Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas bill query.. pretty big increase

Options
  • 29-02-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, this may be nothing but my previous gas bill was considerably higher than other bills I have received. It came in at €177.72

Now, it was for over the winter months but winter wasn't that cold this year so I wouldn't have thought the hike would be so large.

Here are my 4 previous bill details:

13-Jul-2011 bill EUR 52.85
    08-Sep-2011 bill EUR 43.54
    08-Nov-2011 bill EUR 69.03
    11-Jan-2012 bill EUR 177.72

I know you can't give out exacts but does this coincide with other peoples bills? It's over twice the amount of my second highest bill.

Is it possible that it's so high because you are still taking into account for last year and that a reading just hasn't been taken?

Any info would be great. I know this is over a month ago, but I just never thought to check it until now.

If it's normal, that's fine. I just want to make sure there are no problems with my system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

i got my bill too a few weeks ago and it was crazy(357 Eur)

have you checked how many days it covers as mine was for 77 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi folks,

This could be due to an under-estimation of a previous bill being made up for in a subsequent one.

The best thing to do would be to send me account details by private message - and then I can investigate. It is difficult to gauge any general trend as there are so many variables (property size, number of units used, number of people, etc).

What I would require by private message is:

The account number, your full name, the address/phone number/date of the birth on the account, and confirmation that you are the named account-holder.

Regards :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Thanks for the response Una. I have sent on the details there.
    have you checked how many days it covers as mine was for 77 days

Yeah, it's for 63 days which is a slightly longer period than normal. Not so much longer to make that kind of difference though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Tiny bills you guys have...

We're in a 4 bed house in Dublin...are pretty conservative with use of gas, cooker is electric too, we're out all day so heat is off...

Just got a Gas bill today €320 :eek:

last one was €520 :eek:

what is going on ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Zipppy,

Do you have gas with Electric Ireland? If not, you could get up to a 14% discount. This depends of course what package with are currently on with your own provider.

If this happens to be ourselves, please feel free to PM me your details if you would like me to look into these bills in more detail.
    Zippy wrote:
    Just got a Gas bill today €320

last one was €520

If you don't have the heat on while you're out it's hard to imagine how that sort of usage could accumulate. Do you have the thermostat at a high setting when you do turn it on?
    And do you know if any of the readings have been estimated?

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement

Hi Zipppy,

Do you have gas with Electric Ireland? If not, you could get up to a 14% discount. This depends of course what package with are currently on with your own provider.

If this happens to be ourselves, please feel free to PM me your details if you would like me to look into these bills in more detail.

If you don't have the heat on while you're out it's hard to imagine how that sort of usage could accumulate. Do you have the thermostat at a high setting when you do turn it on?
    And do you know if any of the readings have been estimated?

Thanks,

David.

Hi david

rented house and no thermostat in house ,,either on or off :(

However we have heat set to come on and off in evening / weekend..

we're out all day, often away weekends, and are very careful about usage...

520 was our first proper bill in house as previous was very small and was estimated (we moved in during that bill period).. so we assumed it was a catch up on estimate etc etc...but now 320 today with us being conservative is madness

Hi Zipppy,

It might be worth making inquiries with your landlord about getting the boiler serviced. As the efficiency of boilers deteriorates with use, regular boiler maintenance will keep your boiler operating safely and efficiently. Servicing your boiler will remove any soot build-up and will re-establish the best working conditions.

A regularly serviced boiler can save you up to €150 a year on your heating bills.

We're offering a reduced price at the moment on gas boiler servicing - see here for info. If you would like me to have a look at your account, as I said above, you are welcome to send me a private message.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

Hi Zipppy,

It might be worth making inquiries with your landlord about getting the boiler serviced. As the efficiency of boilers deteriorates with use, regular boiler maintenance will keep your boiler operating safely and efficiently. Servicing your boiler will remove any soot build-up and will re-establish the best working conditions.

A regularly serviced boiler can save you up to €150 a year on your heating bills.

We're offering a reduced price at the moment on gas boiler servicing - see here for info. If you would like me to have a look at your account, as I said above, you are welcome to send me a private message.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

Thank you David,

It appears boiler was serviced last Oct so that's not the issue..

Just have to further reduce usage I suppose...

Regards
    Sean

Zipppy wrote:
    Just have to further reduce usage I suppose...

I guess that's what it boils down to. (No pun intended) :o

Using the timer is a good idea, as you are already doing, but be sure to only use the heating when it is needed. The weather is quite changeable at the moment, and while there's certainly a chill some evenings, it is mostly quite mild.

Other general tips would be - try to keep doors closed, and check to see if heat may be escaping through windows in particular. Turn off radiators that you don't tend to use. Also, you might find the information at the following link useful:

1 kWh of Gas - What Will It Get Me?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement