Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

practical philosophy course in the grandville....

Options
  • 29-02-2012 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Im sure you've all seen the ad for this course on the front of the local papers, down the bottom of the first page, usualy around december its advertised.
    This ad reads 'Practical Philosophy : Those seeking an understanding of our existence and the world in which we live are invited to attend a course in practical philosophy which shows that there is an underlying unity to everything and that this holds the key to a happy fullfilling and peaceful life'.
    has anybody here attended any of these courses? id be delighted to hear your reactions to this course......
    is there much of an awareness in the city about this course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

hmmmmmm, and they don't fully divulge the secrets of the universe? what a rip-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sounds like some new age hippy hocus pocus.
    If they offer you a drink and somewhere to lie down .......RUN !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I understand from a friend who did the course in Dublin that it's very Eastern philosophy based and quite directional.

It would be quite different to the very good Waterford Philosophical Society who meet on Mondays and focus on the history of Philosopy and Philosophical issue/questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

old gregg wrote: »
    I understand from a friend who did the course in Dublin that it's very Eastern philosophy based and quite directional.

It would be quite different to the very good Waterford Philosophical Society who meet on Mondays and focus on the history of Philosopy and Philosophical issue/questions.

i.e. self-help courses versus real philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Nypd wrote: »
    Sounds like some new age hippy hocus pocus.
    If they offer you a drink and somewhere to lie down .......RUN !!!

So thats where they go in the night time :)

When you are finished the course, you can cross over to the tents (only between the hours of 8am and 6pm) and have a philosophical debate about whether the word occupy, means 24 hours a day, about the use of soap and getting a haircut. Also you could discuss the excessive use of aran jumpers in social protests ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Philosophy? Y'all picked the wrong place 4 that, boy...

rate_my_mulletashx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

So thats where they go in the night time :)

When you are finished the course, you can cross over to the tents (only between the hours of 8am and 6pm) and have a philosophical debate about whether the word occupy, means 24 hours a day, about the use of soap and getting a haircut. Also you could discuss the excessive use of aran jumpers in social protests ;)

thats lovely ya feel better about yerself now after postin that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Im sure you've all seen the ad for this course on the front of the local papers, down the bottom of the first page, usualy around december its advertised.
    This ad reads 'Practical Philosophy : Those seeking an understanding of our existence and the world in which we live are invited to attend a course in practical philosophy which shows that there is an underlying unity to everything and that this holds the key to a happy fullfilling and peaceful life'.
    has anybody here attended any of these courses? id be delighted to hear your reactions to this course......
    is there much of an awareness in the city about this course?

From second-hand accounts I gather the course is not a grounding in the study of 'philosophy', but more like a life-coaching session. If you're interested in studying philosophy as an academic discipline you might be better off with an introductory open university course, or checking out some of the academic earth lecture series'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

efla wrote: »
    From second-hand accounts I gather the course is not a grounding in the study of 'philosophy', but more like a life-coaching session. If you're interested in studying philosophy as an academic discipline you might be better off with an introductory open university course, or checking out some of the academic earth lecture series'?

Cheaper to attend a few nights of the Waterford Philosophical Society on Monday nights at 7.30pm in the Cheshire homes. Very little self-help or angels though. :)

merlante wrote: »
    Cheaper to attend a few nights of the Waterford Philosophical Society on Monday nights at 7.30pm in the Cheshire homes. Very little self-help or angels though. :)

It is a true thing that you say. I attended a few Society meetings while studying Philosophy via Oscail and found them to be every bit as productive as college tutorials.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »

Where are the Cheshire homes?

efla wrote: »
    Where are the Cheshire homes?

John's Hill, before St. Patrick's on the left.

Sounds good, think I'll head up for the next session

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

thats lovely ya feel better about yerself now after postin that?

Yes, yes I do, I feel totally unpolitically correct ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fairygodmother2

well, as far as i know that society is the same crowd just by a different name. has anyone been to their courses? would love to know what the practical parenting is like......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

well, as far as i know that society is the same crowd just by a different name. has anyone been to their courses? would love to know what the practical parenting is like......

The Waterford Philosophical Society is utterly distinct from the group you originally mentioned.

Advertisement