Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Horsepower?

• 29-02-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have very hilly land and i was thinkin of getting a bigger tractor for spreading slurry. I have a 110 90 good yoke but all i can pull is a 1000-1300 gl tank. What sort of tractor do ye think? I was thinkin a 1580 160-90. There is plenty of Same s on done deal. not sure. Something not too hard on juice:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have very hilly land and i was thinkin of getting a bigger tractor for spreading slurry. I have a 110 90 good yoke but all i can pull is a 1000-1300 gl tank. What sort of tractor do ye think? I was thinkin a 1580 160-90. There is plenty of Same s on done deal. not sure. Something not too hard on juice:pac:

the 110-90 should be able for a 2000 gallon surely? maybe traction might be a problem but not power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

1580, 160-90 arent really light on diesel. not that heavy either but you have to expect them to be a bit heavier than your 110-90 as they have another 50 hp on them. i think your problem is that you dont have enough traction. its possible that the 1580 could also struggle and cant be gaurenteed to fly up a hill with a tanker. they would have the power no problem but maybe not the traction. first thing to look at with your 110-90 are your tyres and see could they be improved eg is there grippier ones on the market. btw 1580/160-90 are making between 10-13k for a goodish one. there getting on a bit now too so problems could arise. both them tractors have column change which i actually love. they are also very big and a bit awkward compared to modern to 160 hp tractors. have a look at them anyway and see what you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

be interesting to see a pic of your tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

maybe a set of weights?

I drove a same Laser 130 a few years ago with an 18ft redrock and it had crap front end traction. Same the year i drove a New Holland 7840.
    The New Holland was so different with 300kg out front

If the ground it hilly would a ground driven tank work? 6 wheels pulling v 4 . Have no experience but i do see a nice 2500g tank for sale on donedeal this 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padowado

I would stay with the 110-90.....one of the BEST tractors
    ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

padowado wrote: »
    I would stay with the 110-90.....one of the BEST tractors
    ever made.

a friend of mine that has a lot of piggerys moves alot of slurry with 3 110-90 s and 3000 gal tanks , i think 2 of them has turbos , he often had newer tractors out on demo but to hard to run on diesel , two of these fiats will be on the road from mid january till mid october , i think he use to fill the back wheels with water to help the tractor with traction , stay with ur 110-90 parts for 1580 can be hard got now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

6480 wrote: »
    a friend of mine that has a lot of piggerys moves alot of slurry with 3 110-90 s and 3000 gal tanks , i think 2 of them has turbos , he often had newer tractors out on demo but to hard to run on diesel , two of these fiats will be on the road from mid january till mid october , i think he use to fill the back wheels with water to help the tractor with traction , stay with ur 110-90 parts for 1580 can be hard got now

new parts are still available although maybe expensive now. mike garahy in offaly has all the parts for fiats or he can order them in. will you be keeping the 110-90 aswell? the 1580 will be a bit of an investment. get a clean one and it will always be worth its money. spray it with oil often to keep rust at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ya im keeping the 110, a tiny bit of cab damage after been rolled twice but mechanically perfect, just thinking of getting another yolk. Brother was saying about tm 150-170. Their good value around the 00 mark

Advertisement