Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldurs Gate 3?

• 29-02-2012 11:07am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Oh. My. God! :eek:

So, there's something stirring at baldursgate.com. Bioware have confirmed that they are hoping to announcing something soon. Hopefully it will be a full blown sequel, similar to Dragon Age, but way better. I'd absolutely love to see a return to an Infinity style engine (best rpg engine ever!). Something similar to Diablo 3's engine maybe?
    We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon.
    Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine

For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory.

And then... it returned. Better than it was before.

Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all.

As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life.

Grated, it probably won't be anywhere near as good as the originals, but i'd absolutely love a return to the world. And while Bioware haven't exactly kept their standards as high as they were, it would be fantastic to see them do it right. Baldurs Gate 2 is still in my all time top 5 games. Absolutely fantastic series.

Also, Baldurs Gate: Complete is being released on Steam soon. Buy it when it does. Do it!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

While I still love Bioware titles, given their latest releases my favourite piece of news about this is...
    GameBanshee reports the developer is Beamdog, a company co-founded by BioWare veteran Trent Oster. Oster worked on Baldur's Gate, lead the development of Neverwinter Nights and its expansions, and worked for two years as the Director of Technology and lead the development on BioWare's Eclipse Engine, which powers Dragon Age. He left BioWare in June 2009.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Also, Baldurs Gate: Complete is being released on Steam soon. Buy it when it does. Do it!!

Actually I'd suggest buying them on GoG instead. There have been reports of third party mods not playing nice with Steam purchased games, some of which would be vital for the older Infinity Engine games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

also because gog is ****ing awesome and people should spend money there not because they need games, but because gog is ****ing awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Personally I'd rather they leave well enough alone and focus on a new franchise. The Bioware of old died once EA got involved in the mix as can be seen from the lackluster quality of both DA2 and SWTOR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

$9.99 for complete pack on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete

Ive never actually played BG in any form, im sooo tempted to pick this up and play before Diablo 3 and GW2 are released, which reminds me ive never played diablo 2.

Bioware have gone well down in my estimation after their latest offering swhich are nothing short of rubbish imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love them to do an official release of the entire series, in the BG2 engine. It's easy to do with mods (BG Tutu), and it would be great to see it in an official format.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Ive never actually played BG in any form, im sooo tempted to pick this up and play before Diablo 3 and GW2 are released, which reminds me ive never played diablo 2.

You're dead to me :pac:

Seriously though, they are both fantastic games, that are definitely worth playing. Baldurs Gate especially so. You won't be able to complete them anytime soon though, as they are both massive. BG alone has well over 100 hours of content.
    Venom wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather they leave well enough alone and focus on a new franchise. The Bioware of old died once EA got involved in the mix as can be seen from the lackluster quality of both DA2 and SWTOR.

While i agree that Bioware doesn't have the same 'holy crap' factor they had a few years back, i'm still hopeful that they can do this justice. It's one of the original developers of BG and NW:N, so we can hope. I certainly won't write them off till we get some more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

One of my greatest gaming shames is not playing the Baldur's Gate series.
    I had a demo of the first one years ago and played it half a dozen times.

I just didn't / don't have 200 hours to spare!

The Steam version is hardly a HD remake, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I have mixed feelings about this. While I'd love if they made a Baldur's Gate 3 and it was made by the people who made the first two games and is of the same quality they won't. It'll be some dumbed down console trash á la Dragon Age. And I'll still end up buying it just to be sure :(

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I wonder how my f'ing retarded elf on dwarf gay sex it'll feature! :rolleyes:

Sigh, I miss games from 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Butt Kicking for Justice!!!

Minsc & Boo better be in it or I ain't interested.

If there is even a hint of that She-Demon chick with the woeful dialog from NWN2 I ain't touching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Also never played BG. Call me a graphics whore but I just don't know if I could go and play a game that looks like that anymore.

Screw it, got paid today (:D) so bought BG2 there. Will give it a go.

So many games to play though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

BG3 Great is great news....so long as it isnt made by bioware :( give it to obsidian or someone half decent that wont cut content for the sake of milking money out of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

danthefan wrote: »
    Also never played BG. Call me a graphics whore but I just don't know if I could go and play a game that looks like that anymore.

Screw it, got paid today (:D) so bought BG2 there. Will give it a go.

So many games to play though.

There are HD mods for it.

Sharrow wrote: »
    There are HD mods for it.

Interesting.

Any chance of a link to a decent one? I knew there were mods but as a BG newbie I reckon I'll play through it with unmodded gameplay once anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

BG3 Great is great news....so long as it isnt made by bioware :( give it to obsidian or someone half decent that wont cut content for the sake of milking money out of people

After the mess Odsidian made of Kotor 2 there the last company I would want making BG3.

Interesting.

Any chance of a link to a decent one? I knew there were mods but as a BG newbie I reckon I'll play through it with unmodded gameplay once anyway.

It's not so much a hd mod, as a widescreen mod. It supports originally unsupported resolutions, and makes the game look quite good considering how old it is. Also works for all the games using the Infinity Engine (Planescape, Icewind Dale etc...)

Infinity Engine Widescreen Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Dcully wrote: »
    $9.99 for complete pack on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete

Bioware have gone well down in my estimation after their latest offering swhich are nothing short of rubbish imo.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection?caff=530501

Pick it up here €6.78

Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    Planescape: Torment
    The Temple of Elemental Evil

Stupid question, the expansion for BG2 is just that, an expansion, right?

When I load up the game it asks me which I want to play, I should go for Throne of Bhaal, or will I miss anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ah, Baldur's Gate, it was my very first RPG really. Well, the first that made sense from the start.

The intro just blew me away at the time. The story was pretty sweet, the bad guy was clever AND badass, the music was loveliness incarnate. And Minsc and Boo? Well, Minsc and Boo are Minsc and Boo!

I don't think I'd trust anyone but the old Black Isle team to handle a Baldur's Gate 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

planescape:torment..one of the 5 top games ever made imo;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

GO FOR THE EYES BOO!

The mere mention of BG3 makes me weak at the knees, please say no more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Crosáidí wrote: »
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection?caff=530501

Pick it up here €6.78

Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    Planescape: Torment
    The Temple of Elemental Evil

Jaysus thats some bargain.
    Havent played any of them but BG,ID and PT have legendary status so ill be grabbing them, cheers for linking us.

Purchase made, total of 10.2 GB dload if anyones interested.

What should i play first ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Kind of. ToB is an expansion in that it requires BG2 to play. Storywise however, Baldur's Gate was written as a trilogy. BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast is the first part, BG2 is the second and ToB is the third.

Due to that, I'd highly recommend starting with BG1. The instructions here show how to put BG1 in the BG2 engine to both improve it graphically and gameplay wise as you can choose more classes etc.

When I load up the game it asks me which I want to play, I should go for Throne of Bhaal, or will I miss anything?

Play BG2 first. Throne of Bhaal is a direct continuation, and pretty much starts up immediately after.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

This thing hasn't even been announced and it's already got zero chance of living up to the sequel I've been imagining for the last ten (or more?) years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Does anyone ever read any of the books based around this? I have a couple but never got around to reading them, looks like some are based on that Elf Dritz O' Duarden or something like that. I remember encountering him ingame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Well I'm not going to shoot it down before I've even played it but as long as it uses the same gameplay principles as BG1 & 2 and Dragonage 1, and as long as the characters are good and its not like Skyrim or Dragonage 2 then I'm happy, ecstatic even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭Daith

Gandalph wrote: »
    Does anyone ever read any of the books based around this? I have a couple but never got around to reading them, looks like some are based on that Elf Dritz O' Duarden or something like that. I remember encountering him ingame

There's tonnes of books based in the Forgotten Realms setting. There's a few Baldur's Gate books but they all suck.

If you want to pick up a book, I'd suggest the Icewind Dale series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I read some of the Drizzt (Drizzt Do'Urden) books, "The Dark Elf Trilogy." The first book "Homeland" is brilliant, its based in the matriarchal dark elf city and I found it incredibly interesting to read about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

GO FOR THE EYES BOO!

B'ah beaten to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Joystiq are leaning towards it being a HD remake as opposed to a sequel...

Advertisement