Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowerless daffodils

Options
  • 28-02-2012 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I planted a load of daffodil bulbs around the perimeter of the back garden 4 years ago. Every year they come up and only 5 or 6 of the 20 bulbs grow with flowers on them. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Ive heard a few things like not leaving them rot away as opposed to lawn mowering them fairly quick after they wilt, will cause them to come up next year without flowers.

Id appreciate any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Repeated early mowing of the foliage after blooms fade will effectively undermine the bulbs ability to replenish adequate resources for the following year and will ultimately lead to bulb failure and decay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I agree with Sonnenblumen but another cause of blindness is not planting deeply enough. You need at least twice the depth of soil above the daffodil as the size of the bulb itself, i.e if the bulb is 1" from top to bottom then you need 2" of soil above the top. You should always leave daffodil foliage to die down naturally and when they have, you can dig them up and replant at the right depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks I'll do that. I'll leave them be and when they've died off of their own accord I'll dig them up and replant them. That might improve things next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

They need a certain amount of direct sun to form new flower for following year. So new bulbs planted in shade will flower nicely year one but diminish thereafter. The plant forms the basis of the following years flower in the 6 weeks or so after flowering so this is reason to leave the leaves for this period as they are providing energy needs for plant to do its work... but sun is part of process too.

I have bulbs in pots that I place to cheer up shady corners but when flowers are over I move to sunny part of garden to 'mature' for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

They dont like being overly crowded either..its agood idea after flowering to dig up and seperate any new bulbs,keeping a reasonable distance between them.

• Advertisement

I decided to dig up the offending daffodils today. My intention was to dig out a channel where they are along a fence and mix in some good peat and put in some new bulbs then. I was actually amazed when I dug them up because the bulbs had shrunk to less than an inch around. The stems were very long and rigid but no flower as I said before. With them being against a fence maybe the variety I got just didn't like the lack of sunlight. I'll dig it out in the summer and have it in good shape for September planting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Feed them with tomatoe plant food mixed up in a watering can now while the leaves are up , the nutrients will go into the bulbs for next years flowers

Trotter wrote: »
    I decided to dig up the offending daffodils today. My intention was to dig out a channel where they are along a fence and mix in some good peat and put in some new bulbs then. I was actually amazed when I dug them up because the bulbs had shrunk to less than an inch around. The stems were very long and rigid but no flower as I said before. With them being against a fence maybe the variety I got just didn't like the lack of sunlight. I'll dig it out in the summer and have it in good shape for September planting.

Throw them out and get new bulbs in Autumn, not worth the hassle of trying to save them, daffodils are very cheap. Always make sure you plant bulbs as soon as you can, the bulb is a food resource which is being depleted every minute it is out of the ground.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Throw them out and get new bulbs in Autumn, not worth the hassle of trying to save them, daffodils are very cheap. Always make sure you plant bulbs as soon as you can, the bulb is a food resource which is being depleted every minute it is out of the ground.

When would you recommend planting the new ones?

Trotter wrote: »
    When would you recommend planting the new ones?

September/October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

bmaxi wrote: »
    September/October.

Hi, sorry for jumping in, but will new bulbs survive the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, daffodils are very hardy.

Advertisement