Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Human safaris

• 29-02-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/26/human-safari-threat-amazon-tribe

New concerns about "human safaris" are now being raised in Peru, where tour operators are profiting from the exploitation of indigenous tribes in the Amazon jungle.

An increase in economic activity and tourism in the Manú region has led to a dramatic rise in the number of reported sightings of the Mashco-Piro – one of around 15 indigenous groups in Peru who have no regular contact with outsiders, and one of only 100 or so such tribes left in the world.

Fenamad, the local indigenous rights organisation, has criticised tour operators who have taken advantage of the sightings to take tourists "close to where" the tribespeople were seen. There is growing evidence that travellers and tourists are attempting to make contact. "Uncontacted Indians are not a tourist attraction," said Rebecca Spooner of Survival International, which aims to protect tribal peoples. "So-called tour guides should already know better."
    As far as I'm concerned, this is just another example of the West's selfish, capitalist agenda; an absolute disregard for another culture, just to make a few quid.

Would any AHers go on these tours? Moreover, should tribes like these be left alone or introduced to our customs and traditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, this is just another example of the West's selfish, capitalist agenda; an absolute disregard for another culture, just to make a few quid.

Would any AHers go on these tours? Moreover, should tribes like these be left alone or introduced to our customs and traditions?

History tends to repeat itself.

(With reference to people being exploited......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No different to us being obsessed on the news with showing the dole queues?

Respect?

Dignity?

You're having a giraffe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Ohhhh. I thought they killed em too.

So in answer to your question OP, I won't be booking this trip :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Leave 'em in peace I say.

Though surely they must all be suffering from interbreeding and stuff at this stage?

Anyway, sounds like a pretty crass thing to come back from your holidays boasting about IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its just like the tours in Longford to see the travelling community in their native caravan habitat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Pew pew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We could have a human safari in Dublin and Limerick the difference being the game on offer is Scangerus-Horriblus and its cousin Scumbagus-Heroinadikt. Replace cameras with rifles and AK-47's and everyones a winner. Double points for bagging a specimen not wearing a tracksuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You never know - that tribe could get sponsored by Coca Cola or Adidas. Imagine all the free stuff the tribe could get and the advertising exposure the big brands would receive from all the tourists.

Sounds like a win win to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

You never know - that tribe could get sponsored by Coca Cola or Adidas. Imagine all the free stuff the tribe could get and the advertising exposure the big brands would receive from all the tourists.

Sounds like a win win to me.

Some guy running from a puma in a pair of the latest pumas, that's advertising gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mackg wrote: »
    Some guy running from a puma in a pair of the latest pumas, that's advertising gold!

Or eating a Lion bar while being mauled by a lion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

To slightly alter the Beatles song:

Let them be, let them be, let them be, let them be
    Whisper words of wisdom let them be

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ohhhh. I thought they killed em too.

I had this image of people shooting at people from an open jeep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Advertisement