Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a hard drive from an external " WD my passport essential"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

danniemcq wrote: »
    you would find a hard drive that might just fit in a caddy.

You'll probably need a replacement drive from WD, they're using circuit boards with non-standard connectors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It's just a regular laptop drive, i have one myself. There are plenty of videos on the web that show you how to replace the drive inside with a new/bigger model. If the SATA - USB board is damaged thats a different story obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

When a HDD drops and stops working, 99.99% of the time the drive itself is broken. Not the enclosure.

That's just the unfortunate reality of it.

Also note that most recent WD external drives are unreadable from anything other than the original enclosure. Anything advertised with hardware encrpytion feature. The encryption is applied to all data at the controller level whether you 'enable' it or not.

Advertisement