Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland and the Direct Debit Scheme rules

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:51am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do you now consider yourselves about the basic rules of the direct debit scheme?

Today I received my bill (28th February) - date of issue 27th February telling me the amount due and that it was due for collection on 27th February!!!!

Under one of the most basic rules of the dd scheme I am due 14 days notice of a proposed debit. What exactly is going on?

From the IPSO website:

A Direct Debit Guarantee is provided by your bank in the following form:

If you authorise payment by direct debit, then Your direct debit originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account
    Originators must give advance notice of the date and the amount of each direct debit. The advance notice period is generally fourteen days, or in some cases seven days or less if agreed by all parties, before the direct debit is applied

I should also point out that my Deceber bill dated 29th December 2011 told me that my dd was due that very same day!!!!! Wonderful stuff.

As far as I am concerned I have authorised dd's only that comply with the terms of the dd scheme. Any other access to my bank account is theft!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi dub45,

For Electric Ireland, there is always a period of 14 days between bill notification and payment deadline. Do you receive your bills by post or email? And what are the dates on the bills in question?

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement