Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Cabra & Marino/Fairview

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi All

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post in - I'm planning to look at some houses in Cabra (Annaly Road) and also in Marion (Croydon Park Avenue) to buy. I'm looking for some opinions on what these areas are like. I've heard Cabra is quite "up and coming" (or as up and coming as any place can be in Dublin right now !!) and is popular with young professionals.

Croydon Park looks to be quiet nice and neighbourly from looking at streetview, and of course has the proximity to eastpoint and the dart going for it.

My plan is also to rent out 2 rooms (hopefully) and live in the 3rd room myself - would both of these areas provide good opportunity for getting in sharers. Cabra doesn't appear to have much public transport other than Bus ??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Hey OP,

My grandparents were from the Marino/Fairview area and it's lovely and quiet. As for renting there, the pluses are that the transport system is great and that you can walk to town from there. There's a teaching college as well, so this might increase your chances of renting the rooms out during term time.

I don't know much about Cabra but am frequently up on the Cabra Road and it's a very nice spot (just south of Annaly Road.) It's also pretty close to Phibsborough which is pretty lively. I don't really know what the renting market is like, but I'm living in Stoneybatter at the moment and the renting market is lively. (I have to admit though "up-and-coming" may seem attractive when muttered by an estate agent, but in the economic recession you could be waiting an awfully long time for an area to "come-up".)

My advice OP is to buy where you want to live. Though it's important to research the renting potential and the amenities that would make it attractive to lodgers, you must also be happy there. What are your priorities? Do want a nightlife or a quiet neighbourhood? Is it close to work and where you like to spend your free time?

I find it's good to walk around an area before you buy and rent, both during the day and at night. Go for a pint somewhere and check our the atmosphere as the clientele of your local will most likely be your neighbours. Talk to people with experiences of living there. (A good excuse for a pub crawl :).)

Sorry that wasn't more help, good luck with the house hunt, it's an exciting time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I live near annaly . its a good spot. near shops. 20 minute walk to town .
    choice of lots of routes within a 5 minute walk .
    near the phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

sorry guys, only spotted these replies now :-( Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. House in Marino is out, there's already an offer on the table higher than I'd be willing to go

House in Cabra's not bad. Although I heard that there was 2 shootings in a pub near Annaly road (I don't want to name names but i'm sure you know what I'm referring to !!) - just wondering if that was just "bad luck" (sorry, probably not the best choice of words) or if that area is a bit dodgy ?

thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sorry guys, only spotted these replies now :-( Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. House in Marino is out, there's already an offer on the table higher than I'd be willing to go

House in Cabra's not bad. Although I heard that there was 2 shootings in a pub near Annaly road (I don't want to name names but i'm sure you know what I'm referring to !!) - just wondering if that was just "bad luck" (sorry, probably not the best choice of words) or if that area is a bit dodgy ?

thanks again !
    that happened the far end of cabra. I live around the corner for last 28 yrs with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

hmmm, we definitely talking about the same incident ? The one I'm referring to was on Fassaugh Avenue, that's just around the corner from Annaly road, no ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i live on the new cabra road near St Peter's Church for a year now and have had no trouble.

its handy for getting into town from with so many buses going by

38, 38b, 120, 122, and 46a if you walk to the cross roads at phibsborough.

like all parts of dublin there is good and bad stuff happening on occasions but in general its no worse off then rathmine or raneleagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

hmmm, we definitely talking about the same incident ? The one I'm referring to was on Fassaugh Avenue, that's just around the corner from Annaly road, no ??
    yes that pub is on Faussagh Avenue but annaly and the areas around it are very quiet and safe.

Advertisement