Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year Arts

• 28-02-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Currently in Arts 1.
    Want to do History and English next year but I'm terrified of being bogged down.

I do like both subjects but I found I did modules this year I hated.

Anyone been there with these subjects? Advice?

My interests in English; Fiction, Film, maybe poetry
    My interests in History; Modern Ireland; US history

I do Politics also but 1st year didn't do much to convince me to consider it. But I am open to hearing about the modules for it too!

I plan to do a joint to keep secondary school teaching in my options..

Advice? Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Currently in Arts 1.
    Want to do History and English next year but I'm terrified of being bogged down.

Much much more freedom this year. You essentially structure your degree this year on. First year is very rigid in that there's a narrow scope of choice.

US History is excellent in UCC. Prof. David Ryan teaches the course as far as I'm aware and he's one of the best at the job. There might be someone else handling the course but for the most part it's extremely interesting.

Irish history also very strong. I tended to avoid much of it due to a lack of interest but the staff handling the course are superb and know their stuff top to bottom. Pick any modules you may have an interest.

Wouldn't know anything about these content-wise but it may be good advice to stick to good lecturers. Like Barry Monahan (dreamy Barry) and Andrew King have a popular following and people queue for their seminars/modules. I'd recommend looking through the book of modules and see what catches your attention.
    I do Politics also but 1st year didn't do much to convince me to consider it. But I am open to hearing about the modules for it too!

You'll really need an interest in doing it for the next two years. You can't drop them. Also if you're looking to keep secondary open, Politics may not be conducive to teaching but it may bolster your understanding of history. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm keeping on Psychology, but I'm really conflicted about whether to keep on English or Spanish with it.

I'm interested in Film and Fiction too, I really enjoyed them this year, Poetry not so much.

It's really hard to make a decision, although I'm not sure if Erasmus is essential to get a top grade in Spanish in my final year. If it is then I'll have to go with English. I've really no interest in Erasmus, I just want to get this degree over and done with and move on to a postgrad.

So hard to know what to do!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Arabella

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Currently in Arts 1.

I plan to do a joint to keep secondary school teaching in my options..

Advice? Thanks guys :)

I'm in final year Single Hons English. There is a good choice of modules in Second Year that you can choose from. There is a film module (American Cinema/Genre) that looks at film from the silent period up until 1960. The module also looks at the study of genre cinema with an emphasis on two specific genres.

There are many modules that incorporate some fiction and poetry into their syllabus. Nineteenth Century American Literature is one that contains both fiction and poetry. There are also lots of seminars to choose from that deal with various aspects of film, fiction and poetry.

Deciding on which modules you want to do will depend on how many credits of English you wish to do and the timetabling of your other subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

I believe they study Itchy and Scratchy at Springfield University :D

On a more serious (not serious at all) note there is, or was, a module which gave a class on....

Advertisement