Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing passport photos on a Photo machine

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

A good passport photo comes once in a blue moon, so i thought perhaps it would be quicker to just scan mine in and perfectly position a few on a 6 x 4 dimension and get it printed in one of those Kodak Machines.

Usually the machine prints a receipt that you just show at the counter but there was none and the only shop attendant insisted on seeing the print, which is ridiculous to start with but worse he said he needed to charge me for every instance of my photo on the 6 x 4 print, so thats whatever many cents by 6 .

I dont really care about the money, i just found it very rude and more so, ignorant. I should be able to print anything from that machine, without being monitored as well.

Anyway this is in the UK, i was just wondering if such acts are prohibited [i.e printing passport prints from a Kodak machine]

I understand the shop keeper would lose business but TOUGH ****, kodak the company themselves are closing shop, cant keep up with the technology ? get out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Placebo wrote: »
    A good passport photo comes once in a blue moon, so i thought perhaps it would be quicker to just scan mine in and perfectly position a few on a 6 x 4 dimension and get it printed in one of those Kodak Machines.

Usually the machine prints a receipt that you just show at the counter but there was none and the only shop attendant insisted on seeing the print, which is ridiculous to start with but worse he said he needed to charge me for every instance of my photo on the 6 x 4 print, so thats whatever many cents by 6 .

I dont really care about the money, i just found it very rude and more so, ignorant. I should be able to print anything from that machine, without being monitored as well.

Anyway this is in the UK, i was just wondering if such acts are prohibited [i.e printing passport prints from a Kodak machine]

I understand the shop keeper would lose business but TOUGH ****, kodak the company themselves are closing shop, cant keep up with the technology ? get out.

Last few passports I got photos for, were done online and printed on my Epson printer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, I would argue that it's their machine, so they are entitled to monitor it to their hearts content.

The only concern I'd have is if your homemade passport photos would meet the standards required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

They were for a visa/license, so i guess i wasnt too worried about the quality, i just wanted them as a back up for some forms.

The shop is actually a chain/franchise, so i dont feel for the worker, as it wasnt an entrepreneur getting the rough end of the stick because of sharp edging technology :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its still their right to refuse(monitor) you(r) access to their machines. Don't think its a consumer issue at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

but worse he said he needed to charge me for every instance of my photo on the 6 x 4 print, so thats whatever many cents by 6 .

.....kodak the company themselves...... .

I've done this (mainly for keyrings and those small 2x2 frames on novelty clocks) and never been charged more than the 6x4 normal charge. Even in a Kodak shop.

A shop assistant in Boots once asked me if I had been given the files by a professional as she couldn't understand why they came out with a couple of images with big black borders on each sheet. But again no extra charge, I think that she may have been worried her machine wasn't printing what I expected.

I don't see how he could justify the charge, after all the prices are usually displayed for 'prints' at a given size. That's not to say a shop can't decide to charge more, but a 6x4 print uses the same amount of ink etc if it contains 6 passport sized photos as it would printing one photo that filled the print.

Would he charge double for a photo of twins? or even more for a group photo?

He does have a right to view the image though, how else can he avoid his business being used for breaching copyright or printing other illegal images?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Not prohibited as such, but as long as you don't have the consent of the photographer (if it was taken by a photographer) to copy the photo, you would be breaking copyright law.

Advertisement