Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldurs Gate 3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

This will be a must purchase for me. They were some of my favourite games of the era.

If the enhanced editions sell really well then it might persuade the publishers to greenlight a Baldurs Gate 3 as it would prove there is still a decent market for a traditional D&D CRPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

This is ridiculous. It's going to be a graphical polish of the ToB engine with minimal new content. I honestly don't see why people are getting excited about this. Is it just pushing the right nostalgia buttons? Has everyone lost their copy of the original and can't be arsed to get it cheap from GOG?

I love BG and I revisit it every few years or so. I'm even in the minority who prefers the original to the sequel. But I see nothing here to excite me: BG, running EasyTutu, is perfectly playable and pretty enough for me today
    sink wrote: »
    This will be a must purchase for me. They were some of my favourite games of the era
    So you're going to buy the game again?
    Shiminay wrote:
    I just spent the last 30 mins trying to install that Tutu mod. Problem is it stopped having any updates just about 3 years ago and Windows 7 doesn't seem to want to run it properly which is unfortunate
    Have a look around. I've run it fine in both W7 and Vista. If this is an issue then there should be plenty of resources out there for resolving it
    gizmo wrote:
    I don't see any harm in leveraging the brand name if the core game is the same as the previous entries unlike, for instance, the new Syndicate. It's not exactly necessary but I can see Interplay being far more open to that then a completely new IP with the same mechanics.
    It makes perfect sense from the perspective of the publisher, it makes rather less from that of a fan of the originals or innovation in the industry

But it's a moot point: Interplay have gone down the 'lick of paint' route
    The idea of a HD remaster is that it wouldn't essentially do the same thing. For example you'd have a properly redone UI and accelerated effects specific to the spells in BG 1. On top of that you'd have the actual BG game rather than the content of BG with the mechanics of BG2
    Actually it will be the latter, today's 'big reveal' included the nugget that the game will be based off ToB mechanics. So it's essentially a fancy looking version of EasyTutu

Which is ironic given that they're releasing a 2D isometric game. On the one hand there's a statement of 'we don't care about your modern graphics, we're 2D isometric all the way' (to paraphrase) and on the other they're releasing a game that will be almost identical to the original save for a minor graphical facelift. They have their cake and they're eating it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Reekwind wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. It's going to be a graphical polish of the ToB engine with minimal new content. I honestly don't see why people are getting excited about this. Is it just pushing the right nostalgia buttons? Has everyone lost their copy of the original and can't be arsed to get it cheap from GOG?
    They're excited for the same reason they were excited about some of the better recent HD re-releases such as God Of War and Ico/Shadow Of Colossus. These games don't need to have their mechanics changed, they could just do with a little spit shine for the benefit of audiences both old and new.
    I love BG and I revisit it every few years or so. I'm even in the minority who prefers the original to the sequel. But I see nothing here to excite me: BG, running EasyTutu, is perfectly playable and pretty enough for me today
    Perhaps it's not perfectly playable and pretty enough for others? I explained already why a proper remaster would be better than using Tutu, if they manage that then the benefits are quite obvious.
    It makes perfect sense from the perspective of the publisher, it makes rather less from that of a fan of the originals or innovation in the industry
    This is one of the few occassions where this is as good as it's going to get with regard to this series. Interplay, as you seem to be aware, are pretty much in the **** (and indeed have been for a considerable amount of time) and every project they're currently working on leverages their existing IP. As I said previously, if they release this remaster and it's succesful then hopefully it will lead to some sort of deal whereby we get another title which has similar mechanics to the likes of BG/ID/P:T, whether it's via Interplay or a third party. It would certainly make a nice change from the various "lite" RPGs we've had in the last while.
    Actually it will be the latter, today's 'big reveal' included the nugget that the game will be based off ToB mechanics. So it's essentially a fancy looking version of EasyTutu
    Missed that part, got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I honestly don't know why people who aren't interested in the remake care that others are !

As far as i can tell, the second game sold approx 2 million units.. there is still a **** load of people who haven't played it (Like me.. i've somehow skipped over it). I'd much prefer to play a polished remake of the orginal than play on low res (Or mess about with mods and the like just to get it to run at a decent res) version.

Same reason i bought the God of war remakes.. sooo much better in HD...

This game is constantly touted as one of the best RPG's (If not the best) ever made, i think it deserves an upgrade, relaunch and all that comes with launching a new title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I personally thought Jan Irenicus was the best villain I have ever come across in a game, there was just something about him that was so cool and powerful. He put down cowled wizards like dominos!

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Perhaps it's not perfectly playable and pretty enough for others?
    In terms of playability - with the exception of a handful of minor bugs and those who, for some reason, cannot use EasyTutu - this new version will make no major changes. If you can't stand the gameplay of the originals then there's little in this rehash that will change that

And I dare anyone to claim that the BG2 graphics are ugly or somehow detract from the experience. They've stood up amazingly well over the years
    This is one of the few occassions where this is as good as it's going to get with regard to this series. Interplay, as you seem to be aware, are pretty much in the **** (and indeed have been for a considerable amount of time) and every project they're currently working on leverages their existing IP. As I said previously, if they release this remaster and it's succesful then hopefully it will lead to some sort of deal whereby we get another title which has similar mechanics to the likes of BG/ID/P:T, whether it's via Interplay or a third party. It would certainly make a nice change from the various "lite" RPGs we've had in the last while
    I think there's something very wishful about the idea that a BG remake would spark a revival in old-school RPGs. And something dangerous as well: BG was a great episode of PC history but we should be looking to move forward, not recreate the past, beloved title by beloved title

I think there's something mad about the notion that Interplay, of all companies, will take the lead in developing new content for such an RPG
    Missed that part, got a link?
    From Oster's twitter: We're using the latest code from BGII Thronw of Bhall as our base, so everything in BG II and ToB will be there + what we add

Basically they're doing what EasyTutu did but with some new art. And they're going to charge people money for this
    Magill wrote:
    I honestly don't know why people who aren't interested in the remake care that others are !
    I think I've been clear above. To summarise:

This is a complete rip off. It's a minor graphical facelift that replicates what the original plus a mod already does. This is particularly galling for those who already own the game but even new customers would be better off buying the original from GOG

It's symptomatic of this fetish with the past that has gripped the industry of late. Instead of generating original content, and pushing things forward, publishers are content to give much loved games graphical facelifts and then releasing for a quick buck. This is despite the originals being perfectly playable. It really speaks of a depressing lack of creativity and ambition in the industry

Neither of the above are good things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Gandalph wrote: »
    I personally thought Jan Irenicus was the best villain I have ever come across in a game, there was just something about him that was so cool and powerful. He put down cowled wizards like dominos!

Irenicus is one of gaming's biggest c*nts. I don't remember taking half as much joy in kerbstomping any other villain. Eventually. When you finally gain the upper hand against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

His name was Jon! Poor Jan getting lumpen in with him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think there's something very wishful about the idea that a BG remake would spark a revival in old-school RPGs. And something dangerous as well: BG was a great episode of PC history but we should be looking to move forward, not recreate the past, beloved title by beloved title

I think new RPGs are just unrewarding, I can't get into them in the same way as I can with a game like BG. Having a party of interesting characters to command and increasing stats in that format replete with an engaging storyline is engrossing. Dragonage was enjoyable for the same reason, I don't really care if it didn't use the same D&D rules or whatever, it had roughly the same idea. But games like Mass Effect or Skyrim, they're ok, but they don't engage me in the same way, I don't really care what happens in these games. Skyrim in particular, in many ways its not even an rpg, its just an exploration simulator with random hack n' slash missions. I don't think this is a case of reviving the past, instead its re-instating a genre which has been lost, its an alternative to newer forms of rpgs and there is everything good about having an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I think new RPGs are just unrewarding, I can't get into them in the same way as I can with a game like BG. Having a party of interesting characters to command and increasing stats in that format replete with an engaging storyline is engrossing. Dragonage was enjoyable for the same reason, I don't really care if it didn't use the same D&D rules or whatever, it had roughly the same idea. But games like Mass Effect or Skyrim, they're ok, but they don't engage me in the same way, I don't really care what happens in these games. Skyrim in particular, in many ways its not even an rpg, its just an exploration simulator with random hack n' slash missions. I don't think this is a case of reviving the past, instead its re-instating a genre which has been lost, its an alternative to newer forms of rpgs and there is everything good about having an alternative.

I would agree with Skyrim, it basically has no personalities in it, only cardboard cut outs, there is no character progression or building of relationships. However the same can not be said of Mass Effect, characters are central to the whole game, NPC's who start of cold and detached change and become close friends. Through the 3 games they go trough their own personal journeys revealing themselves bit by bit to the player as you progress. Without the characters and story, ME would be crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Reekwind you are obviously passionate about the series as evident in your posts and posting nature regarding this.

What I don't understand is your disdain for the remake? Yes EasyTuTu has done alot of what they are going for with this release but I fear you are missing the point completely.

BG is a series that has almost been forgotten at this point. We are going through a phase of HD remakes and remasters and while alot of these remakes are questionable I have absolutely no problem with Interplay serving up a remake of BG2 regardless of whether it is available for free or not.

It was a sad day when Black Isle and Interplay ran into issues as any hope of a continuation of the series went out the window. Now here they are coming back to us with the news they are trying to revive the series 12 years since the release of BG2 with a remake and all you can do is condemn them and constantly reference EasyTuTu and it's availability.

If you are this passionate about the game surely Interplay profiting from the sales of a remake and also gaining new fans who never got a chance to play them all those years ago is a good thing? If it sells well then the groundwork for BG3 is then laid and it increases the chance that a publisher will get on board and support the cause to continue the series further. Are you honestly against this?

I still have my original copy of BG2:SoA and i'm well aware of the availability of EasyTuTu but this remake will be a day one purchase for me. I am happy to support the cause as i'm sure are alot of others, even if you don't feel it necessary to do the same and are content with the use of EasyTuTu at least respect Interplays decision and the benefits it can bring instead of constantly bashing the idea simply because you don't agree with paying for the service yourself while being blind to the many positivies it will bring.

Also I would bet my life that the creators of EasyTuTu are in support of this remake as like the rest of us they are first and foremost fans of Interplay and the Baldurs Gate series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If a remake gets this fantastic series out to more people who missed it on release, then how can that be a bad thing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd be interested in getting this and giving it another lash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

sink wrote: »
    I would agree with Skyrim, it basically has no personalities in it, only cardboard cut outs, there is no character progression or building of relationships. However the same can not be said of Mass Effect, characters are central to the whole game, NPC's who start of cold and detached change and become close friends. Through the 3 games they go trough their own personal journeys revealing themselves bit by bit to the player as you progress. Without the characters and story, ME would be crap.

hm, yeah I guess my problem with ME is that I find the plot offensively bad, its just one big cliched space opera with the stereotypical enemy force threatening to destroy the galaxy. Add in all the layers and its just meh. I don't care about the plot so I care less for the plot complexities. The characters don't do it for me either. Also another thing are the cut scenes, whenever you try to initiate character dialogue they really put you out of the game world in a way, you become a viewer of the developers trying to show off their knowledge of cinematography rather than actually speaking directly to the characters. I think Skyrim has an advantage in this respect. Although there are certain aspects I like about the the game, Ill probably buy the new ME at some stage.

I think there's something mad about the notion that Interplay, of all companies, will take the lead in developing new content for such an RPG
    That's exactly what it is, wishful thinking. :)

As I said, there's not a hope in hell Interplay will finance another game in the vein of BG. What I, and it seems others are hoping, is that the game sells well enough that another publisher may attempt to buy the rights or even make their own D&D-based game.
    From Oster's twitter: We're using the latest code from BGII Thronw of Bhall as our base, so everything in BG II and ToB will be there + what we add

Basically they're doing what EasyTutu did but with some new art. And they're going to charge people money for this
    That I'm not so enthused about. I don't really want to play BG with the BG2 mechanics, I'd much prefer to play it as it was with a lick of paint. That being said, just because they're using the newer version of the engine doesn't necessarily mean they're using the same rule set. I guess we'll see closer to the release date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

That I'm not so enthused about. I don't really want to play BG with the BG2 mechanics, I'd much prefer to play it as it was with a lick of paint. That being said, just because they're using the newer version of the engine doesn't necessarily mean they're using the same rule set. I guess we'll see closer to the release date.
    If they are rolling it into one game, they'd kind of have to stick to the BG2 mechanics.

If they didn't, they'd have to cut out several classes, character kits, several races, high level spells etc. 'Magical' arrows in particular were completely broken in BG1 as they did a ridiculous amount of damage.

There were also a lot of quality of life stuff added to BG2, with things like increased stack size of arrows, bags of holding etc.

The one thing I am actually hoping for is for them to take a leaf out of some of the mods books, specifically things like SCS or Tactics in the way they bumped up the difficulty level.

Blowfish wrote: »
    If they are rolling it into one game, they'd kind of have to stick to the BG2 mechanics.

If they didn't, they'd have to cut out several classes, character kits, several races, high level spells etc. 'Magical' arrows in particular were completely broken in BG1 as they did a ridiculous amount of damage.

There were also a lot of quality of life stuff added to BG2, with things like increased stack size of arrows, bags of holding etc.

The one thing I am actually hoping for is for them to take a leaf out of some of the mods books, specifically things like SCS or Tactics in the way they bumped up the difficulty level.
    I wouldn't really mind personally, as I said I'd like to play the original game as it was with some nicer art where applicable. They have said they're also doing a BG2: EE so we could enjoy the benefits the sequel brought then.

Beamdog have promised weekly updates on the project for the next while so we'll see how it goes I guess.

Big Knox wrote: »
    If it sells well then the groundwork for BG3 is then laid and it increases the chance that a publisher will get on board and support the cause to continue the series further. Are you honestly against this?
    I do not want a simple remake of BG. Not a facelift and not a 'spiritual successor' that copies the same old mechanics/motions. As much as I love the series, and others around the period, I recognise that that vein of games has had its day. That doesn't mean that good story-driven complex RPGs are obsolete but that particular form is outdated. Which is entirely natural given the pace of PC technology

What I want is somebody to take the spirit of BG and do something new with it. Which we've had to varying degrees with the Troika/Obsidian games. BG was never defined by its camera angle or 2D backgrounds or ancient DnD rules alone - take the essence and innovate or use it to push things forward. Pining for what has been is not enough and is ultimately counter-productive

(If you do want that then there are plenty of niche developers producing the likes of Avernum, etc)

Which is what annoys me about this whole project: it is an entirely empty gesture that does nothing with the game. Nothing. Instead of producing a game worthy of being considered a BG successor, they have chosen to give it a lick of paint. That's depressing and it is nothing to celebrate

It's also a sign of the times. Far from this project inspiring a revival in isometric RPGs, any success it enjoys will only encourage the 'updating' of past classics. BG:EE is never going to spawn BG3, no more than LucasArts Monkey Island rehash has inspired a new generation of point and click adventures. What BG:EE will probably produce is BG2:EE, Planescape:EE, Fallout:EE, etc, etc. That is, not a revolution or new stage in RPG history but a cash-driven dig through history

That's not new, that's not worthy and that's not sustainable. It should not be enough for those who love RPGs and want to see BG-style games reclaim ground stolen by empty Elder Scroll action-adventures. But then I'd never trust Interplay with that. Nor do I have a huge amount of faith in an industry that increasingly prefers to pilfer the past rather than innovate. It's only a matter of time before we get Chuckie Egg:EE

And I object to that reactionary attitude. We deserve more than minor graphical updates of decade old games. We should be encouraging innovators, not vultures picking over the past

I do not want a simple remake of BG. Not a facelift and not a 'spiritual successor' that copies the same old mechanics/motions. As much as I love the series, and others around the period, I recognise that that vein of games has had its day. That doesn't mean that good story-driven complex RPGs are obsolete but that particular form is outdated. Which is entirely natural given the pace of PC technology
    What type of vein? If you strip away the "good story-driven complex RPG" then all you're left with is a pretty, isometric clicky game. Pretty sure Diablo III is going to prove that that genre is very much alive later this year. :)
    Which is what annoys me about this whole project: it is an entirely empty gesture that does nothing with the game. Nothing. Instead of producing a game worthy of being considered a BG successor, they have chosen to give it a lick of paint. That's depressing and it is nothing to celebrate
    Apart from highlighting this fantastic game and bringing it to (hopefully) a whole new audience? I think that's the very definition of something to celebrate when it comes to our favourite classics.
    It's also a sign of the times. Far from this project inspiring a revival in isometric RPGs, any success it enjoys will only encourage the 'updating' of past classics. BG:EE is never going to spawn BG3, no more than LucasArts Monkey Island rehash has inspired a new generation of point and click adventures. What BG:EE will probably produce is BG2:EE, Planescape:EE, Fallout:EE, etc, etc. That is, not a revolution or new stage in RPG history but a cash-driven dig through history
    And as with the above, I'd welcome those releases with open arms. When faced with no viable alternative given the position of the company holding the IP and the apparent lack of interest (from a publisher standpoint) in classic RPGs, I can't understand why one could be against such a move. At the very worst we'll get a remaster of a classic game, released on multiple distribution services which will reach a wide new audience and at the very best said said release shows there is in fact a market for it and encourages some publisher to fund a larger budget follow up. What's not the like?
    And I object to that reactionary attitude. We deserve more than minor graphical updates of decade old games. We should be encouraging innovators, not vultures picking over the past
    Despite all of the above, I generally do agree with this, the only problem is, in this circumstance, it's just not going to happen. Interplay simply don't have the reserves to commission a new AAA game in the style of BG. Hell, the mere fact that Beamdog are both developing and publishing this game should show that they've obviously reached some sort of royalty sharing agreement with Interplay to make this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I started playing BG2 again last year was seriously one of my favourite games like fallout 1 & 2. But let's face it right Bioware is dead its some souless production robot now with the skin of its former self draped over it.

If they remake make this it'l no doubt be some fps with rpg elements ! I can guarente it wont have cool thing's like the part where i got the option to say to some guy in a inn "hay whats that over there /snap his neck" good times.

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I started playing BG2 again last year was seriously one of my favourite games like fallout 1 & 2. But let's face it right Bioware is dead its some souless production robot now with the skin of its former self draped over it.
    Apart from, you know, Mass Effect 1-3 and Dragon Age I. Outside of that, yea totally. Of course since Bioware have absolutely nothing to do with any of this remastering or remake talk, it's entirely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Apart from, you know, Mass Effect 1-3 and Dragon Age I. Outside of that, yea totally. Of course since Bioware have absolutely nothing to do with any of this remastering or remake talk, it's entirely irrelevant.

ow really well this is what happens you glance over things and dont actually read them oops. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm pretty happy about this. When the original games came out I was too young to take them on tbh, I haven't played them since and an updated version would be fairly welcome. Will definitely buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

danthefan wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy about this. When the original games came out I was too young to take them on tbh, I haven't played them since and an updated version would be fairly welcome. Will definitely buy.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've been travelling and played through Icewind Dale 1 and 2 on my netbook. I don't think the GFX need updating :) Crisping up a bit sure but they can throw nwn style 3d bollix out the window.

What type of vein? If you strip away the "good story-driven complex RPG" then all you're left with is a pretty, isometric clicky game. Pretty sure Diablo III is going to prove that that genre is very much alive later this year. :)
    2D isometric roleplaying games. And no, I wouldn't include Diablo in the latter category
    Apart from highlighting this fantastic game and bringing it to (hopefully) a whole new audience? I think that's the very definition of something to celebrate when it comes to our favourite classics.
    No. I'm not going to celebrate charging people money to buy a reskin. If you want to highlight BG then re-release the originals, run a promotion, do other stuff that you're supposed to have a marketing department for. Don't spend a game budget updating some 2D textures that adds next to nothing to the gameplay

Of course from Interplay's perspective the latter is far more desirable: they can sell this to the original fans as well. And there is no excuse for selling someone the same game twice. On both sides: would you really buy the entire Black Isle back-catalogue just for a minor graphical upgrade? I think that's just strange when the originals are still perfectly playable

(This would of course not be the case if the originals were not playable. As it is it's akin to remaking Casablanca scene-by-scene in colour)

And the reality is that no major publisher is ever going to make a BG clone again. We can hope and expect good RPGs (the genre is far from dead) but nothing that would resemble BG. If you want to get the next generation hooked on quality storytelling and sharp writing then point them at Bloodlines or Alpha Protocol rather than a ruleset that even D&D heads consider outdated
    At the very worst we'll get a remaster of a classic game, released on multiple distribution services which will reach a wide new audience and at the very best said said release shows there is in fact a market for it and encourages some publisher to fund a larger budget follow up. What's not the like?
    How about an industry obsessed with repackaging the past instead of producing new content? Would you like it if Valve gave up on Episode 3 (assuming it exists) in favour of a HD version of the original HL? This obsession with the past is, as I've said before, fundamentally reactionary and to the detriment of innovation in gaming

And it's catching. We've had Jagged Alliance and Monkey Island. Now we're getting BG and X-COM. That's not even mentioning the likes of Syndicate. This is an industry in which Interplay - a decrepit shell of a company that hasn't thought of making original games for a decade - has a role. It can now look forward to existing by cashing in on a back catalogue of games developed by others. That should not be a feature of this industry, not if it still prides itself on innovation

(Innovation, remember that? Remember when games would get slammed in reviews for being 'more of the same' and not doing enough to move on from their predecessors? I never really understood that attitude until now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How about an industry obsessed with repackaging the past instead of producing new content? Would you like it if Valve gave up on Episode 3 (assuming it exists) in favour of a HD version of the original HL? This obsession with the past is, as I've said before, fundamentally reactionary and to the detriment of innovation in gaming
    Why can't there be space in the industry for both? Just take a look at the film industry, remakes have been made for years, yet it doesn't stop people creating new stuff too.

Why can't there be space in the industry for both? Just take a look at the film industry, remakes have been made for years, yet it doesn't stop people creating new stuff too.

Exactly, its a typical overreaction from some people (Well one person !)... there are more new games coming out these days than ever before, i honestly have a backlog of about 10-15 games waiting to be played from last year alone.. most of which are 9/10 or better rated games !

We could discuss the relative weight of remakes in Hollywood and the degree to which remakes have stifled innovation but let's not dedicate any more to the millions of words that have already been spent on that topic. Largely because, while I don't necessary like it, I can appreciate the merits of a Hollywood remake

Very few directors ever set out to recreate a film scene by scene. A remake/re-imaging typically demands some new creative input. Often the original is just a launch pad for an entirely new story. A Fistful of Dollars is no poorer for being 'inspired' by Yojimbo, the recent True Grit remake is far superior to the original. And so on. That's fine

In contrast, this BG:EE will simply rehash the original with enhanced graphics. Not even 3D, just a a slightly sharper definition. It will then be sold on the basis of the achievements of a decade ago. There is zero creativity involved. I could cope with a simple 'brand theft' and I'd be happier (relatively) with a genuine remake that rebuilt the game from the ground up but this... it's a disgrace

And it's symptomatic of wider malaise in the industry. Interplay are an extreme example, thankfully, but innovation is pretty clearly not as valued as it once was. Where's the differences between the COD/MW games? Compare to Q2 and Q3 a decade ago. For the guy who has a backlog of 15-20 games to be played: how many of those are sequels or knock-offs? If they're AAA titles, ie not developed by indies, then it's likely that most are

Ultimately that playing-safe and fetishisation of the past is why large publishers don't make games in the same spirit as BG any more. We need another Bioware to come in and shake up the genre, to do something new. That however is not going to happen so long as people are shunning innovation by buying remakes of decades old games
    Magill wrote:
    ...most of which are 9/10 or better rated games !
    That describes quite a lot of games released in the last year. 9/10 is about the standard (with 8/10 being a minimum and anything lower a damning critique) for AAA titles these days

• Advertisement

That describes quite a lot of games released in the last year. 9/10 is about the standard (with 8/10 being a minimum and anything lower a damning critique) for AAA titles these days

I honestly don't get what your whinging about, besides skipping over my point entirely. These are some of the games in my "backlog".

Batman:AC
    Skyrim
    Skyward Sword
    Uncharted 3
    The Witcher 2
    Bioshock 2
    Dead Space 1 + 2
    Mass Effect

And then theres a whole **** load of others that i'll probably never get round to buying.

The Old Republic
    Rage
    Killzone 3
    Totalwar:Shogun 2
    Infamous 2
    Rayman Orgins
    Resistence 3
    Bastion
    Bulletstorm
    Crysis 2
    AC:Revelations
    etc

Not to mention the games i did play and finish...

Deus Ex
    Dark Souls
    Portal 2
    Gears of war 3
    LA Noire
    Minecraft (Well.. im finished with it anyway:P)
    Terraria
    Dead Island
    From Dust
    Civ5

So yeah... stop acting like this remake (Of which is often described as the best RPG ever made) is awful for the video game industry because us "fools" can clearly see that its not !

Advertisement