Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford focus burning oil

• 29-02-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

For awhile now our 03 focus has been burning oil,its not leaking as we have checked but we are always needing to add oil every month as its not even showing up on the dipstick.I'm guessing the valve stem seals are damaged and a few mechanics have said it would be easier to replace the engine,is this the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

For awhile now our 03 focus has been burning oil,its not leaking as we have checked but we are always needing to add oil every month as its not even showing up on the dipstick.I'm guessing the valve stem seals are damaged and a few mechanics have said it would be easier to replace the engine,is this the case.

A few mechanics could make more money from a quick engine change then actually bothering to repair the problem more likely.:rolleyes:

Changing the stem seals is not a problem, its a medium..ish sized job but should still work out a lot cheaper then replacing a whole perfectly good engine.

If it is the stem seals that are gone then a couple of simple tests for a mechanic will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

If the valve stem seals are worn , when you start the engine a puff of smoke will appear from the exhaust pipe then it should clear when engine warms up, It could be piston rings at fault then it will be burning oil all the time the engine is running, either problem will cost a good few euro to do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

yeah thats what i'm thinking,will need to fix it as we can afford to upgrade,can mechanic diagnose it with compression test or how would they do it,just so i know i'm not being strung along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

yeah thats what i'm thinking,will need to fix it as we can afford to upgrade,can mechanic diagnose it with compression test or how would they do it,just so i know i'm not being strung along.

A leakdown test would be needed for more accurate testing. If the leakdown test is ok then the valve stem seals are more likely, assuming your absolutely sure there are no external leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Have the same problem with my car. If you calculate how many miles for every litre you put in it should give you an idea of how bad the problem is. Mine is about 1 l / 4000miles. It wouldn't bother me unless it effecting your NCT emissions.

• Advertisement

Have the same problem with my car. If you calculate how many miles for every litre you put in it should give you an idea of how bad the problem is. Mine is about 1 l / 4000miles. It wouldn't bother me unless it effecting your NCT emissions.

It doesn't bother me as its the wife's car just i drove it the other day and the oil light was faintly flicking on the verge of coming on checked oil and was not showing on dipstick,took 2 litres to get right and was only serviced in jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

It doesn't bother me as its the wife's car just i drove it the other day and the oil light was faintly flicking on the verge of coming on checked oil and was not showing on dipstick,took 2 litres to get right and was only serviced in jan.

Now that I would worry about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Unless it has a bad oil leak it must be burning oil at a high rate so. Its probably more than the head that needs rebuilding(valve stem seals). The design of these engines mean that if you want to remove the pistons to replace the piston rings the whole engine will have to come out, separated from the gearbox and then dismantled. A second hand engine will cheaper if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Those engines are a bit fussy about their oil. They need 5W-30 oil but some places just throw in 10W-40 and this seemingly causes them to burn oil over time. The problem can be reversed to some extent by using the proper oil, according to some forums.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Those engines are a bit fussy about their oil. They need 5W-30 oil but some places just throw in 10W-40 and this seemingly causes them to burn oil over time. The problem can be reversed to some extent by using the proper oil, according to some forums.

Yeah we use 5w-30.Getting a second hand engine wouldn't the same have to be checked with the engine as we could be putting a worse one in or have the same problem?
    We have a second car to use so i might leave it with a mechanic and fix the engine we have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement