Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to hills perscription kidney diet for cats

• 28-02-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Just got home from the vets with my 8 and a half year old cat, she has been seeing in the house at night in the last couple of weeks something she has never done before which raised alarm bells.

He diagnosed a kidney infection and put her on antibiotics for the next 2 weeks and also recommended that she be put on hills perscription kidney diet due to her age and the fact that that this kind of thing tends to reoccur in older cats.

I however am not a big fan of hills, I think it is too expensive for what it is. If I am gong to spend that much money which I don't mind doing I would prefer to get something better. Are there any alternatives to hills that would be beneficial to her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just got home from the vets with my 8 and a half year old cat, she has been seeing in the house at night in the last couple of weeks something she has never done before which raised alarm bells.

He diagnosed a kidney infection and put her on antibiotics for the next 2 weeks and also recommended that she be put on hills perscription kidney diet due to her age and the fact that that this kind of thing tends to reoccur in older cats.

I however am not a big fan of hills, I think it is too expensive for what it is. If I am gong to spend that much money which I don't mind doing I would prefer to get something better. Are there any alternatives to hills that would be beneficial to her?

I'm really sorry to hear about puss. I'd recommend having a look on zooplus.ie, they have a huge range of dry and wet cat food and you can check out the ingredients and reviews of each product. I stumbled across them when I was taking my cats off Hills. Good luck and I hope puss feels better soon. I always give my cats a little bit of plain natural bio yoghurt after a course of antibiotics, it seems to settle their tummies. One will lick it off the spoon the other I have to mix into his wet food. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Is this her first time with a urinary issue?

Personally i wouldnt put her on a long term prescription diet especially if she is not prone to infections.
    What does she normally get to eat?

I have 2 that have issues. We feed all of ours applaws dry with wet the odd time, chicken, mince etc. With the 2 that were having big issues we ensured they were getting a good amount of fluid by steaming chicken breasts in water and using the water and some chicken in with their dry food. We started doing this as one of ours wont eat any type of wet food. This particular girl has not had a recurrance and has been fine for over a yr.
    The other girl is over 8 and gets the odd infection due to stress. We can spot the symptoms very quickly and she is put on a few days of rc s/o pouches with cranberry tablets crushed in it. also the chicken in water. This seems to work for her most of the time. The odd time it hasnt she has been brought to vet as soon as we think she needs ab's.
    I cant put her on a long term urinary food as she has the feline equivalant of crohns and ibs so we just have to work the best we can.

I would see if there is really a need for the prescription food, ie if its a regular problem etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Well she's on go cat at the moment, I know it's terrible but I spent forever trying to find a food that both cats would eat and they settled with that one so that was that, I was already going to switch them to a new food anyway as I want then to get the best. So I was thinking something akin but better than hills wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I buy from zooplus. 2x7kg applaws (€80) for 9 cats last a month. so it would last your guys almost 5 months @ about €16 euro per month. Its not bad value. You could look at other food options on site and find one to suit you. Buying bulk you def get better value and better food tbh.
    I would even send you a sample of the applaws, a little baggie from my guys stock if you would like to try them on it. Or e mail some of the companies and ask for tester packs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I buy from zooplus. 2x7kg applaws (€80) for 9 cats last a month. so it would last your guys almost 5 months @ about €16 euro per month. Its not bad value. You could look at other food options on site and find one to suit you. Buying bulk you def get better value and better food tbh.
    I would even send you a sample of the applaws, a little baggie from my guys stock if you would like to try them on it. Or e mail some of the companies and ask for tester packs?

Thanks I will look into it, I already get my dogs food from zooplus so that would be handy. I will email applaws and get them to send me a sample, don't want to be putting you to any bother. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement