff by the truck load regardless.

The new screen is awesome but not enough to justify stepping up from I pad 2.

What is the name of it actually?

Edit - new I pad apparently - what a stupid name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

What do you think they should've come out with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

What's the largest tablet device that's currently on the market? Anything with a screen equivelent to an A4 sheet of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So what were you expecting?

New laptops come out all the time but do nothing new and nobody questions or complains about them.

Laptops look the same as 10 years ago and function the same.

It's a hardware device.

All the magic is in the software which is not what today's about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Will always skip a year, so I'm gonna wait for 4. The improvements are twice that for the same price! Will enter a few competitions tho as I wouldn't say no to a free one!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It now has better graphics and memory then the XBox360 or PS3. That is huge step up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Waiting for confirmation, but looks like they are just calling it "iPad". I guess having a number after the name doesn't make sense when they are discontinuing the old version. It's different with phones.

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Wondering to themselves why then bother when people will still buy the stuff by the truck load regardless.

The new screen is awesome but not enough to justify stepping up from I pad 2.

I don't know if the screen will be all that fantastic in real world use. The new resolution will cause even 1080P video to be upscaled and pixelated. Custom made apps will looks fantastic though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hobbes wrote: »
    It now has better graphics and memory then the XBox360 or PS3. That is huge step up.

6 years is a looooong time tho. Still impressive but you can only imagine where console gaming will be next gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Waiting for confirmation, but looks like they are just calling it "iPad". I guess having a number after the name doesn't make sense when they are discontinuing the old version. It's different with phones.

Would that not solve the whole next gen iPhone issue? It should be iPhone 5 but it's really 6th gen? Naming problems gone but just dropping the number and calling it the 2012 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is misguided at best, it has much inferior GPU grunt than a PS3 or Xbox, it just pushes more pixels as PS3 and Xbox cap out at the 1080p maximum of existing TV displays whereas this can push 2048 by 1536.

Still waiting (in hope) for Haptic touch. :D

I like the looks for iPhoto. Really nice UI.

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is misguided at best

It is what they said in the presentation.

“This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3."

Their quote, not mine.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So what were you expecting?

New laptops come out all the time but do nothing new and nobody questions or complains about them.

Laptops look the same as 10 years ago and function the same.

It's a hardware device.

All the magic is in the software which is not what today's about!

Nothing really, all the rumours pointed at the resolution and CPU/GPU bump. Would like to see some innovation though, just look at what Asus are doing with their tabs/padfone.

I guess when you have a giant loyal fanbase and your own operating system, you don't have to put so much effort into making your product stand out. The developers are the ones clamouring for attention, so they'll produce great apps and do the hard work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Would that not solve the whole next gen iPhone issue? It should be iPhone 5 but it's really 6th gen? Naming problems gone but just dropping the number and calling it the 2012 model?

Not really. Like I said, the iPhone is different because Apple are still producing and selling the 3GS and the 4 alongside the 4S and they need a way for people to differentiate them. Where as the old iPad is discontinued the minute the new one is a released. In that sense iPad has more in common with the iPod than the iPhone.

Supports 19 Megapixel images. Not bad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Supports 19 Megapixel images. Not bad.

Tell that to the new 5D mkIII owners.

just look at what Asus are doing with their tabs/padfone.

I would hardly call sticking a phone into the back of a netbook innovative.

Also Android have still to fix the touch screen mess in their operating system.

• Advertisement

Nothing really, all the rumours pointed at the resolution and CPU/GPU bump. Would like to see some innovation though, just look at what Asus are doing with their tabs/padfone.

I guess when you have a giant loyal fanbase and your own operating system, you don't have to put so much effort into making your product stand out. The developers are the ones clamouring for attention, so they'll produce great apps and do the hard work.

And you don't think Apple deserve some credit for creating the device in the first place so that developers can develop software?

Would Asus have made their device if Apple hadn't made the iPad?

It is what they said in the presentation.

“This new device has more memory and higher screen resolution than an Xbox 360 or PS3."

Their quote, not mine.

Higher Screen Resolution != better graphics in any way shape or form per your comment above.

It does have more memory but consoles don't need much memory, it doesn't make it better for gaming than a PS3 or xbox, its a comment aimed to mislead.

My phone has more memory than an xbox or PS3, so did my last phone, doesn't mean its better for gaming though as they attempt to imply in their blurb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

5uspect wrote: »
    Tell that to the new 5D mkIII owners.

Please! What are D800 owners going to do with their 36.3 megapixels?

Hmm

Inquitus wrote: »
    Higher Screen Resolution != better graphics in any way shape or form per your comment above.

It does have more memory but consoles don't need much memory, it doesn't make it better for gaming than a PS3 or xbox, its a comment aimed to mislead.

My phone has more memory than an xbox or PS3, so did my last phone, doesn't mean its better for gaming though as they attempt to imply in their blurb!

Can you show me the blurb please where Apple say their devices are better than consoles?

murpho999 wrote: »
    And you don't think Apple deserve some credit for creating the device in the first place so that developers can develop software?

Would Asus have made their device if Apple hadn't made the iPad?

For their original iPad yes, but all they've done since is refresh the specs.

Definitely not. Apple definined the tablet market as it is now, but Asus took a product and turned it into something innovative and unique (the original transformer/upcoming padfone).

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

iPad 2 drops $100.

iPad 2 price drop by $100. Thinking the same in €? Doesn't mention discontinuing it though?

EDIT: Confirmed that they'll keep selling the iPad 2 for $399 and +3G model for $529. 16GB model only!

For their original iPad yes, but all they've done since is refresh the specs.

Definitely not. Apple definined the tablet market as it is now, but Asus took a product and turned it into something innovative and unique (the original transformer/upcoming padfone).

I don't see what's so innovative about that....looks ugly for one thing!

• Advertisement

Continuing to sell the iPad 2 alongside the "iPad" is stupid. They should have called it the iPad 3 if that was the case.

Advertisement