Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place...

So the story is... a guy I know was cold called about having an ad put in a small paper. At the time he never said yes or no to the ad.

They then sent him an email with a mock up ad. They used information from a database for tradespeople on the internet. He doesn't use this email address and never saw the email until after they came looking for money.

They claimed the ad had been published and sent a pdf file with the ad in it. This paper is hard to get hold of so he can't verify if it was actually published. The ad had his name spelt completely wrong as they only had his company name from the database, his name was taken over the phone.

Since all this they have sent lots of letters from their legal department looking for money. They have been reducing the amount they were looking for since the original invoice. It's now down to nearly a sixth of the original sum.

Sounds like a scam to me. Nothing ever given in writing or even verbally saying to go ahead with the ad. The company are registered though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sounds about as legit as a nine bob note. If it were me, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms that they weren't going to see a single cent, and possibly threaten some legal action of my own. It's borderline extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a well known scam, they typically get paid by a lot of companies simply by submitting an invoice though a lot of people have wised up and now just tell them to get stuffed or ignore them.

The fact that they are reducing the invoice amount suggests that they are hoping to eventually reach the threshold of nuisance where the putative customer just pays to get rid of them.

Ask them for a copy of the (non-existent) purchase order, that usually gives them the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Upthedubs32

send them a cheque for twice the amout and ask them to cash it and send you the other half back in sterling...tip for this is to use monoply money...Id only ever pay for a bill i actually owe money is hard enough to come by these days never mind giving it to some shister sitting by a pool in the caymans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

coylemj wrote: »
    Ask them for a copy of the (non-existent) purchase order, that usually gives them the message.
    More trouble than it is worth. Bin everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a very well-known scam. Ignore them, and bin everything. Even talking to them lets them know that you are engaging with them. So don't engage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Just as I suspected. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yep scam, I work in advertising and have gotten these 'invoices' before. I know when and where all my advertising is running so I don't fall for it nor do I entertain them.

Word of advice for your mate or anybody else. Any legitimate advertiser would get either (a) payment up front or (b) arrange credit terms which is usually only done with large companies or after several adverts have been placed. Also, all bookings are done by email to ensure that there is a paper trail in case any clients back out. If you have a relationship they will take phone bookings but that is something you have to build up to. Finally, you would also get a proof of the advert prior to running in the press to ensure it is what you are looking for.

As stated already, ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

If they didn't even get his contact details right in the advert their would be no need to pay anyway. As others suggest bin everything and if they call him again tell them he can't speak English.

Advertisement