Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FÁS training course ratings

• 29-02-2012 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

There really should be a website for this. To rate the course, and the trainer. I always see threads pop up with people asking about the various courses, especially with the rate of unemployment these days.

But the thing is that every person I know who's done one has slated it and yet you still here the government going on and on about how it's needed etc and then when the shít hits the fan, they go and re-brand again in an attempt to cover up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

Fás :confused:

i did one of them courses eons ago and its safe to say they are courses for college dropouts and useless fookwits thank god i only was on the dole once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

i did one of them courses eons ago and its safe to say they are courses for college dropouts and useless fookwits thank god i only was on the dole once!

So, which one are you?

:pac:

chin_grin wrote: »
    So, which one are you?

:pac:

Im on the Board now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Or anybody who wants to upskill themselves without the expense and time of 3rd level education...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Seachmall wrote: »
    Or anybody who wants to upskill themselves without the expense and time of 3rd level education...

Well that's what they're supposed to do, but do they actually do that? I've never heard a good review.

• Advertisement

yeah, ya never heard of a library obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Interviewer: "So, how did you occupy your time when you were unemployed?"
    Interviewee: "Eh, just went to the library for shelter mainly, picked up a few Twilight books to use as bog roll......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Do libraries provide recognised certificates that aid in getting employment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do libraries provide recognised certificates that aid in getting employment?
    Does Fas? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's a perception that nobody wants to do Fas courses, that they are made to do them. Which means that employers consider them about as relevant as your trip to Lanzarote when considering you for a position. And people know this, so they think they are useless, so they don't want to do them, knowing they are useless for getting work and are reluctant and uninterested, even if they are actually genuinely looking to upskill. So that usually means that the only people who do Fás courses are people who are forced to be there, meaning that no matter how good the course is, the teaching is **** because no one gives a f*** and doesn't want to be there. Vicious circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I've done 2 FAS courses and received 2 very good qualifications out of the place. A City&Guilds in 2D/3D Computer Aided Design and a Level 6 Fetac in IT, with my CompTIA A+ and Network+ certificates also.

I am now working in a full-time IT role with the qualifications I've received, so I am very grateful for the opportunities that have arisen as a result of FAS. Then again what would I know, being a useless fookwit and all.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FAS courses can be good.

I'm currently doing the ladies soccer course in Clondalkin.
    I will be getting both ITEC and FETAC gym instruction certificates, I have done my KickStart 1 coaching badge, I'll be doing the KickStart 2 and I've got my occupational first aid. All of this is paid for.
    You can get points to go on to do 3rd level education.
    Numerous girls down through the years have got scholarships to play and study in America.
    I get to play football under the Ireland Women's U-17 manager so I'm being coached by one of the best.

And I get paid to do it.

What is there not to like? Oh, and you also get some class umbro gear to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

To become a qualified plumber, electrician, etc you have to complete all phases of FAS training.

All FAS courses are taught by qualified tutors. So what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A good few years ago i was unemployed and wasnt getting the dole. My days consisted of wake up, watch tv in bed all day, go asleep. I had no money to do anything. My income was the occasional hand out from mumsy when she felt sorry for me. Id never ask for money as having a roof over my head was enough for me. I cut myself off from the world, had the light from the windows blocked out, never seen or talked to my friends and would only get food from the kitchen when my family went out or went to bed. I was literately mental, had zero self worth, no confidence and no future. I was in a massive rut for about 7 months. I remember going to a jobsfair with my CV in arm. I stood outside and didnt even have the courage or confidence to go in. I just went home. This was all from somebody who used to be extremely popular, very outgoing and didnt think twice about going out and doing something.

One day I plucked up the courage to go the FAS office to ask if they can get me on a course. I seen all the Georgia Salpa ads and was intrigued ;). I was absolutely ****ting myself. I wasnt interacting with people at all for about 7 months let alone having to be interviewed about what i want to do with myself. They were greatly kind and generous in the FAS office. They got me onto a computing course that would start a month later. For the 1st time in about a year i had something to look forward to. The course itself helped me greatly. It didnt just help me become very competent with computers, it saved me from madness. The opportunity of having something to do every day was the most important leg up ive ever had in my life. It returned my personality to its former self. Im still friends with people on the course 5 years later. The people that i still keep in contact with have decent jobs now. I got a decent job after it but was let go. When i was let go, after what had happened the last time, i was well equipped and schooled into not letting myself go back to the dark days.

I am entirely grateful for what FAS did for me. They dont even know what sort of mess i was in before i did that course. They just gave some bloke that walked in off the street a chance to do something. Im sure what happened with me is mirrored many times over. If FAS told me they couldnt help me that day i plucked up the courage to go to that office, who knows what would have happened to me. It roughly 6 years after i went down to that office. I am a completely different person to what i was that day. I returned to the person i was before i had that period of madness all because of that 6 month FAS course.

TL;DR Version: Georgia Salpa's tits saved my life

Advertisement