Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost the will to game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Its a feature more and more appearing for life long gamers. most of us would have been gaming for years, since we were kids and back when we were kids the options you had were severely limited in what you could spend your time doing.

You've grown and matured now and in my own experience, I had two kids in as many years and can say that I went through a phase of about 6 months where the thought of the effort involved in playing games put me off. If I'm playing a game, I need at least an hour with it, otherwise I don't see the point. And I'm at a stage in my life where I rarely get that kind of free time. Now it has picked up recently but there was definitely a phase of "I just want to do as little as possible" and flaked out in front of the tv.

It'll come back eventually, don't worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I lost interest last year but then november came and all the good games came out (not modern warfare or any fps) and i am on the pigs back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im 25 and I just find it hard to even get into a game these days

Man I was a huge huge gamer but maybe its to do with the gaming scene these days that iv lost interest

The last game that had me glued to the ps3 was Alice madness returns, ya dont see games like that these days

Instead we get the same old FPS, soccer games etc

I ****ing fed up sequel after sequel after sequel, perfect sample of this is cod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

As mentioned by someone else, what tends to happen me is I play about 25% of a game, get sick of it, then a new game I want comes out, I go back to the other game to try finish it first. Then I realize i'm totally lost and can't remember the story line and pack it in.

The last game I got really into was Alan Wake. It kept me interested from start to finish and I was gutted when I finished it. Haven't played another game like it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just need to find the right game.

I've been terribly bored with some recent games. I just can't get excited about Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3 any more. Skyrim was pretty good until the Bethesda trademark repetitive dialogue and horribly wooden characters drove me insane. I think that's the main reason I stopped playing Deus Ex 3 for a month or two. Sapped the energy out of me. But once I kicked Skyrim to the kerb and gave Deus Ex another turn, I was sucked in for hours and finished the last half of the game in one sitting. Its story was deep and involving in a way no other game has managed for me in a long time. Skyrim is just "ZOMG DARGONS" after a while.

Tonight I decided to play a quick session of Serious Sam 3. That was about 5 hours ago. It's a good thing I don't have to be at work early tomorrow. There's just something incredibly right about fragging your way through impossible hordes of very strange enemies with a truckload of guns.

Indie games have been getting more and more of my attention, too. They just do more new and interesting things, whereas the big names are mostly doing the same old thing again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

you could be speaking about me OP, ive lost a lot of my gaming will, at the moment, im playing any old crap except batman arkham city simply because i cant face playing it and you know what it is, its too many sequels, im currently playing worms 2 online and an indie xbox game, osr unhinged and have another indie game lined up in bloodycheckers.

That said, the only game im looking forward this year is a sequel, trials evolution, go figure. Maybe ill get tired of that one too for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

oh and im 26, ive been playing since getting stuck on Dizzy on the commodore 64

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd go along with much that is mentioned here. I'm 29 now and find my time incredibly limited in terms of what I can put into games. Between work, gf, soccer, gym and general social life, there is little or no time for me, except maybe the odd hour or two at the wknds. Even still, I'd rather watch an episode of something or find myself browsing boards instead. I went to Cuba in May of last year. Since then, I think I've played about 4 hours on the PS3.

The thing is, if I was 14/15/16 and just had school etc, I'd probably be immersed in games like Skyrim etc right now.......but to me, gone are the days of games like The Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Zelda:ALTTP. Oh and like the previous poster, I remember playing the likes of Flimbos Quest on the C64. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I got burned out, built a PC and back in love.

I got sick of all the same games being rehashed and games with no real single player. PC has such a wider spectrum of games

Now if there were online drive for Co-operative play, I would love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wouldn't say I'm bored of gaming at all but I do find it hard to care about most recent games. The only new games I've bought in the past 2 years were Red Dead, Skyrim and Deus Ex HR.

Loved Red Dead and loving Deus Ex so far but I found Skyrim to be a complete borefest, was playing Zelda A Link to the Past on my phone at the same time and found myself wanting to play that more than Skyrim!

But yeah, I'm finding less and less new games I could give a sh!t about, Bioshock looks interesting this year and maybe Mass Effect although haven't liked anything I've read about it so far. I've got no interest whatsoever in most new games, the last fps I bought was Modern Warfare 2 which I sold within 2 weeks for a €20 profit!

Plenty of great old games out there that still hold up though, just finished the original Deus Ex last week which held my full attention for nearly a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've played more than 200 hours of BF3 since its release in October, and am starting to feel burnout now. It just gets to a point where I've done nearly everything possible in the game multiplayer wise and now I'm stuck trying to think of new ways to enjoy it. Granted I was getting frustrated playing with numpties that couldn't tell their arse from their face and couldn't be bothered playing the objectives and actually trying to win. Frustration took over and I've not logged onto my PS3 in a few days now... even through this break I've not had the urge to even play anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I very often burn out, there has been many a night with the house to myself and a shelf full of unfinished games sitting there that i will sit down turn on the console and after 10 mins of unsuccessfully finding something im in the mood for ill give up.

But the next day i could put down 8 hours gaming and love it. The Darkness 2 was the first game in a long time ive just really enjoyed it as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I did forgot to mention Skyrim kept me going for awhile but the Badly need an expansion pack

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Haven't been able to play a single player game since I got tired of Skyrim around the new year (2 months already :O). Just been playing BF3 for an hour or 2 every few nights, which is great, but hopefully ME3 will rejuvenate the love for the SP games.

I think this drought of interest (for me at least) is because last year I probably got through more games than I did in the 5 before that. Not too fussed about the new releases this year either. ME3, Bioshock Infinite, and I might still get the MGSHD collection... but thats all I can think of. Ah well. More time for other pursuits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

know what you mean, i have a load of games i have not even installed from the steam sale, and also won over the same period, keep looking at them and thinking, maybe tomorrow, but then i dive right into TF2, just dont seem to bet bored with that one, dont know why. was the same with L4D2 for quite a while, just dont think i want to invest the time in starting a new title.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

Headshot wrote: »
    Im 25 and I just find it hard to even get into a game these days

Man I was a huge huge gamer but maybe its to do with the gaming scene these days that iv lost interest

The last game that had me glued to the ps3 was Alice madness returns, ya dont see games like that these days

Instead we get the same old FPS, soccer games etc

I ****ing fed up sequel after sequel after sequel, perfect sample of this is cod

Wow I like Alice madness returns and I agree with too many Sequels, All Sequels are split up for all different game consoles , I'm Started getting sick of the Final fantasies and also this Download codes crap for eg extra levels on the new games, it sucks ass!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I have this problem at the moment, it's called new apartment syndrome. I just don't have the time to play. My Steam rating is now at zero for the first time since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I get this quite a lot these days, at least when im at college and only have my playstation with me. Just have no desire to turn on the PS3 and play anything (I still have bioshocks/skyrim/MW3/BF3/UC3 + some more that i haven't finished, sitting there).

Im not gonna say its because you've/I've "Grown up".. to me thats harsh on everyone that still loves to game. Burnt out is probably a better way to describe it. Just take a big break and when you get a few days off or something, sit down and play something that you know'll be good and you'll probably end up finishing it in a few days.

Also.. anyone that complains about the "Gaming scene" these days needs a good hard slap, besides online based console shooters.. its never been better in terms of quality/quantity and range. Last year was one of the best years that i can remember for gamers, at least since 1998, 2007 was also an insane year for gamers (Mario galaxy, Mass effect, Bioshock, Orangebox, Halo 3, CoD4, God of War 2 etc ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I get where you're coming from OP. I was like you, absoluetely avid gamer from the time of my Sega Megadrive up to about 2ish years ago. I sometimes start a game, play for 10 minutes then just turn it off.

In my case I think that it's just lack of time. I'm 22, final year of college and I just feel like I've no time for gaming. I love to have a good session where I can get immersed in the game and not have to worry about doing other things. And lately I to busy to game, even if I have and hour or two free to do it. I still feel kinda rushed.

Another thing I think did (all though the above point is my main reason) it with this gen of consoles is the choice. There are so many games constantly coming out, and all so accessible via psn etc, that it's almost like I can't focus on one game at a time when I know there's so many others I want to play. Of course that's not always the case, but I just feel blinded by choice with so many games.

Can't wait to finish college just so I can game! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

iBeast wrote: »
    You my friend are what real gamers call a self proclaimed "hardcore" gamer. You play ultraviolent games on xbox and pc. You dismiss anything that you see as childish as a crap game. Typical phrases include"BLAAACK OPSS!!!" and "BETTER ON PEEECEEE!!" Tends to snort while breathing.

Wow, they're probably the most arrogant statements I've ever heard from a gamer. Self-proclaimed 'real-gamer' your games you listed are a specific taste. You obviously feel your above other gamers almost to the point it hurts you and you take offence to other gamers and consoles. Wow you wont garner any respect from any gamers around here with that narrow-minded and elitest attitude. Please go back to your self-indulgent narrow-minded bubble in your parents bassment and don't bother us low-life fake gamers. Besides, we're not good enough for you, lol.

Personally, I don't have that must interest in the games you listed. So does that me less of a gamer? I've got a lot of games. I'm actually broad-minded (I think) when it comes to gaming. I play FIFA, Fallout, Skyrim, all GTA's including 100% in San Andreas, Mass Effect, Stranglehold, NFS: HP, Just Cause 2, Mario, Sonic, the Warriors, Red Dead, Max Payne but no.. Those games are probably too popular. And I play them on a thrash-box...Lord. I actually have fun on a console that this guy doesn't like God Forbid. Think i may throw out all my games and Xbox and PS2 just to pick up an Nintendo. Not any particualy Nintendo, cause they'll all great including WII. Wii technology is being used in science and medicine because it's...oh no..wait that's Kinect. Sorry. I don't know, I'm a not a real gamer.

Sorry for going off-topic but when I lose interest in gaming I give it a break for a good while then try a game I wouldn't have thought I may like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

For me it could be to do with that I've started thinking bigger in terms of life and not to knock games but I sometimes feel they are not as enriching for the mind, I'm finding it harder and harder to connect with games.

As a kid I would be fully immersed. I remember final fantasy 7 when I was 13... I was IN that world when I played it but now all I see is the rectangle of the tv screen around the game and the real world in my peripheral vision and I can't keep my eyes or my mind on what's going on in this screen. Well that's mainly for single player or immersive experiences, but if it's something like Pro Ev or a racing game with a friend I have no problem playing it...

Maybe some things ye just grow out of (I don't mean that in a 'games are for children' sense at all), just the same way anyone can grow out of certain interests.

But then again maybe it is just a blip, hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

If somebody 'grows out' of something it was likely just a young fad and they were never really a fan. Most games I play carry an 18 cert now anyhow so I grew into em! the only will I am losing in relation to gaming is in finding someone who stocks the damn things.

Neverdead and/or Binary Domain, pls. D12 or within 3 mile radius :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Harps wrote: »

Plenty of great old games out there that still hold up though, just finished the original Deus Ex last week which held my full attention for nearly a month

If you haven't already, download The Nameless Mod. It isn't just any old mod, it's the length of a full game with complete voice acting. It's fantastic, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Just don't overwrite save game files. It's also very important you patch it to the latest version, 1.0.4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Going through abit of a lull myself now. Have played wall to wall Skyrim from late November up to around 2 weeks ago. Couldnt get enough of it. Played it nearly every evening, clocked 200 hours. When I wasnt playing it, I was reading about it or listening to podcasts. Then I started a new character with the best of intentions of trying out a new playstyle but the old burn out has set in and I can no longer muster the level of interest needed to start it up.

Its all peaks and troughs though. After afew weeks of lighter gaming, (online MP and racing) Ill come back to Skyrim again ...... I hope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The only games that really hold my attention are mmo's these days, but even on them I burn out cyclically. Get bored of wow, move onto eve, bored of that now and am playing a mud for the first time in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Once lads make the Transition from playing Video games to Chasing Women, playing games is never quite the same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Not even so much chasing them but living with one. Time to game starts vanishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Not even so much chasing them but living with one. Time to game starts vanishing

thats when they start to realise it was the wrong decsion

Advertisement