Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any difference between an asian and an irish iphone?

• 29-02-2012 1:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭

Im buying an iphone off a guy and its an asian one, is there any difference between this and the irish model?

Please answer quickly because im buying it tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Make sure its not an AirPhone. Trust me you do not want one of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Leave it where it is, if your going to buy one, buy a good one, preferably officially unlocked here or sim free. Watch out for, locked, blacklisted or jailbroken ones when buying second hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭innthe

Brian017 wrote: »
    Make sure its not an AirPhone. Trust me you do not want one of those

its definetly not an airphone

Leave it where it is, if your going to buy one, buy a good one, preferably officially unlocked here or sim free. Watch out for, locked, blacklisted or jailbroken ones when buying second hand.

Ill be trying it out first anyway, he seemed like a genuine guy tho

innthe wrote: »
    Ill be trying it out first anyway, he seemed like a genuine guy tho

The always do:)

Do you know your way around an iphone, software wise. Some of the aisian fakes are very good.
    Is there no Irish one with a good history out there for around the same price.

• Advertisement

thanks lads ill have another think about whether getting it or not now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If he's telling you it's an "Asian iPhone" that most likely means it's fake.

But if it is a genuine official iphone and its asian, will that have any effect on it, cuz ill be looking at it and trying it put before i buy it

But do you know exactly what your test driving?

You could buy an iphone tomorrow and it gets blacklisted in a week, if your buying an iphone second hand make sure you know exactly what your getting, preferably with a verifiable history and receipt.
    You could buy an iphone clone with android and not know the difference until you use someones real one.

Have you looked on adverts.ie are there any genuine ones there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much does he want for this "Asian iPhone" anyway?

• Advertisement

Well did you purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

One of the obvious signs was that the iPhone has Icon for "Messages" and the others called it SMS

But this was easily rectified and am sure its not obvious anymore

Like everyone here said....You must be able to get an Irish one with some history

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I didnt buy it yet, but he's looking for 370 for it, i rang him and he said some were made in japan, so thats the asian one, and some were made in california. If i do buy it ill tell ye whether its fake or not

Forgot to mention its unused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Technically if he had it first and it left apple then he is the first owner . Selling on to u still puts u as the purchaser as second hand .. Apple do not care if it was sitting in a box for a few months because the purchaser did not "use" it . If this guy is as honest as he says he is he should be able to provide u with the serial number and check here if it is a recognised apple product and u can see its warranty as well https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'd be fairly sure none were made in California. China is where they're all made other than some very recent production in Brazil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Sounds a bit suss to be honest, I'd leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Beware of the hiphone, the aisean iPhone

http://www.hiphone.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My current IPhone 4 was bought off an Asian last March and I don't have a problem with it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring a laptop and connect phone to itunes.
    If itunes recognises phone it's legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

innthe wrote: »
    I didnt buy it yet, but he's looking for 370 for it, i rang him and he said some were made in japan, so thats the asian one, and some were made in california. If i do buy it ill tell ye whether its fake or not

Forgot to mention its unused.

AFAIK, all iPhones are made/assembled in the Foxconn plant in China. There are no iPhone production facilities in either Japan or California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

it might be legit, but if I was selling an iphone I'd just say it was an iphone.

There's no difference between the version sold in shops in Tokyo or Dublin

if he's trying to suggest otherwise, its a fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Duck Soup wrote: »
    AFAIK, all iPhones are made/assembled in the Foxconn plant in China. There are no iPhone production facilities in either Japan or California.

with some made in brazil. if he's saying its made in japan or california, avoid.

Sorry I neant china

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are only two versions of the iPhone:

1) has a GSM/UMTS radio that supports standard European type signal protocols, that's the type sold in Ireland, all of Europe and most of the planet as well as to AT&T customers in the USA.

2) has a CDMA 2000 / CDMA One radio that supports Qualcomm CDMA signal protocols that are used by Verizon and some North and South American carriers. I think these may also be used in Korea and a few Asian markets. They are not used in Europe, as GSM is *THE* European standard.

Other than that, it's just a case of which language you select on the phone and the plug on the power adapter.

There's no single standard for Asia. So, I don't really know what the supplier's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Be careful,I got stung some years ago witha nokia from Hong kong.
    They can make unreal copies and it could be either legit,a copy or reconditioned.
    As Biko says sync it up to a laptop first if you have access to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If it sounds too good to be true, price-wise, it probably is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Just sent u a PM .

Turns out the phone was a dud, my cousin picked it up for me and he said it was genuine but when i got it off him it was actually a fake. I keep ringing him but he wont answer my calls but my cousin got a video of him selling it to him. Balla was where my cousin bought it from him so he lives somewhere in mayo, ill put the video up as soon as i get it. I should have listened to you guys hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Oh.dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ill put the video up as soon as i get it.
    Please don't.

Advertisement