Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stitches after section?

• 28-02-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone whose had a section can tell me how long it takes for dissolvable stitches to dissolve!?
    And also how long it takes the paper stitches to fall off? I peeled the edge back a bit today to see and the wound look red but ok, there was a large plastic looking loop of a stitch just sitting there, didn't look like it was going anywhere any time soon! I was surprised how much it stuck out and how plastic like it was! Now I'm afraid of what will happen when the paper stitches do come off as i don't want loops of stitches just hanging out catching on things! Whole thing freaked me out to be honest - my gp had a look yest so I know it's ok, but just forgot to ask her what I should expect!
    I had my section 2 weeks ago today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

The public health nurse told me around 10 - 14 days but I know mine took at least 3 weeks maybe a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I didn't have any visible stitching, just tiny butterfly plasters on exterior which I peeled off in shower on day 5 (as per docs instructions). My wound was red but fine too and i was all better very quickly. Maybe u should get the district nurse or your gp to snip the visible stitch as it might not dissolve if it's sticking out.

Best of luck for a swift recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jees, all my stitches had dissolved by the time I left the hospital the last time, I didn't have any bandages or plasters or anything over the wound by the time I was discharged. The first section they were taken out after a few days and the bandages taken off before I was discharged.

I guess you could give your gp a phone call and ask her? When you say you peeled back the edge, do you mean the edge of the bandage? Did the GP tell you how long to keep it on for? I assume that would act to stop the stitches coming away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Jees, all my stitches had dissolved by the time I left the hospital the last time, I didn't have any bandages or plasters or anything over the wound by the time I was discharged. The first section they were taken out after a few days and the bandages taken off before I was discharged.

I guess you could give your gp a phone call and ask her? When you say you peeled back the edge, do you mean the edge of the bandage? Did the GP tell you how long to keep it on for? I assume that would act to stop the stitches coming away?

Yeah it's almost like surgical tape over it but more sticky! They referred to it in hosp as paper stitches. I'm afraid to pull at it anymore as gp said they would eventually fall off and that was only a couple of days ago.
    I also am getting weird nerve type pains above the wound... Kinda stingy and tight? Oh I dunno I wish it would just be normal already!!!! I think these pains may be the nerves re-knitting or something? They are just around a section of skin above the wound which is all still numb! The gp said the numbness is normal and may always remain!! It's an area around the size of the palm of my hand - feels very weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Dublinlady. I think you should go back again to your GP, in case you have an infection. Better be sure than sorry

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    Dublinlady. I think you should go back again to your GP, in case you have an infection. Better be sure than sorry

Yeah I think I mite phone the ward I was in at holles st tom tO confirm what it should or should not look like and to see if the nerve pain is normal - if not I'll see the g.p.
    It's crap... They really should tell you more about what to expect it to be like so I know when to worry and when not to!
    Thanks for the advise ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

I had staples so can't say anything about the dissolvable stitches. Could always pop into your public health nurse to get them checked if thats more convenient than the GP/hospital?

Numbness and tingking are normal as far as I know. Still have numb areas nearly 2 years after my second section.

Pugins wrote: »
    I had staples so can't say anything about the dissolvable stitches. Could always pop into your public health nurse to get them checked if thats more convenient than the GP/hospital?

Numbness and tingking are normal as far as I know. Still have numb areas nearly 2 years after my second section.

I had forgotten about the PHN! Yes I may give them a call! :)
    The tingling is weird cos it's about 2 inches away from the wound - feels like I'm pulling at a stitch there... But there is none there!! Id say it's just cis the nerves are all over the place!

Yeah best to give the hospital a ring. I also think gp visits are free for the 1st six weeks after birth? My back is totally numb after my first section nearly 3 years ago....just s band around above my butt lol. But I was told sometimes the epidural can do that. Maybe its the same for you.

I know how you feel though, I really hope it starts healing up soon for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I just had one big long string woven through my wound with a bead on either end and it was removed by the nurse on day 4 I think..

I thought that was the standard procedure.. I guess there's various methods used in the different Hospitals..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

xzanti wrote: »
    I just had one big long string woven through my wound with a bead on either end and it was removed by the nurse on day 4 I think..

I thought that was the standard procedure.. I guess there's various methods used in the different Hospitals..

My friend had the bead one too, her scar was a lot higher up than mine though too. We were both in the same hospital, I had the ones that dessolve too

I had that type on my first section too, but on the second one they used the dissolvable kind. It was the same hospital though :D

January wrote: »

My friend had the bead one too, her scar was a lot higher up than mine though too. We were both in the same hospital, I had the ones that dessolve too

Yeah I knew there were ones which had to be removed but my surgeon said she's only used dissolvable for the last 2 yrs, I'll def phone them once I've fed the little troublemaker ;)

January what were your dissolvable ones like? Anything visible at all at any stage?

It def seems as tho there is one loop out on the right side but nothing anywhere else - cos of the paper stitches tho still hard to be sure!

I'll be honest, I never looked... I had a bit of an overhang after with the bump so I just washed it and patted it dry and that was it... nothing felt out of place though... I will say that 3 years on, I still have terrible trouble, my scar goes red raw and sore when I have a period :(

I'll be honest, I never looked... I had a bit of an overhang after with the bump so I just washed it and patted it dry and that was it... nothing felt out of place though... I will say that 3 years on, I still have terrible trouble, my scar goes red raw and sore when I have a period :(

3 yrs later and still sore... Crickey it just gets better!!! ;)

Well I went to the doc after phoning holles st - one of the dissolvable stitches which were meant to stay on the inside had half come out and this is what I was seeing and also what's causing the irritation - so the g.p cut it out and now I just need to keep an eye on it to make sure the redness doesn't develop into infection!

Sorted ! :)
    Thanks for the advise - glad I went as she said it could have become infected over weekend, and to be honest the loop of stitching was freaking me out! Kept thinking I'd catch it on something and do a lot of damage :(

Alls well that ends well - now if the baby would stop kicking the wound with her feet while I try to change her I'd be grand!!! :)

Have you got a changing table? I always lie the girls across my knee when changing, never towards me...

Have you got a changing table? I always lie the girls across my knee when changing, never towards me...

Have one upstairs in her room but during day we changing her on a changing
    Mat on a sideboard! It's at a bad level! I think we need to move to couch!!

Lol Dublin lady I've had my 2 year old toddler bouncing on my tummy for 3 months now. Eventually yesterday I had enough and showed him my scar...he hasn't done it since lol Let plenty of air at the scar when you can throughout the day and keep it clean and dry. If it starts to sting or ooze...go back to your gp.

January...mine gets red raw too sometimes and the gp recommended rowarolan powder, it really works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

dublinlady wrote: »
    Have one upstairs in her room but during day we changing her on a changing
    Mat on a sideboard! It's at a bad level! I think we need to move to couch!!

I'd suggest bringing the changing table downstairs, most of the changing will be done during the day and you need to be mindful of the strain on your back especially if you've only had an epidural or spinal a couple of weeks ago.

Its 4 years since my last section and I remember a knot sticking out at the side of my wound. If you have any concerns make use of your GP while it's free. Also my Gynae told me to keep my scar clean and dry using a hair dryer to dry it thoroughly after my shower. This worked a treat especially as I had an overhang after the birth.

Congrats on the new arrival, enjoy every day.

• Advertisement

Yes that's the one

Thanks! I'll pick some up tomorrow... to be honest I'm just so relieved that I'm not the only one it happens to! Thought there was something wrong with me, like I had an infection inside or something and I was in denial about it...

I'm wondering if it's the dissolvable stitches January? Because I never had any major problems (that I recall) the first time round. But this second scar needs an awful lot of maintenance. I wore low rise undies last week, omg the discomfort :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

I had no stitches after the section, there was a green plastic plaster thing on my wound which the nurse pulled off 72hours after the section ouch !!! and that was it, she said i was glued together or something its a new thing, no bead/stitches nothing.. just as well.. but in saying that, I am still sore around my scar area, and I get a tightness feeling there once in a while... but it goes, they say you not suppose to lift, drive or do housework for over 3 months after the c-section.....

purplecat wrote: »
    I had no stitches after the section, there was a green plastic plaster thing on my wound which the nurse pulled off 72hours after the section ouch !!! and that was it, she said i was glued together or something its a new thing, no bead/stitches nothing.. just as well.. but in saying that, I am still sore around my scar area, and I get a tightness feeling there once in a while... but it goes, they say you not suppose to lift, drive or do housework for over 3 months after the c-section.....

3 months???!!!! They told me 6 weeks and that's bad enough!!
    The pain is really improving quickly - I really didn't think I'd be this good so soon, really have to remind myself to take it easy!
    Since the gp cut out that stitch the niggly pain I had has left, now it's only sore when I cough, sneeze or get up after sitting for a long period!
    Doing 20-25 min walks at an easy pace and feel I couldn't go much more but glad to be able go that far none the less!
    One major drawback.... My horrible pouch... The rest of me is almost returning to normal - and then there's the yucky saggy swolen pouch!!!!

dublinlady wrote: »
    3 months???!!!! They told me 6 weeks and that's bad enough!!
    The pain is really improving quickly - I really didn't think I'd be this good so soon, really have to remind myself to take it easy!
    Since the gp cut out that stitch the niggly pain I had has left, now it's only sore when I cough, sneeze or get up after sitting for a long period!
    Doing 20-25 min walks at an easy pace and feel I couldn't go much more but glad to be able go that far none the less!
    One major drawback.... My horrible pouch... The rest of me is almost returning to normal - and then there's the yucky saggy swolen pouch!!!!

Re the driving, check with your insurance company. I'm with Axa and they told me I was clear to drive when my doctor said so. He gave me a certificate at 6 weeks. I never heard of no lifting or driving for three months? I've been lifting my 2 and a half year hold since almost day one! :D

Delighted that niggling pain is gone. Did they say anything about the numbness? Lol @ the swollen pouch :D 4 months later, the only time I notice the pain is when of the boys is kicking me, or when I pull the buggy back to get it up a step, I feel a dull tugging.

I'm wondering if it's the dissolvable stitches January? Because I never had any major problems (that I recall) the first time round. But this second scar needs an awful lot of maintenance. I wore low rise undies last week, omg the discomfort :eek:

It could probably be that... I've never mentioned it to the doc, but I'm back next week to discuss contraception (stupid depo provera) and will definitely mention it... no matter how much I wash it, pay it dry, put talc powder on it so it doesn't chaff... it still gets red raw and really sore and sweaty... and it's only when I've got my period... there has to be something up in there.

Re the driving, check with your insurance company. I'm with Axa and they told me I was clear to drive when my doctor said so. He gave me a certificate at 6 weeks. I never heard of no lifting or driving for three months? I've been lifting my 2 and a half year hold since almost day one! :D

Delighted that niggling pain is gone. Did they say anything about the numbness? Lol @ the swollen pouch :D 4 months later, the only time I notice the pain is when of the boys is kicking me, or when I pull the buggy back to get it up a step, I feel a dull tugging.

Yeah she said the numbness was normal and feeling may come back over coming months but also said it may never come back!! Eek!! It's the bloody pouch that's numb tho so I feel like until the numbness goes the pouch stays!! I need to do me some Pilates or something!! Prob have to wait a few more weeks before attempting anything like that I suppose!

I really can't imagine having a 2&1/2 yr old to look after & care for too! Fair play to ya is all I can say!! Ouch tho... Kicks in the belly! They did tell me not to lift anything heavier than my baby for six weeks - at 6&1/2lbs that's pretty restrictive!! Mind u good excuse to get out of doing the laundry!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm 7 weeks post section the day after tomorrow, and its only this last week my stomach feels back to normal. I had the long stitch with the bead on either end this time, and the wound is across the way. My previous 2 sections I was cut up the way and left with a rotten scar. It looks even worse now after bein stretched with the 3rd pregnancy:(. I'm like a T Junction on a road map now! I was really concerned as I healed very slowly this time, the stitch didn't come out till 20 days after surgery. I was on 2 courses of antibiotics, and convinced there was something badly wrong inside me. I felt sick getting it out, convinced I was going to open up. Some days I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach, it felt so bruised and sore to touch. Around the scar itself felt numb. About 10 days ago my stomach hurt so much I had to take painkillers. Then within a couple of days the soreness and numbness was completely gone, and my stomach suddenly shrank. I only drove again within the last few days, I was terrified I'd have to brake suddenly and do myself damage:eek:. Those dissolvable stitches sound great, but it's all down to what type your surgeon will use, unfortunately. Found that the recovery was harder and slower after a 3rd section, but suppose I'm a bit older now too. God knows how Victoria Beckham has done it 4 times!

• Advertisement
Advertisement