Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel p660-HN wireless router/modem

• 29-02-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Can someone please help me with this problem?

Is there a way to log into my Zyxel modem/router provided by MAGNET?

Everyone seems to say all you have to do is type your default gateway into a browser address bar and voila... but this simply doesn't work for me.

I phoned magnet tech-support and he read out a long ip address and once typed in gave me the home screen for the Zyxel router.(However once I was off the phone it refreshed and failed again.)

However, when I quizzed him on where to find this ip address he informed me the device uses a 'dynamic ip address', so it changes all the time (apparrently every hour) as my iphone and ps3 are constantly being disconnected.
    So he said it should be right in front of me when i type ipconfig into command prompt... however it simply doesn't say it anywhere... when I pushed him more he seemed very put out by my questions and said if it's not there then it's a problem with my computer.

The only thing I noticed was 'DEFAULT GATEWAY' and 'DHCP SERVER' have the exact same address. I tried playing around with these with no results.

I also heard whispers that magnet are able to remotely control the routers however I haven't confirmed this.

All I want to do is log in ... change the channel... perhaps this will stop the connection drops... or else change it to static ip...

I just need a straight answer is there a way to do this.. or do I jus pay out more cash for another ADSL router??

My reasoning tells me that there has to be a way to use my computer to view a dynamic ip the system is using??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭swampgas

jay_k wrote: »

Everyone seems to say all you have to do is type your default gateway into a browser address bar and voila... but this simply doesn't work for me.

I phoned magnet tech-support and he read out a long ip address and once typed in gave me the home screen for the Zyxel router.(However once I was off the phone it refreshed and failed again.)

However, when I quizzed him on where to find this ip address he informed me the device uses a 'dynamic ip address', so it changes all the time (apparrently every hour) as my iphone and ps3 are constantly being disconnected.
    So he said it should be right in front of me when i type ipconfig into command prompt... however it simply doesn't say it anywhere... when I pushed him more he seemed very put out by my questions and said if it's not there then it's a problem with my computer.

The only thing I noticed was 'DEFAULT GATEWAY' and 'DHCP SERVER' have the exact same address. I tried playing around with these with no results.

I also heard whispers that magnet are able to remotely control the routers however I haven't confirmed this.

All I want to do is log in ... change the channel... perhaps this will stop the connection drops... or else change it to static ip...

I just need a straight answer is there a way to do this.. or do I jus pay out more cash for another ADSL router??

My reasoning tells me that there has to be a way to use my computer to view a dynamic ip the system is using??

From inside the network (at home) you should be able to access the router using its internal IP address. This should be the same as the DHCP server and default gateway, as your router should be providing these two services.

The internal IP address of the router should not change - it is usually something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, etc.
    According to this the default IP is 192.168.1.1, username admin, password 1234.

Are you sure that there are no other routers in your network? No old router that might have DHCP still running?

(It sounds like your router's external IP is DHCP, and might change, but that should have no effect on accessing it internally.)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

swampgas wrote: »

From inside the network (at home) you should be able to access the router using its internal IP address. This should be the same as the DHCP server and default gateway, as your router should be providing these two services.

The internal IP address of the router should not change - it is usually something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, etc.
    According to this the default IP is 192.168.1.1, username admin, password 1234.

Are you sure that there are no other routers in your network? No old router that might have DHCP still running?

(It sounds like your router's external IP is DHCP, and might change, but that should have no effect on accessing it internally.)

Ya I tried that but just times out. And no there's nothing else had a Belkin router hosting my nas drive before the zyxel arrived but that's disconnected now.

It's very strange. The user manual says that it should be 192.168.1.1

However magnet tech support gave me one which worked(momentarily), and it was definitely not that standard address.
    It was a sequence of 4 3-digit numbers, and told me that would only work for the next few minutes and that unless my computer shows me the dynamic or "active" address, I wouldn't be able to view the admin page???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭swampgas

Ya I tried that but just times out. And no there's nothing else had a Belkin router hosting my nas drive before the zyxel arrived but that's disconnected now.

However magnet tech support gave me one which worked(momentarily), and it was definitely not that standard address.
    It was a sequence of 4 3-digit numbers, and told me that would only work for the next few minutes and that unless my computer shows me the dynamic or "active" address, I wouldn't be able to view the admin page???

Sounds like they gave you an external IP address to use. As Magnet have provided the router, is it possible they have disabled the admin interface on the internal side? Might be worth asking them why 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, and if it should work. (I'm assuming your default gateway shows up as 192.168.1.1 as well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

swampgas wrote: »

Sounds like they gave you an external IP address to use. As Magnet have provided the router, is it possible they have disabled the admin interface on the internal side? Might be worth asking them why 192.168.1.1 doesn't work, and if it should work. (I'm assuming your default gateway shows up as 192.168.1.1 as well.)

Ya they must have disabled something. They're charging 5.50 a month for the piece of junk.

Regardless, in town now looking for replacement.

Thanks for the replies nonetheless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Old thread I know but this is what I found 192.168.1.1:7080
    It asks for a password, usually the one provided by your ISP to connect to the internet.

Not sure if the link is working properly but type those into the address bar and it should work. Does on my ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A anyway

Advertisement