Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s vs iPhone 4 - is it worth an extra fiver per month

• 28-02-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have an iPhone 4 on a vodafone €60 per month price plan. Got a call from vodafone today offering me a free iPhone 4s if I sign up to a €65 per month price plan. I never use up the minutes, texts, data etc on my current plan, so I certainly do not need the extra minutes etc on the new price plan.

Hence my question is: is the iPhone 4s worth an extra fiver per month compared to the iPhone 4?

cheers!

PS: I didn't post this query in the Vodafone forum, as my question essentially relates to apple products....

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Well, it isnt free.

on an 18 month contract, its gonna cost you 90 euro extra.

Now, seeing as Iphone4s's are going for appox 450 on adverts

Thats nice little profit to be made! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The iPhone 4s is halfeay through its life cycle.
    I'd pass if I were you, unless you really really want Siri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I have a 4 and I've used a friends 4s, tbh there is a difference but it's not worth signing up a new contract for. I'd wait for the 5....whenever it comes. Otherwise, unless you really really want a new phone, stick with what you have because you'll be kicking yourself when the 5 arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I have a 4S but having used the brothers 4 I'd recommend not upgrading. The 4S is a great phone but not THAT much better. Only upgraded myself because was coming from a 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,593 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People are forgetting that the 4S he is offer is prob a larger capacity than the 4 he has. (this was the case for me with Vodafone AU). That alone is worth the extra imo.
    The speed, camera etc are bonuses. Siri isn't much use. I've used in only a few times (I live in a supported country, maybe it struggles with accent).

60-120 quid (depending on 12-24 months) is a good price for an iphone. Then you can sell the existing iPhone4 one. Profit.

Looks liek an easy decision to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Thanks for all the replies folks.

As far as I know, I'll have to hand over the iPhone 4 back to vodafone, so there would be no profit to be made....

Hence my gut feeling is to hold off for the iPhone 5.

Have apple released info on the iPhone 5 yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

This post has been deleted.

When i upgraded from the 3GS to 4 I had to hand over the 3GS to vodafone....

There is always a catch (more than one usually!) with vodafone, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have the 4 and the missis has a 4S. Hers is marginally quicker, but other than that they might as well be the same model.

I've tried Siri and, in my experience, it sucks.

They just want you on a new 18/24 month contract which is a looong time in phoneland.

That said, if you're not going to be bothered when a new different iPhone with bigger screen and naked ladies comes out later this year, AND you can sell your current iPhone 4 - then maybe go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Dades wrote: »
    I have the 4 and the missis has a 4S. Hers is marginally quicker, but other than that they might as well be the same model.

I've tried Siri and, in my experience, it sucks.

They just want you on a new 18/24 month contract which is a looong time in phoneland.

That said, if you're not going to be bothered when a new different iPhone with bigger screen and naked ladies comes out later this year, AND you can sell your current iPhone 4 - then maybe go for it.

I have a 4S. Daughters and son have the 4. Can't really say there's a huge difference TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Signing up to a contract unless you absolutely have to is just a bad idea in general - especially a contract longer than 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks

I have an iPhone 4 on a vodafone €60 per month price plan. Got a call from vodafone today offering me a free iPhone 4s if I sign up to a €65 per month price plan. I never use up the minutes, texts, data etc on my current plan, so I certainly do not need the extra minutes etc on the new price plan.

Hence my question is: is the iPhone 4s worth an extra fiver per month compared to the iPhone 4?

cheers!

PS: I didn't post this query in the Vodafone forum, as my question essentially relates to apple products....

If you really want the 4s there are better options than handing back your 4 to Vodafone and then paying over the odds for a billpay plan you dont need. These devices have a strong resale value so you should have no problem selling on adverts.ie. If you aren't comfortable with that you could use O2's recycle scheme for example where they give you cash for the phone albeit lower than you would get in a private sale. If I were you (speaking as someone who just moved from a 4 to a 4s) I would hang onto the 4 but move from that €60 plan to a much cheaper rolling 30 day contract or PAYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

yes

it's faster, has more ram and a better camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You could sell the iPhone 4 and buy a SIM free 4S from Apple - if you have the upfront cash.

Then port your number to a cheaper operator on a SIM only plan. You already said you don't use all your minutes.

Then, when the iPhone 5 comes out sell the 4S and sign up to whatever operator / deal suits you at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wait a minute.

You don't use the miniutes texts or data on your current plan - why would you sign up to a more expensive plan ?

What you should do is don't sign a new contract. Move down a plan on a one month rolling basis. Put the extra cash a side for the next few months and put it towards and iphone 5/Samsung S3/HTC OneS or one of th eother many new phones coming out in the next few months.

Definitely do not sign an 18 month contract just to go from iphone4 to iphone 4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wait a minute.

You don't use the miniutes texts or data on your current plan - why would you sign up to a more expensive plan ?

What you should do is don't sign a new contract. Move down a plan on a one month rolling basis. Put the extra cash a side for the next few months and put it towards and iphone 5/Samsung S3/HTC OneS or one of th eother many new phones coming out in the next few months.

Definitely do not sign an 18 month contract just to go from iphone4 to iphone 4s

I bought an iPhone 4S (unwanted upgrade - brand new) on Adverts.ie a couple of weeks ago for €380. Just got the free microsim from Three and off I went.

For €20 a month I have All You Can Eat data; free texts to all networks; free calls to all networks at the weekend; free Three to Three calls; and €10 free credit per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Signing up to a contract unless you absolutely have to is just a bad idea in general - especially a contract longer than 12 months

The OP also probably has free data roaming included in his price plan at the moment which Vodafone will sneakily remove should he upgrade or change plan in any way. So it's much more than €5 a month extra if you do any travelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Wait a minute.

X2 on this.

I'd be moving down rather than up in plans if you're not even using all the allowance. It's a complete waste of money being on a higher cost plan if you're not even using the allowances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

From a Jailbreaking and third party unlocking point of view you would be better off with something pre A5.

Advertisement