Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People that are both ugly and beautiful

• 29-02-2012 11:00am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a rare enough phenomenon but occasionally one comes across a person whose facial features are so striking that he/she at once appears to be both beautiful and ugly. It usually happens, I find, with big mouths and pronounced cheekbones but can also occur when there's something indefinably odd about a face.

Sandra Bernhard managed it, as did Béatrice Dalle and one of my neighbours. I think Serena Williams just about qualifies although that's more to do with her Amazon physique.

There was an episode of Seinfeld with the two-faced woman but I think the viewer never really got to see her properly and I can't find any stills from the episode.

Anyone got any decent examples?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

It's a rare enough phenomenon but occasionally one comes across a person whose facial features are so striking that he/she at once appears to be both beautiful and ugly. It usually happens, I find, with big mouths and pronounced cheekbones but can also occur when there's something indefinably odd about a face.

Sandra Bernhard managed it, as did Béatrice Dalle and one of my neighbours. I think Serena Williams just about qualifies although that's more to do with her Amazon physique.

There was an episode of Seinfeld with the two-faced woman but I think the viewer never really got to see her properly and I can't find any stills from the episode.

Anyone got any decent examples?

Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask - breathtakingly ugly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Leona Lewis..

From one angle an absolute beaute, from another, king kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

CatDog - I mean what is going on with dog's face?!
    catdog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Lily Cole.

Personally I think she's just a mutant that looks like half her face is missing, but I know many see her as beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Juliette Lewis and Micky Rourke come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Benedict Cumberbatch

In one way he looks good, in another he doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

William Defoe belongs on this list

Handsome in an unconventional sort of way

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sykk wrote: »
    Leona Lewis..

I don't know who that it is but the first page of google image results all look nice. I need to see an example of the latter.

Juliette Lewis (no relation?) is a good call. Personally I can't stand her but I could see that people would find her attractive.

Lily Cole was one I was thinking of earlier but forgot to mention.
    gubbie wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch

Yep, classic freakbones on him.

Willem Dafoe is also a perfect example.

Mickey Rourke is more an example of bad ageing/surgery I think. He was just straight-up handsome when younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It's a rare enough phenomenon but occasionally one comes across a person whose facial features are so striking that he/she at once appears to be both beautiful and ugly.

I'd say the deciding factor in this is your level of alcohol consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nike319

Courtney Love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 nike319

Sykk wrote: »
    Leona Lewis..

+1

nike319 wrote: »
    Courtney Love

Yeah, in every single photo of her she has this... yeah but, no but thing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Rosie-Huntington Whitly

Its just her face, from some angles she looks amazing, and then from others....I dunno its like her eyes are really far apart and she's had a bad allergic reaction to something, too puffy or something. Weird.

I'll try and find photos to illustrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Knocker measurements usually solve any arguments as to ones beauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Beautifugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Claudia Winkleman!

I can never decide if she's really pretty, or strange looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Uma Thurman
    Tilda Swinton
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Madonna

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Mary Harney...

Steve Buscemi

I don't see anything there at all but I suppose put him in a suit and give him some good lines and he can be strangely charismatic in his roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Julia Roberts.
    Most modern day high fashion models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Claudia Sophie Winkleman!

Problem solved.

Gilldog wrote: »
    Rosie-Huntington Whitly

Its just her face, from some angles she looks amazing, and then from others....I dunno its like her eyes are really far apart and she's had a bad allergic reaction to something, too puffy or something. Weird.

I'll try and find photos to illustrate.

For me she's just a shade too good-looking to fit the criteria. She's almost there with the cheeks and the mouth but I don't think I'd ever have a second thought.
    ash23 wrote: »
    Uma Thurman
    Tilda Swinton
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Madonna

A few excellent shouts there. I was thinking of Tilda Swinton earlier but for me she's just not an attractive woman at all. Then again, I can always see that there's something about her that just might be appealing.

Uma Thurman actually manages to be plain, beautiful and occasionally a little bit ugly.

SJP had this in spades when she was younger. I remember seeing her in two films where she went from stunner to munter and couldn't understand what was going on.

It was always hard to tell exactly what Madonna really looked like.

Sophie Ellis Bextor anyone? Jennifer Connelly?

Jennifer Connelly does not belong on this list

Sure she is always playing troubled characters on the verge of breaking down but still, there is no ugly side there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

For me she's just a shade too good-looking to fit the criteria. She's almost there with the cheeks and the mouth but I don't think I'd ever have a second thought.

A few excellent shouts there. I was thinking of Tilda Swinton earlier but for me she's just not an attractive woman at all. Then again, I can always see that there's something about her that just might be appealing.

Uma Thurman actually manages to be plain, beautiful and occasionally a little bit ugly.

SJP had this in spades when she was younger. I remember seeing her in two films where she went from stunner to munter and couldn't understand what was going on.

It was always hard to tell exactly what Madonna really looked like.

Sophie Ellis Bextor anyone? Jennifer Connelly?

Sophie Ellis Bextor, yep. She was called Moonface by Robbie Williams once, I believe.

Jennifer Connelly...not so much. I think about her the same way you do about Rosie. Without the sexual overtones, if there were any :P How about the late Amy Winehouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Daniel Craig.

He just reminds me of a pretty Sid James from the Carry On films.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/6/128967211379326620.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Danny Machete Trejo. He has more character then face.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Sophie Ellis baxter is a good one.

Amy Winehouse was stunning but her addictions ravaged her so I don't think she qualifies.

There are loads of minging men who are considered gorgeous but usually because of their "bad boy image" (think Blake Fielder, Jamie Hince, Frankie Cocozza)- all mingers but some girls think they're only gorgeous. Bleugh.

Clint Eastwood was always one I could never understand. And Robert Redford. Though that's probably an age thing.

Jack Nicholson.

Although again, he falls more under the "ugly but rich and famous and therefore attractive". Similar to Simon Cowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Isabella Rossellini - definitely beautiful but sometimes can look a bit on the strange side. Cute acent as well and definitely sexy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

I get that she has a totally hot body and such...but I still maintain that her face has too much of a Jocelyn Wildenstein look to it...especially the chin-to-mouth-to-nose-ratio. But her eyes are amazing so maybe if she wore a balaclava we'd all be happy.

Jennifer Connoly is really pretty with strangely harsh eyebrows, it makes her look angry all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Claire Danes.. well in Homeland anyway.

One minute you look at her and think she is good looking, next angle you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

gubbie wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch

You take that back!!!!!!!

Benedict is a divine and otherwordly creature, that still manages to exude raw unadulterated sexiness.

Denis Leary has more of a beau laid thing going on IMO. Or Kristen Johnston from 'Third rock from the sun'. Both hot, and like a duck at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The French have a specific phrase for this ... "jolie laide" which literally means "pretty (and) ugly" although it's more like attractive, but not in a traditionally pretty way, rather than ugly per se.

Can't think of any new example off the top of my head, but I agree with Sophie Ellis-Bextor as being one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Newborn babies are kinda beautifugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Back in the X-Files day, I could never decide if Gillian Anderson was hot or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

The redhaired singer from that 90s band Garbage

sophie ellis Baxter

jonathan Rhys myers, I know he's goodlooking but something gross

sean Penn, ugly as sin in some ways but something utterly beautiful

uma thurman

Sarah jessica Parker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Alun wrote: »
    The French have a specific phrase for this ... "jolie laide" which literally means "pretty (and) ugly" although it's more like attractive, but not in a traditionally pretty way, rather than ugly per se.

Can't think of any new example off the top of my head, but I agree with Sophie Ellis-Bextor as being one.

'Beau laid' for men and 'jolie laide' for women I think.

Gerard Depardieu was always the example for the phenomenon - lots of sex appeal, but still kinda ugly. Think he's a bit old to be hot now though. And of course, there's the smell of wee off him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Sandra Bernhard

How many of you had to Google it

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Claudia Winkleman!

Yep, she has that sort of dodgy middle of the face thing my neighbour has and that woman from Seinfeld had.
    Jennifer Connelly...not so much. I think about her the same way you do about Rosie.
    It's just the eyebrows. They can be off-putting to the point of distraction but I concede that she's never exactly ugly.
    foxyboxer wrote: »
    Daniel Craig.

He just reminds me of a pretty Sid James from the Carry On films.

Good spot. I thought about him, but wrote him off as 'ruggedly handsome'. It's true that he's a bit of a fuggo from certain angles.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Danny Machete Trejo. He has more character then face.

I can really only see one frighteningly ugly side of the coin there.
    ash23 wrote: »
    Amy Winehouse was stunning but her addictions ravaged her so I don't think she qualifies.
    Exactly.
    There are loads of minging men who are considered gorgeous but usually because of their "bad boy image" (think Blake Fielder, Jamie Hince, Frankie Cocozza)- all mingers but some girls think they're only gorgeous. Bleugh.
    This is more a taste thing. If you personally can say without qualification that a person is ugly or beautiful it doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Isy Suttie (Dobby from Peep Show)
    http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=933&q=isy+suttie&gbv=2&oq=isy+suttie&aq=f&aqi=g9g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1281l2764l0l2908l10l10l0l3l3l0l93l286l7l7l0

Dobby nickname is fairly well deserved... but sometimes she just has this absolutely beautiful look about her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Catherine Thomas:
    In her No Frontiers days when she would be make-up less and in shorts and tee shirts i thought she was the most gorgeous thing on TV but I dont like her glammed up. Her eye brows are drawn on half way up her fore head, her hair looks like a bad Barbie wig and i just dont think it suits her.
    ...and yes i know that her regular appearances in a bikini on No Frontiers is possible influencing me;)

Christina Agu-whatsherface
    Kelly Clarkson
    Christina Ricci
    Sophie Dahl
    Kate Moss (to me anyway - half the time she looks dog rough)

Claire Danes.. well in Homeland anyway.

One minute you look at her and think she is good looking, next angle you don't

I don't think she quite hits ugly part of the spectrum but definitely vacillates between hot and meh.

Or Kristen Johnston from 'Third rock from the sun'. Both hot, and like a duck at the same time.
    100% agree. Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) is of a similar type.
    Katgurl wrote: »
    sean Penn, ugly as sin in some ways but something utterly beautiful
    Absolutely.
    Sandra Bernhard

How many of you had to Google it
    Literally the first example in the thread.

Three new ones:
    Ellen Muth (Dead Like Me)
    Hilary Swank
    Ataui Deng (Sudanese model)

Fergie from the Black eyed peas.
    The blonde from Greys Anatomy (the main one). I always thought she was minging and then I saw her in an old episode of friends and she was stunning. I was confused.

(I sound very lesbian on this thread :o)

Robin williams hairy big nosed shouldnt be handsome but strangely is .....probably on my own with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Lisa Kudrow back in her Friends heyday.

A slighty obscure one: Karine Vanasse from Pan Am.
    Sometimes she looks great, sometimes a bit more plain, but always kind of sexy. Maybe it's the French (Canadian) accent that does it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fairuza Balk

Definitely an odd thing going on there, where she objectively makes you think no f'n way, but she still makes with the groin tingles.

Although looking at her picture on IMDB, she definitely looked better in her younger days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Paz de la Huerta - Lucy Danziger from Boardwalk Empire

I would.....nah, I wouldn't....oh, screw it I would....well, maybe......

• Advertisement
Advertisement