Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trees for wet marshy ground

Options
  • 28-02-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

an area of my back garden is extremely wet. there are rushes growing in it. these months are particularly bad, i can't even walk in it. drainage is really poor. we cannot afford to get the drainage sorted in the next few years.

i planted some silver birch last year and a few downy birch. the downy birch survived but the silver birch didnt. i thought all brich would survive in those conditions.

i'm just wondering for more suggestions of trees that might grow. i don't want anything that will grow too tall, even though i know the birch grow high.

i was looking up willow on the internet, but i'm not sure what ones are the best...would love feedback
    i think poplars would grow there too, but they grow to a massive height.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Willows would be one of the better choices.
    You could also try alders and dogwoods.
    The dogwoods will not grow too tall but will need regular pruning to maintain the vibrancy of their colours. You would still - just - be able to buy them bare rooted which will be a lot cheaper than buying individual potted plants.
    If it's very soggy try bog myrtle or swamp cypress but I'd only use them if it's continually wet, all year round.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Common Alder should do ok, if downy birch survived. iirc it won't get that big - similar to birch, but it would give denser shade.

Advertisement