Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car wash damaged car - they won't pay for repairs

Options
  • 29-02-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in a car wash in Grange Castle a few months ago. The carwash dryer dragged along my roof scraping the paint and took lumps out of my fin.

They accepted responsibility, apologised and told me to go and get a quote from Volvo that they would pay for the repairs.

Volvo gave me a quote of over €2000 and I brought it back to the garage, they refused to pay, they said that it was way to expensive, they were expecting about €200 max. That is all they are saying they are willing to pay. They said a new fin costs €28 plus the cost of a but of paint. They want me to go somewhere else for the work or just get someone I know to do it.

I refused. I go to Volvo for everything that needs to be done and I'm not going to let some half ased mechanic do the work, Volvo are also refusing to drop the price.

What are my options? Do I have to accept the work from someone other than Volvo?

I can't really afford to just pay for the repairs and then go after them for the money.

Thanks,

Its a 2005 Volvo S40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Since they have already admitted liability their going to pay for the damage, the problem is they are entitled to argue the price within reason. afaik it's your right to get it fixed where ever you like, it's then up to the person who damages the car to negotiate the price with the people caring out the repair.

I would suggest that you get a detailed quote from volvo and send it in to the garage. If they disagree to the price encourage them to hire an independent assessor to assess the damage.

If they continue to kick up contact your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would recommend you get 3 independent quotes. Hopefully your quotes will all be of a similar cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Do bear in mind that Volvo will most likely not actually do the work but rather send it to a body shop and they will do the work. It's not like when you leave you can in for a service where normally the garage themselves do the work.
    So it is fair and reasonable to go get a few quotes and see if there is anything in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was in a car wash in Grange Castle a few months ago. The carwash dryer dragged along my roof scraping the paint and took lumps out of my fin.

They accepted responsibility, apologised and told me to go and get a quote from Volvo that they would pay for the repairs.

Volvo gave me a quote of over €2000 and I brought it back to the garage, they refused to pay, they said that it was way to expensive, they were expecting about €200 max. That is all they are saying they are willing to pay. They said a new fin costs €28 plus the cost of a but of paint. They want me to go somewhere else for the work or just get someone I know to do it.

I refused. I go to Volvo for everything that needs to be done and I'm not going to let some half ased mechanic do the work, Volvo are also refusing to drop the price.

What are my options? Do I have to accept the work from someone other than Volvo?

I can't really afford to just pay for the repairs and then go after them for the money.

Thanks,

Its a 2005 Volvo S40
    I don't know of any Volvo garage that does their own body work. But thats not to say I'm right. Anyway, I'd expect a quote of 500-700 for that work, going on your description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I don't know of any Volvo garage that does their own body work. But thats not to say I'm right. Anyway, I'd expect a quote of 500-700 for that work, going on your description.

I thought it was a bit high too, but they broke it all down and it adds up.

They said that in order to do it properly that the front and rear windows must be removed and that is a large part of the cost. There were some little things added into the quote that I don't expect them to pay like car cleaning and a rental car while mine is being repaired, but they are less than 100 together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit high too, but they broke it all down and it adds up.

They said that in order to do it properly that the front and rear windows must be removed and that is a large part of the cost. There were some little things added into the quote that I don't expect them to pay like car cleaning and a rental car while mine is being repaired, but they are less than 100 together.
    I highly doubt that the front and windows will have to be removed, but like I said I haven't seen it. I think its only fair to get a couple of quotes from others. If you think that all mechanics that don't work in a dealership are "half-arsed" which is ridiculous, ask some friends and see who they recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

bring it to ace auto body on the south ramp at junction 10 of the M7 - they do a huge amount of car garage work.

there's also another place somewhere behind Topaz at Newlands cross who also do a lot of work for garages.

btw - garages usually add at least 50% to the quotes they get.

Advertisement