Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear facing tractor lights

• 28-02-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

maybe this not the place - last night I was driving home and come behind a tractor going at 50Kl . It had 4[what i would call head lights on, shining back at me I could see nothing , I would to know why do famers use these light on the ROAD . What is the law on this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

flossy1 wrote: »
    maybe this not the place - last night I was driving home and come behind a tractor going at 50Kl . It had 4[what i would call head lights on, shining back at me I could see nothing , I would to know why do famers use these light on the ROAD . What is the law on this

Don't know the legal side but I think using the work lights in such a manner is dangerous and inconsiderate to other road users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Moved to a thread of its own.
    [/MOD]

They'd be commonly known as ploughing lamps or work lights.

It is illegal to have a white light showing on the rear of a vehicle on the public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

illegal and inconsiderate.

They are 'work' lights and so serve no purpose on the public road only to infuriate and inconvenience other road users. They can be turned off separately.

I'm a farmer and it drives me nuts when I see that kind of s**t hawkin' !!

p.s. tractors have reg numbers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

but it can be hard to see the number plate when it's flanked by a couple of halogens either side :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

flossy1 wrote: »

put on your full beams until the lights go off, same thing to people who dont dim their lights while driving towards you or leave their fog lighs on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Drawinhard!!

Hate that i always make sure to turn off my work lights when on d road. Its pure ignorance on the drivers behalf. As a matter of interest was der any implement on the back to maby justify his stupidity??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Downright bad manners,some clowns insist on having all white worklights front and rear switched on while on public roads at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Skittles_

Downright bad manners,some clowns insist on having all white worklights front and rear switched on while on public roads at night.

Ye realy gnorant when i leave back lights on because i want you to hang back because when the presses are on the 2 ploughs you cant see my indicators and its about 12ft wth 1.5ft tail swing wth max speed of 30k

you should have tail lights on your plough.

I know it's impractical, but that's your problem, not other road users'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Shining white lights at traffic approaching from the rear is both illegal and inconsiderate.

If a rear mounted implement is obscuring the tractor's rear marker lights, something like this is easily mounted/removed to facilitate legal and safe use of the public road:
    194792.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Skittles_

JohnBoy wrote: »
    you should have tail lights on your plough.

I know it's impractical, but that's your problem, not other road users'

But the press is out about 1 ft or more beside the tractor more if it swings!, and the lights cant dazzel as they dont shine back further than the lenght of the plough when its raised. Have tried magnets but they are no good on curved surfaces Rovi and cant realy mount permanent lights either. Spoze ye wouldnt like the flashing Leds on the back of the trailer either :rolleyes:

not really mad on the flashing LEDs, no, but they can be done right, or they can be done wrong. white lights shinging backwards are always being done wrong.

As long as the back of a trailer isnt covered in LED strobes, and they're not at eye level pointing straight back then I'd view them as a nessecary evil.

The press arm sounds like an ideal candidate for some of them. And if you dont have flat surfaces for the magnetics, make some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

the main problem with rear facing light is that they confuse motorist approaching from behind, from a distance it is hard to make out if it is another car approaching,

leading to , am i on the wrong side of road, is the other car on wrong side of road, dose the road have a twist in it some where ahead that i cant see, should i dim my light and lead to more confusion, as to where i am on the road, how come there is now two sets of lights coming at me,
    ah bugger, BANG

Advertisement