Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost the will to game?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Every so often I read a thread on here and really get in the mood for gaming. Happened again today and straight away I switched on my 360 and started playing bioshock. 5 minutes later, I turn it off.

I'm 24 and used to be I'd say addicted to gaming from the age of 13 - 20. All day every day. Now the less I play the crapper I am meaning I don't enjoy it as much.

Anyone else hit a time in their life where gaming lost the magic?

For me, I seem to romanticise the idea of gaming (weird romance!) but then when it comes down to it, I never get immersed.

And it's not even as if I'm rose tinting retro gaming, because I've tried to play old games as well (that I used to love) and same thing.

Have you gone through 'dry spells' for a significant period of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

there has been times i wanted to give up , still unsure on buying the new systems coming out cause it seems theres hardly to little no spark with all games been down to the bone shoot shoot shoot , i dont think they can put in the same about of time on games when they were kids and carry that on for the rest of their lives , you tend to get burned out , lose interest abit. but just cause we dont put in a 2 hours gaming session doesnt mean we ever stop. just need to take a break ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm currently going through a "I'll never be good at this" phase. In regards to BF3 online. I suck. Terribly. I watch my 16 year old brother pick up a pad and in ten minutes do what I couldn't in six hours. It's very depressing.

I guess you just need to find the right game to get your head in to. What I used to (who am I kidding, I still do!) do is start up a load of games and get x percent through and then just give them up for ages, forgetting storylines and control schemes. It's not really good game-etiquette. (Have the following on the go: Zelda Phantom Hourglass [ds], Silent Hill [psx-psp version], Snatcher [psp], Policenauts [psp] and about ten more games on the xbox! It's exhausting......)

So at the mo I'm getting my head in to MGS Peace Walker HD (had it for the psp but never finished it...surprise surprise) and have to say it's brilliant. Held my attention for at least three hours this evening.

But then you have the type of game and what you want to put in and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Everybody gets burned out eventually, sometimes I might be in a gaming mood that lasts a few weeks if I am playing a game like Skyrim and then one day I say I have enough and then I go into a TV or book reading mood and by the time that is over something like Mass Effect 3 comes out and I am in the mood for gaming again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iBeast

You all need to play nintendo consoles. Its easy to lose the will to game if you are using some thrash box that microsoft or sony produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

iBeast wrote: »
    You all need to play nintendo consoles. Its easy to lose the will to game if you are using some thrash box that microsoft or sony produced.

How very closed minded of you.

• Advertisement

sorry dude but theres no acceptance for fanboyish comment on this site.. please use the exit door

have a nice day

EXIT-DOOR-PIC.jpg

chin_grin wrote: »

How very closed minded of you.
    I have played all three and can safely say that Nintendo consoles whether its the Gamecube, Wii or any other ones, have the games with the most character and substance. eg Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, Legend of Zelda. Compare that with the FPS thrash and "mature games" on the other formats and Nintendo are clear winners

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I have played all three and can safely say that Nintendo consoles whether its the Gamecube, Wii or any other ones, have the games with the most character and substance. eg Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, Legend of Zelda. Compare that with the FPS thrash and "mature games" on the other formats and Nintendo are clear winners

PC Gaming beats every console easily... but I <3 my xbox 360 all the same :p

My Wii is collecting dust, it's crap. The games are terrible on it (except Wii Sports)

I buy COD and Fifa on my xbox, and I get the full use out of them until the next one comes out (only IW stuff for MW) and anything else I use my PC for... the Wii on the other hand? I have it modded for the backup games, so I have around 100 on a hdd... and it still sits in a cupboard, gets plugged in at xmas for a game of bowling, and that's pretty much it...

Also, the 3DS sucks... lol :)

Sync wrote: »

PC Gaming beats every console easily... but I <3 my xbox 360 all the same :p

My Wii is collecting dust, it's crap. The games are terrible on it (except Wii Sports)

I buy COD and Fifa on my xbox, and I get the full use out of them until the next one comes out (only IW stuff for MW) and anything else I use my PC for... the Wii on the other hand? I have it modded for the backup games, so I have around 100 on a hdd... and it still sits in a cupboard, gets plugged in at xmas for a game of bowling, and that's pretty much it...

Also, the 3DS sucks... lol :)
    You my friend are what real gamers call a self proclaimed "hardcore" gamer. You play ultraviolent games on xbox and pc. You dismiss anything that you see as childish as a crap game. Typical phrases include"BLAAACK OPSS!!!" and "BETTER ON PEEECEEE!!" Tends to snort while breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Would be nice to have a gaming discussion without someone resorting it to "This and that consoles are shìt!" on the web.

I do get burned out every now and again. I'd play some games for an hour or less before my interest drains and I quit out of them, unless it's a brand new game I'm playing for the 1st time.

Only games that still get the most play out of me are the old consoles like SNES, arcade games, and old PC games (Skyrim and Left 4 Dead keep me ticking over at the moment, though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Haven't seen this level of banality since the 'dreampants' and 'crapstation.'

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I'm glad I'm not alone with this problem. I used to game a lot more when I was younger. It has to be epic to get my attention. When I was younger everything was epic. These days epic would be Half Life 3.

I am about 20% through MW3 campaign since Xmas. I really like the COD series, but it takes me weeks to devote the time to play a game & then I'll put it down again after about an hour. As regards the storyline, Jesus I couldn't tell you name of the main character, nevermind the plot, because I really couldn't care less. The interest is simply no longer there.

As for online gaming, I would like to play, but it would result in a massive investment on my behalf & die a death long before I could justify the effort.

It was much simpler when the only game we'd play was Quakeworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You grew up, try playing some more adult games. Try on PC.

I'm glad I'm not alone with this problem. I used to game a lot more when I was younger. It has to be epic to get my attention. When I was younger everything was epic. These days epic would be Half Life 3.

I am about 20% through MW3 campaign since Xmas. I really like the COD series, but it takes me weeks to devote the time to play a game & then I'll put it down again after about an hour. As regards the storyline, Jesus I couldn't tell you name of the main character, nevermind the plot, because I really couldn't care less. The interest is simply no longer there.

As for online gaming, I would like to play, but it would result in a massive investment on my behalf & die a death long before I could justify the effort.

It was much simpler when the only game we'd play was Quakeworld.
    Try playing Animal Crossin City Folk or Wild World. They will immerse you for weeks if not months.
    Or buy Pokemon Black or White. Deeply tactical online play and millions of ways to train and battle Pokemon

pokemon hardly tactial , ya just need one pokemmon on at least level 25 and ya can destroy all them with one hit:pac:

pokemon hardly tactial , ya just need one pokemmon on at least level 25 and ya can destroy all them with one hit:pac:
    You dont know the advanced mechanics. Its a different ball game online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I am kinda like that with my xbox, but I end up on Netflix for awhile. Then I go back to gaming.

If I watch all I want to watch on Netflix and complete any game I want to I read.

2 years ago I went through a spell of reading 1 book after the other for the whole year but this year I only tend to go for the most interesting ones, or some area I have an interest in.

I feel I will be the same with gaming, at some stage I will be mad into it and another stage I will game maybe a handful of times in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm the opposite. I'm annoyed i've less time to play than what i currently have. The good games are coming out quicker and more at the same time. I love gaming, it's all i want to do (aside from the odd social event! :D). I'm 29 in May, and maybe i'll "grow out of it" at some stage, but at this rate i don't think i'll ever grow out of gaming.

I just want to be alive for when gaming gets to what it is like in the film Gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What a great thread and topic. After I read the age thread amd sow the poll I was happy to see our community to be very mature, unfortunately we will always have someone special who will walk in, spit on the floor, piss on the walls amd then use pallet knife to spread **** on the sealing... I don't know what will mods actions about this, but I know my ignore list just got a new friend to play with.

Amyway, on topic. I hit that wall now and then mysef. Sometimes I will sit in front of pc screen and just look at blank desktop... Go boards or YouTube... No gaming. It's a sign I am very very tired and can't concentrate enough to play something.
    I am petrolhead and I love driving games, there are plenty of them with very high quality! I jump in with enthusiasm and after few races I quit playing...

Good point about "being shot at game" sindrome. I am currently having it with bf3 and with mw3. I swear to god I feel very old as those kids just ass rape me every single game!! :( I don't even play it much anyway, but it is really annoying and off putting. I really not bad at bf3, but that mw3 is just surprising for me. Always try to blame op weapons or connection issues, but maybe I am just really **** at mw3 amd that just makes me not want to play and go watch Netflix...

Good thing is those come and go. So I newer off gaming for long time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I haven't played any games since before xmas. Just can't get into the mood for it these days. I was in the middle of dark souls and haven't got back to it. And I still have skyrim to start as well as countless others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

OP has hit the nail on the head here, and I'm sure many will agree that it is far too easy to "burn out" these days.

On a personal level, I just love a good storyline. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally bashing online gaming (I was a huge fan of BF2 and Fifa before I dumped Xbox Live) but it tends to be the same ol malark every game...same sniping positions, same maps, same tactics, same jumping about and the same idiots talking.

Thats why I always like the Metal Gear Solid series (though I haven't played no.4, much to my displeasure - no PS3! :(), Knights of the Old Republic, Elder Scrolls etc. because at least if the gaming isnt quite as good as you thought it would be, the storyline can be enough to immerse you for a few hours.

I loved the COD series too. Which means I'm not a total story lover, but I enjoyed the shiny, smooth presentation and excellent control system.

I think a lot of developers have forgotten the gamer who does not want to be online and instead throw in a half-assed attempt of single player game/campaign along with a behemoth of an online aspect.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I call it gamer's block!

I get it all the time with world of warcraft lol, then irl boredom sets in and off i trot looking for something decent to play regardless of format, genre or machine.
    Lately, the new releases have been fairly crap, for me at least and i've ended up doing exactly what ShadowHearth did/does.. Netflix. Even if the selection here is incredibly crap compared to the states it beats spending a fortune down the pub.
    I tend to get bored when there is a big release due out soon too, ME3 next friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Whilst playing BF:BC2, I got like that, and switched from FPS to RTS and played Starcraft 2 for a while.

As said; it's "gamers block", but I find the best way to overcome it is to play different sorts of games until you find one which you enjoy, and play it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

All I can say is I love gaming, will be 30 this year and still cant see my self giving it up anytime soon.:D . I prefer my Pc for fps and my consoles for platform etc. I wont go all fanboy here, but I own all 3 current consoles and yes there is one console i prefer to the others. But when you get down to it all of them have thier pros and cons. for me gaming allows me to forget about all the things that suck about being an adult (paying bill etc) and go back to being a care-free-kid (before you had to pay bills etc) if not for a few hours during the week/ weekend. and remember:

"we dont stop gaming because we grow old, we grow old because we stop gaming:cool:"

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

vex wrote: »
    "we dont stop gaming because we grow old, we grow old because we stop gaming:cool:"

I hear that!

In my 40's now and found that I lost the will to game for a year. I am happy to say that I am a big Final Fantasy fan and recently sat down to replay 13 and it has re lit my fire for gaming!!!

And before anyone starts...I know it's not the best in the series but, god damn it, it's one hell of a beautiful lookin game!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

bj6f7t.jpg

Thank you, i havent laughed like that in a long time.

Anyway, in regards to the OP, lately, ive felt like that with my consoles. Everything is a remake or a sequel or a threequel, i loved Gears of War 1 & 2, finished them multiple times, was excited for Gears 3, played it once, traded it, never thought about it since. It just gets a bit dull playing space marine **** all the time.
    So thankfully ive got a PC to game on. So much new and interesting stuff like Dear Esther, and other assorted indie games, combined with the best versions of multiplatform games, and all the modding and whatnot makes it just endlessly fun. With Steam being the best digital distribution platform in the wrld atm, being a PC gamer has never been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Have been pretty burned out from gaming for quite a while now - I replaced actual computer/console gaming with various webgames but even those are wearing thin. I tend to go through phases like this though with regards to reading and watching TV too. Just take an extended break and you will get your mojo back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

CiaranC wrote: »
    You grew up, try playing some more adult games. Try on PC.
    Yeah, like Minecraft :D

Deffo though, mix it up with different games, consoles and genre's.. Amazing how you say you don't like racing games or whatever, yet, you never played any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

You should start digging around the PC indie game scene. there is so much variety and awesomeness that can be found if you can find it. Recent favourites were VVVVVVV, cave story and bit trip runner. That said, i've been forced to play low spec games for a while since my computer is a piece of crap^^ New computer arriving in the next few day and i'm wetting myself to play Skyrim, and i've been booked to play magicka and portal 2 multiplayer with some peeps:D

Advertisement