Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldurs Gate 3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hah, code has now changed to...
    "Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine

Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm!"

I wouldn't mind a HD remake actually. The first game in the series could probably do with one given the lack of hardware accelerated effects found in the sequel. Outside of that a general UI polish with proper widescreen wouldn't go astray either. The references to the Infinity Engine are nice though, at least it means we won't be seeing another Dark Alliance instead of the more traditional BG game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

And Tom's Hardware put forward the possibility it could be a port to tablets... That would suck so much it would actually hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

You must gather your hardware before venturing forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

A little bit excited at the thoughts of a sequel that would live up to BG2.

I won't get my hopes up too much though - not even sure if it's a sequel yet, and don't want to be let down if it's not up to standard.

"YOU POINT. I PUNCH."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

a hd remake would be as legendary as sequel tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Specially for someone like me who's never really played the orginal 2 games. ^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Magill wrote: »

Started playing them , can already see why everyone says they are so epic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Magill wrote: »

You missed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What exactly is a HD release going to do better than the already-available widescreen mod? I already play it in 1920x1080.

Dcully wrote: »
    Started playing them , can already see why everyone says they are so epic.

They do seem like i'd really enjoy them tbh, i just never got round to it... hopefully they do a HD remake of both games + expansions.
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    You missed out

It would appear so mr.perrin... i guess i was more a diablo guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

quarryman wrote: »
    What exactly is a HD release going to do better than the already-available widescreen mod? I already play it in 1920x1080.
    Improved textures and animations, I imagine.

Bought the set from gamersgate and started replaying, had forgotten how much I loved this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭Daith

Bought all from GOG. A HD remake might be good but I always thought it was a pretty timeless game (mainly BG2) too though.

Anybody else recreate their crew from the D&D cartoon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyone excited about Baldurs Gate 3 must be off their rocker. EA owns Bioware and Bioware have very much lost all the respect they once had.

Anyone excited about Baldurs Gate 3 must be off their rocker. EA owns Bioware and Bioware have very much lost all the respect they once had.
    And Bioware aren't making Baldur's Gate 3...

http://baldursgate.com/

So.... some news tomorrow at 7pm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

gizmo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a HD remake actually. The first game in the series could probably do with one given the lack of hardware accelerated effects found in the sequel
    You can use the EasyTutu mod to play BG1 in the BG2 engine. So personally I don't see the point in a HD remake

Or indeed a remake at all. If someone wants to create a new BG game, even if it has little relation to the originals, then fine. I can respect that even if it's Interplay. Much better than someone simply picking over the series's corpse to update the graphics and the like

Reekwind wrote: »
    You can use the EasyTutu mod to play BG1 in the BG2 engine. So personally I don't see the point in a HD remake

Or indeed a remake at all. If someone wants to create a new BG game, even if it has little relation to the originals, then fine. I can respect that even if it's Interplay. Much better than someone simply picking over the series's corpse to update the graphics and the like
    I don't really consider mods a viable option for newcomers to the series which is why I'd be happy to see a decent remastering being done to it. Not only that but positive sales from a possible re-release could lead to a new entry in the series that is more BG1 & 2 and less Dark Alliance. :o

But why would you want another game? The BG story is over, it has been told over two games and two expansions. Even the aborted Josh Sawyer BG project a few years back would have essentially been a completely new tale using a familiar brand. The original team has moved on and what they produced doesn't need any bells and whistles

Fans have to accept that series do end. A HD remake will add nothing to to BG - because it's already possible to that for free* - and would just represent Interplay trying to squeeze a few more cents from one of its few remaining assets. They should let it go and produce some original content (ie, the next BG) instead. But then that's something that publishers are ever more reluctant to do

*Although anyone who doesn't want to spend 15min installing a mod is perfectly free to cough up €30+ for what is essentially the same thing. A fool and his money...

But why would you want another game? The BG story is over, it has been told over two games and two expansions. Even the aborted Josh Sawyer BG project a few years back would have essentially been a completely new tale using a familiar brand. The original team has moved on and what they produced doesn't need any bells and whistles

Fans have to accept that series do end. A HD remake will add nothing to to BG - because it's already possible to that for free* - and would just represent Interplay trying to squeeze a few more cents from one of its few remaining assets. They should let it go and produce some original content (ie, the next BG) instead. But then that's something that publishers are ever more reluctant to do

*Although anyone who doesn't want to spend 15min installing a mod is perfectly free to cough up €30+ for what is essentially the same thing. A fool and his money...
    Oh I wouldn't really want an attempt at the continuation of the story, more along the lines of The Black Hound where they were leveraging the name but creating an entirely new story set in the same universe using the same or updated ruleset. As I said earlier in the thread, the involvement of Trent Oster is what really had me excited, if it was an entirely new development team with none of the original staff then my excitement would be minimal.

And again, I simply don't agree that calling someone who doesn't have the technical knowledge to know about, track down and install a mod to a 1998/2000 game is a fool. :)

• Advertisement

Then what's the point in calling it Baldur's Gate? Simply plastering a new game, released over a decade after the originals, with an old brand is less offensive than a straight up remake... but not by much
    gizmo wrote:
    And again, I simply don't agree that calling someone who doesn't have the technical knowledge to know about, track down and install a mod to a 1998/2000 game is a fool.
    Sorry but anyone who would rather spend money to buy an updated game when there is a free mod (complete with self-installer) that essentially does the same thing is a fool

Then what's the point in calling it Baldur's Gate? Simply plastering a new game, released over a decade after the originals, with an old brand is less offensive than a straight up remake... but not by much
    I don't see any harm in leveraging the brand name if the core game is the same as the previous entries unlike, for instance, the new Syndicate. It's not exactly necessary but I can see Interplay being far more open to that then a completely new IP with the same mechanics.
    Sorry but anyone who would rather spend money to buy an updated game when there is a free mod (complete with self-installer) that essentially does the same thing is a fool
    The idea of a HD remaster is that it wouldn't essentially do the same thing. For example you'd have a properly redone UI and accelerated effects specific to the spells in BG 1. On top of that you'd have the actual BG game rather than the content of BG with the mechanics of BG2. You also wouldn't have any of the outstanding niggles in Tutu like the Beregost save bug and the handful of graphics glitches. I'm not advocating a full price release or anything but a budget release with the above featureset would be far more preferable to the majority of people than the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In Baldur's Gate 2 you don't go near the actual city, in fact you spend all your time in a totally different kingdom. Still called it Baldur's Gate 2.

Site crashed :D

Anyway.. an enhanced edition will be released ! Sweeeet.
    Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.
    Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.
    Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.
    The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced.

Hmm, not too bad. Overhaul Games did a decent job with MDK2 HD so fingers crossed they're as careful with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thank god it's not a BG3, which would basically be BG for the facebook generation.

This is a proper polishing of the original titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hoping for a Mac version.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just spent the last 30 mins trying to install that Tutu mod. Problem is it stopped having any updates just about 3 years ago and Windows 7 doesn't seem to want to run it properly which is unfortunate.

So if there's to be a revamped version of it, then I won't object too much. I never got to play the games the first time around. I was looking at the recommended specs and laughed as my current phone has about 3 times the power of the specs listed, so I figure I should look and see if someone's made a Windows 95 emulator for Android :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yeah, id much rather this than BG3 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Shiminay wrote: »
    So if there's to be a revamped version of it, then I won't object too much. I never got to play the games the first time around. I was looking at the recommended specs and laughed as my current phone has about 3 times the power of the specs listed, so I figure I should look and see if someone's made a Windows 95 emulator for Android :D
    Windows 95 isn't emulated, but the infinity engine itself actually is.

Advertisement