Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy snacks?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

So, what do you girls eat when the hunger pangs set in, between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner and between dinner and bed....basically all day!?

I'm not eating for two, but an apple at 11am just doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

I know I have already put on extra weight - I'm only 20 weeks and I'd say 14lbs up - easily!

So please, let's talk snacks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Silly I usually eat apple + plum, or bran flakes + strawberries + vanilla yogurt or homemade muffin (low on fat and sugar with a lot of oat flakes, sunflower seed, cranberries and raisins)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Saurelin wrote: »
    Silly I usually eat apple + plum, or bran flakes + strawberries + vanilla yogurt or homemade muffin (low on fat and sugar with a lot of oat flakes, sunflower seed, cranberries and raisins)
    Sounds lovely saurelin, can you give us the recipe for the muffins? They sound delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

-Peanut butter on oat cakes with sliced banana
    -Scrambled egg whites
    -Glenisk Natural yoghurt with nuts, raises, blueberries & drizzle of honey (their full fat nat yoghurt is delicious)
    -cottage cheese on spelt crackers or wholewheat toast
    -Homemade hummus with anything :)
    -I've also bought cheap nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts) and raisins in Aldi and made a fruit & nut jar at home. I bring a handful into work in a bag as a filling and nutritious snack

silly wrote: »
    Sounds lovely saurelin, can you give us the recipe for the muffins? They sound delicious!

Healthy muffins

In one bowl mix:
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon of oil
    1/2 cup of low fat yogurt (I usually use natural)
    2 tablespoon of low fat milk (sometimes more)

in second bowl mix:
    1 & 1/2 cup of self raising flour
    1/2 teaspoon of baking powder or baking soda
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    pinch of salt
    pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg

sometimes few drops of vanilla extract or lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together and add:
    1/2 cup of outs (the cheapest from tesco are the best for that)
    3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
    2 tablespoons of cranberries

I sometimes add nuts instead of seeds or add raisins or an apple cut in small chunks.

bake in 180 deg C for approx 25- 35 min (or until golden brown)

usually it makes 12 muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Saurelin wrote: »
    silly wrote: »

Healthy muffins

In one bowl mix:
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon of oil
    1/2 cup of low fat yogurt (I usually use natural)
    2 tablespoon of low fat milk (sometimes more)

in second bowl mix:
    1 & 1/2 cup of self raising flour
    1/2 teaspoon of baking powder or baking soda
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    pinch of salt
    pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg

sometimes few drops of vanilla extract or lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together and add:
    1/2 cup of outs (the cheapest from tesco are the best for that)
    3 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
    2 tablespoons of cranberries

I sometimes add nuts instead of seeds or add raisins or an apple cut in small chunks.

bake in 180 deg C for approx 25- 35 min (or until golden brown)

usually it makes 12 muffins
    Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I am SO making those muffins Saurelin. Any other healthy dessert type recipes out there??

Between breakfast & lunch, I have a small yogurt, an apple & a baby-bel cheese. Between lunch & dinner I have a banana. I haven't really been eating after dinner as hubby usually stuffs me with food but I'll always have a biccie or small choccie bar or something sweet after dinner.

I'm up 11lbs since preg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This is one I'm planning on making later today or tomorrow. 1 bag of mixed nuts whizzed in blender when they are all broken up add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and whizz until you have a mixed nut butter and remove it from the blender, don't worry about cleaning the blender at this point. De-stone a pack of fresh dates and put them in the blender, whizz them round. Once they are all broken up in small pieces put the nutbutter back in and whizz it around some more, until it all mixes together.

Then get a tray ready with a sheet of greased paper. Spread the mixture evenly on the tray and refrigerate overnight. In the morning cut them up into bars or squares for a very healthy fruit and nut bar. You can add other things to the mix like coconut flakes or even cocoa powder or pieces of chocolate if you want a chocolate fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hey Saurelin, is the batter supposed to be wet or dry?

Advertisement