Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make offer to buy house from Bank

Options
  • 29-02-2012 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I have being looking at a house,on first viewing EA tells me it has being repossesed from previous owner who owned several houses in the area.
    House was first put on maket 6 months ago at 165K, two months ago it was reduced to 120K, EA obviously wants to sell it since the reduce in price and telling me it is now owned by a bank.
    Bank want to sell to due to asking price, just wondering what do you think would be a good place to start with an offer, EA also said no offer has being made in the 6 months.

I was going to start at 90- 95K, but my Dad tells me to start at 70 -75K and chance my arm.
    Is their anything negative that could happen by starting too low, EA not take me seriously...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pawnacide

James_87 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was going to start at 90- 95K, but my Dad tells me to start at 70 -75K and chance my arm.
    Is their anything negative that could happen by starting too low, EA not take me seriously...

Absolutely nothing negative could happen, you might disappoint the agent a bit but that's about all. Dealing with banks is not the same as individuals, they're a heartless edifice. Just bear in mind this property is one of hundreds and will have been discussed at various meetings and somewhere there is a piece of paper with a figure on it that they probably won't go below .. without having another meeting.

What bank is it ? .. I ask coz the English banks are quicker to make decisions. Sub prime banks aint so good to deal with and Irish banks are a nightmare (not in terms of price but in terms of time to make decisions). We went from a time when nobody was watching anything to every decision being signed of at 100 different levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 James_87

Not sure which bank it is,
    EA did say it could take three weeks to hear back if an offer is accepted...
    Its not going to hurt the bank if i go in at a low offer, Banks are probably more likly to stick to their asking price than private sellers I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 wetdufflecoats

Not sure which bank it is,
    EA did say it could take three weeks to hear back if an offer is accepted...
    Its not going to hurt the bank if i go in at a low offer, Banks are probably more likly to stick to their asking price than private sellers I guess...

Hope theres no panic on you moving in?Took from last October to a few weeks ago for me to get sale agreed on a similar property in Galway.

wetdufflecoats, Did you buy from a Bank, how much less than asking did you offer, did you have to pay close to asking price...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 wetdufflecoats

wetdufflecoats, Did you buy from a Bank, how much less than asking did you offer, did you have to pay close to asking price...

Its being bought from UB....contracts still to be signed as there are problems still outstanding with maps etc. The property was on the market for 137k and has now gone sale agreed for 110k....! originally offered 105k but this was rejected.

• Advertisement

You got it for 80% of asking then, I would be happy with that.
    But I think I will start low and see what happens, if its a different bank AIB or BOI their threshold may be lower, or higher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Worse that can happen is wait a couple of weeks for the bank to decide to reject your offer, place another offer, wait etc.

I bought from a UK bank who accepted a very low ball offer. So I say take your dad's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I had experience with repossed properties and if I will buy house in future. Will walk away from repossed properties no matter how good it looks.

Now keep in mind that you will be giving offers to some office bank worker, not some owner who wants to sell it. That worker has to sell that house and get that money. He does not give a **** of that house will sit on the market for years, it's not his property.

I had given offers and was refused even 1k eu off the price. In the other property estate agent himself was making bank to drop price so I could buy it, they even sent out one more evaluator before even considering what estate agent is saying them.

You have more luck droping price in private sale then bank. Anyway, best of luck, maybe you will get more luck then I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

James - we bought a repossessed property from the bank -my experience is that there is some room for negotiation, so I would go in with a low enough offer and see what the response is. Be realistic though - presumably the bank will be losing a lot on the house, so the amount they will be willing to drop will not be any where near as much as on a private sale. We ended up with an 8% drop on the initial asking price.

PM me if you want any more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Hi,

I have being looking at a house,on first viewing EA tells me it has being repossesed from previous owner who owned several houses in the area.
    House was first put on maket 6 months ago at 165K, two months ago it was reduced to 120K, EA obviously wants to sell it since the reduce in price and telling me it is now owned by a bank.
    Bank want to sell to due to asking price, just wondering what do you think would be a good place to start with an offer, EA also said no offer has being made in the 6 months.

Do not be afraid to go in low and stay low. With prices dropping, more emigration,austerity,interest rate increases and property taxes to come, I would play hard ball. The bank knows it will be worth less in 6 or 12 months than it is now. I know of one new semi-detached 3 bedroom house sold by a bank for €55,000, after the developer went bust. Just because the house may have sold for €210,000 five years ago means nothing now.
    If properties are left empty windows can get broken, they deteriorate and banks do not want the hassle of maintaining them in a declining market.
    Bid low and do not worry if you do not get that house, there will be a lot more houses at probably better value. In other markets after property crashes the banks sooner or later have to start offloading their repossessed properties ...with something like 1 in 7 mortgages in arrears that has not really started to happen in a sizeable way yet, but happen it will, and it will cause prices to tumble more. I'll bet that in a year or 2 you'll be glad you saved 25% of the price at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Be realistic though - presumably the bank will be losing a lot on the house,

They know they will lose more if it remains empty / unsold, so that is why they are doing quiet deals in parts of the country now for €55,000 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Seriously get a book on Negotiating. Do your professional work first. So many people dont get proper advice like Priory Hall. That was neither structurally sound and was built by people with a dodgy history.

If you think the house is worth 80k to day then Offer 60k. If they accept then wonder what they would have taken!!! Dont appear eager and remember they need to sell it before you need to buy it!

In this case it looks like the bank want to get rid of it, on market for 6 months with no offers, they then reduced price by 45k, I think I will get it for less than 100k, I would pay this, if I was buying privately I would offer 95k, just think in this case the bank want to sell, maybe if I play hardball I will get it for less...
    Have a second viewing tomorrow night with ea,
    Should I mention an offer to ea tomorrow or wait a couple of days....

`Do nothing of the sort. The housing market still has a long way to fall. Dont "Put in an offer", That would seem too keen. It doesnt matter what his offer is he can always do better. If he thinks he can close a deal he will do what he can to close it.

I had given offers and was refused even 1k eu off the price. In the other property estate agent himself was making bank to drop price so I could buy it, they even sent out one more evaluator before even considering what estate agent is saying them.

This is because they must achieve the price agreed with the valuing agent (may not be the same as the selling agent btw, though often is) as it is currently sitting on the banks balance sheet as being worth the valuation and much discussion and agreement is required to change that figure.

As I said before this process takes time, a lot of it but some banks are better than others.

Have a second viewing tomorrow night with ea,
    Should I mention an offer to ea tomorrow or wait a couple of days....

You'll be doing enough waiting, get the ball rolling whatever ur offer is.

`Do nothing of the sort. The housing market still has a long way to fall. Dont "Put in an offer", That would seem too keen. It doesnt matter what his offer is he can always do better. If he thinks he can close a deal he will do what he can to close it.

Seem too keen to who, the bank? you? the dog pissing against the bank wall?.
    A decision will be made on his offer by someone who will never meet him, probably never even know his name and who certainly won't care when he made the offer.

Sry about the multi replies.

pawnacide wrote: »
    Seem too keen to who, the bank? you?
    What I meant was The banks have 900 houses they have repossessed. They have a terrible mess on their hands.

Dont be the first to mention a figure. let them make the first move when numbers are concerned. If the agent wants to close early with "my bottom offer" there is still a bit more give there. If you put in an initial offer and it is straight way accepted, what number do you think he might have settled with after a bit of haggling?

All I am saying is dont be too quick to settle. there is a lot of play let in the market and house prices and other property (with the exception of agricultural land) have a long way to fall before we get back to a competitive state.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Seriously get a book on Negotiating. Do your professional work first. So many people dont get proper advice like Priory Hall. That was neither structurally sound and was built by people with a dodgy history.

If you think the house is worth 80k to day then Offer 60k. If they accept then wonder what they would have taken!!! Dont appear eager and remember they need to sell it before you need to buy it!

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately I left mine at home, I am in College. Either try your local library or College Library. The ones I read are simple like rule books and with tangible examples. I am heading to college today and I'll repost a few titles for you.

I know this sounds like crazy idea but Get the deeds check out by your solicitor AND get an Engineers report done. You dont know what you are buying until they have seen it. subsidance, mould, wills not made, poor foundations, unqualified carpenters putting on roofs ....... the list goes on and on.

I am going to PM you finer details about Priory Hall. Good luck and never concede anything without getting something in return first. Remember He needs to sell it more than you need to buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

What I meant was The banks have 900 houses they have repossessed. They have a terrible mess on their hands.

Dont be the first to mention a figure. let them make the first move when numbers are concerned. If the agent wants to close early with "my bottom offer" there is still a bit more give there. If you put in an initial offer and it is straight way accepted, what number do you think he might have settled with after a bit of haggling?

All I am saying is dont be too quick to settle. there is a lot of play let in the market and house prices and other property (with the exception of agricultural land) have a long way to fall before we get back to a competitive state.

Ludicrous advice! I think you are overplaying your hand after reading "negotiation 101" there. The old chestnut about not being the first to mention a figure is applicable in some situations -i.e. salary negotiation, but here it is quite clear the seller has already mentioned a figure - the asking price! That puts the ball in the buyers court - make an offer.

With regards to the other advice, the asking price in isolation is meaningless, the asking price compared to the original price is also meaningless. It may have been way overpriced originally.. or well priced.

What you have to ask is are they priced to sell? If they are already priced very keenly you are unlikely to secure a further large discount and should not feel you have a right to get one just because its a repossession.

jackal wrote: »
    It may have been way overpriced originally.. or well priced.

What you have to ask is are they priced to sell? If they are already priced very keenly you are unlikely to secure a further large discount and should not feel you have a right to get one just because its a repossession.

Jackal, you are coming from a similar point of view to myself...
    The house is probably worth 100-120k, but no offers since the house reduced two months ago to 120K.
    Value/worth is what someone is willing to pay for something, if no one wants to pay 120k its no worth 120k.

I dont feel I have a right to get a large discount because its a repossession, but why not? We should always try to get the largest discount we can, Im not made of money and will be taking out a mortgage to purchase the house from the BANK...

Trying for the largest discount I can is a good thing, but does not mean I will get any..

Ritchi wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Negotiable-Gavin-Kennedy/dp/0091530709/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330619788&sr=1-4

This is what I am reading at the minute. Its been reprinted several times

I dont feel I have a right to get a large discount because its a repossession, but why not? We should always try to get the largest discount we can, Im not made of money and will be taking out a mortgage to purchase the house from the BANK...

Trying for the largest discount I can is a good thing, but does not mean I will get any..

Look its a dog eat dog world out there. Banks have no hesitation about throwing people out on their ear on Friday and renting back to them on Monday. Look at the market. this country is overstock with vacant property and most of it in the area demanded. Banks want to get property off the books. If you have cash and want to buy all very well.

Me? I think the market has a long way to fall yet. I would hold onto my money for another 12-18 months to see what happens

hang onto your cash the market is due to fall another 10-15% next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

best place to find these properties is by speaking directly with bank????

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Yeah I'd be interested in knowing, can I walk into a bank and ask them for a list of repossessed properties they have for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yoga nation

Hi, Ive seen a 4 bed detached house in a ghost estate (70% of the estate is finished) and the house I like is 1 of 8 that are all unfinished, closed off to the rest of the estate, no pavements, lighting etc and have been lying up there for the last 6 years. I want to put in an offer of €30,000 to the bank as Ive just heard they took them over last week from the property developer. Its the AIB and they are going through an EA to sell them. Would I contact the AIB directly or give my offer to the EA? I know the EA obviously wants to make commission and im worried they may not even pass my offer on. What angle would we take on this? Is €30,000 a ridiculous offer? Its a cash offer, first time buyer and means they dont need to finish that particular property to a builders standard. Any advice appreiciated! Thanks a million!

• Advertisement

It depends ......
    where is the location, is it near a hospital,college university etc?
    If it is in Ballygobackwards 20 miles from industry or the city leave it alone.
    if it doesnt work out can your resell it?
    How much more work needs to be done?
    Is there pyrite?
    Have you got an experienced builder/engineer in?

Yes I think its a ridiculous offer but not as much as the banks and builders left the country is in. Whats the worst that can happen they say no? Tell them good luck with selling the rest of the properties. An introduction from someone in the bank would be a good idea to get to meet the right people. Its not just you cutting out the estate agent its the bank as well.

I wish you well and and you have nothing to lose but dont pursue this past the point of reason. If you are feeling you wont get a job in the area or cant complete it within budget then let it go. I believe the market has hit rock bottom right now. I dont believe it will rise for a good few years but it definitely wont sink any lower.

Advertisement