Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double payment taken by bank

• 29-02-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with my credit card company and appreciate some advice.

Basically I've a credit card with MBNA and a direct debit set up to pay €300 each month, I've had this in place since I got the card roughly four years ago. Near the end of last year I was pretty sick and missed a lot of work, as I couldn't afford to pay the DD I cancelled it. When things improved I got in touch with MBNA in Janruary of this year, explained the situation and reinstated the DD.
    That would have been about the 20th Jan. the guy on the phone said that it wouldn't be set up in time for this month or next (Jan & Feb), so he could set up post dated payments on my visa debit card which comes straight out of my current account, I agreed to this as I didn't want to miss any other payments. I assumed then the DD would come out at the end of March.

Roll on to last week, a payment came out of my bank account on the 23rd, I din't get paid until the 25th and didn't have the money in my account so immediately called MBNA to say it may be returned and if it was I would call in in the 25th to make a payment over they phone, they said fine and mentioned that the account was still in arrears as I had missed a few payments at the end of last year.
    I called them then yesterday morning to require about a loan to clear my balance and then reduce my limit, they said them don't do loans any more. The lady I spoke to said the way I was going my account would be fine in one or two months again and was actually quite nice about everything.
    I then checked the balance on my current account this morning to see how much I had and MBNA had taken €300 out yesterday again! So I called them this morning about it and was told that it was a direct I had set up in Janruary. I told them that a payment had come out last week already, I had contacted them about that payment and was never informed that another payment would happen this week, my agreement in any previous conversations had always been to pay €300 per month. They said well you authorised the card payment for last week too.
    This went around in circles with me explaining that I'd authorised the card payment because I was told that the DD would not be set up in time. When I asked them to transfer the cash back they refused because my account is in arrears. I also asked to speak to a manager and was told one would call me back in forty eight hours and despite my insistence they refused to put one on the phone.

Normally, I'd say meh, and just do the double payment but I'm short enough I'd cash this month so can't really afford it.

Now, I'll admit I authorised the payment to be debited from my card but only on the basis that the DD would not be in place in time.

Any suggestions on what to do?
    I've already contacted my own bank, they girl I spoke to was pretty sound about it but explained they can't do anything about it as I did authorise the payment back in Jan.

Advertisement