Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a grant after leaving a government job?

Options
  • 28-02-2012 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I have an enquiry which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I applied for a course in WIT in 2011, which I was accepted on to. I deferred the offer and took a job with the Defence Forces. However, I'm considering leaving this job (as I believe its not the type of employment for me) and accepting the course offer for 2012.

My question is, will I be entitled to a student grant after leaving a government job? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I have an enquiry which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I applied for a course in WIT in 2011, which I was accepted on to. I deferred the offer and took a job with the Defence Forces. However, I'm considering leaving this job (as I believe its not the type of employment for me) and accepting the course offer for 2012.

My question is, will I be entitled to a student grant after leaving a government job? Any help is appreciated.

Possibly - generally the grants are means assessed based on income at October of the previous year (ie October 2011) however if your income changes you can specifically ask for a change of circumstances taken into account

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Hmmm interesting. Pity there isn't any answer set in stone, I'd love to know soon. If I'm not entitled I'll take off to Canada. If I am, I'll have to crunch some numbers and see if I can afford to stay and attend college!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

It all depends on the level of income for 2011. If you are leaving your job and have a p45, you will be assessed on a change of income for 2012 and your 2011 income will not be included in the assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

achmairt wrote: »
    It all depends on the level of income for 2011. If you are leaving your job and have a p45, you will be assessed on a change of income for 2012 and your 2011 income will not be included in the assessment.

Really? So if I kept at the job up on till july, I would be assessed from january to july of this year only? When I deferred the course I stated it was due to monetary issues, would this matter mike a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Really? So if I kept at the job up on till july, I would be assessed from january to july of this year only? When I deferred the course I stated it was due to monetary issues, would this matter mike a difference?
    My understanding (although I may be wrong) is that you would be assessed on income for 12 months - so if you earned for example 24,000 and you worked till july your annual income would be 14,000

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Your 2011 income would be assessed first. The change of means would be then assessed on the 2012 income (annualised) going forward from the time you ended your job. If you are living with your parents, their income would have to be taken into account plus any part/time job you may have during term time.

achmairt wrote: »
    Your 2011 income would be assessed first. The change of means would be then assessed on the 2012 income (annualised) going forward from the time you ended your job. If you are living with your parents, their income would have to be taken into account plus any part/time job you may have during term time.

it does not matter if you gave financial reasons for deferring last year

Advertisement