Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

carlcon wrote: »
    Holy flashback, Batman. I completely forgot about those! Relatively speaking, it wasn't that long ago when they existed, was it? I think I remember one as recent as 6/7 years ago.

Then once a week (or month?), they'd print the top 10 players if I remember correctly.

Man, I appreciate the ease of the internet more than ever now. :D

I remember doing a Today FM/Irish Examiner one for a couple of years, would have been about 10 years ago now though I reckon. IIRC you started the season with 11 players and just maybe 20 transfers, but player prices didn't change. I finished top 10 one year but it died out once the FPL game took off.

On the FPL game, I don't expect any drastic changes to the scoring structure for next season, and the main changes I'd like to see are to other aspects of the game:

1. Sort out the issues with the site crashing during busy periods. GW1 last year was a joke, and I know people had difficulties logging on during a midweek GW at some stage too.
    2. Revert to the previous format of showing more information on the fixtures tab.. i.e. team line-ups, minutes played, points scored, etc.
    3. Regardless of bonus system used, have them available in a timely fashion. This is probably unlikely as the site is probably getting loads of hits on a Monday morning with the current format.
    4. An enhanced live scoring system; surely it wouldn't be too difficult to update tables, H2H match ups etc. as matches are in play?
    6. Adding in a feature to allow groups to create their own cup competitions, running for however many weeks they like; so a group of say, 16 players could have a Fantasy Cup every six weeks.

Anyway, feels weird not having a transfer to mull over on a Friday night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The big thing about the euros is that there is another way for players to score points for defensive duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Dempsey wrote: »
    The big thing about the euros is that there is another way for players to score points for defensive duties.

I find it interesting that they let you play with only 2 defenders in this one. If they did that in FPL, 2-5-3 would be the formation every single week. But with this, it's like they're daring us to go for it because of the addition of defensive points.

I haven't really thought about it before, but I'll be trying to watch a few friendlies to see if these defensive points suit central defenders or defensive midfielders the most. Defenders will intercept a lot of aerial balls, but there'll be a lot of loose passing to be picked up in midfield.

Also, you'd have to consider the likes of Spain, who will dominate possession. Their pricey defenders look less impressive now, because you'll be relying on them to score/assist/CS only, since the opposition won't have much of the ball to give away in the first place.

Personally, the defensive points are the only reason I have any interest in this one. If it was the same rules as FPL, I'd probably not bother.

swoody wrote: »
    just seen JTs (6.5) value above....^^
    overvalued by FPL or undervalued by UCL and Euro2012....i'm thinking the former! but could be a real gem in the euros.......

You have to take into account that he started the season in one of the best teams in the competition, and had only about 3 defenders from 2 or 3 clubs competing with him (Vidic, Kompany, Verm, and that's pretty much it).

Whereas in Euro2012, England won't be rated highly at all (outside England), and there's probably about a dozen defenders rated higher than him, which makes him less precious a commodity, and therefore a cheaper player.

So I wouldn't say he was over or under rated in either... just different scenarios making his worthiness change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

is there a euro fantasy footie thread lads? can't seem to find it if there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

darego wrote: »
    is there a euro fantasy footie thread lads? can't seem to find it if there is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581234

Either sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet, or someone managed to miss 4 threads in the top 6 threads on this forum, including 2 stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

woke up few mins before i made the post with a thumping headache and a hangover. didn't even look at the stickies haha :D only seen the " Fantasy Euro 2012(Auction)" thread

cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Would anyone like to guess what price Kagawa will be in the game next year? Hopefully he won't be too expensive. I'll see how he is going in the pre-season and might get him in then. Fantastic signing. Could nab a lot of goals and assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Would anyone like to guess what price Kagawa will be in the game next year? Hopefully he won't be too expensive. I'll see how he is going in the pre-season and might get him in then. Fantastic signing. Could nab a lot of goals and assists.
    I'd guess 10m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

With fixtures out today, this is where the groundwork starts for the "pro" fantasy football player!!!

Will start to have a look in the next couple of weeks and build some sort of picture strategy, mind you i got a bit burned by Wigan past two years relying on their soft fixtures at the start so will avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

Has anybody thought of avoiding Silva for a while? He looked very tired towards the end of last season and the big scores he was getting suffered because of it, plus he played a lot of football for Spain during the Euros. I was thinking of holding off on Silva for a few weeks to see how he gets on because i dont think he will get of to the flyer he did last season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Not with citys fixtures. Little fcuker will get off to a flyer but be owned by 75%+ of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

aguero, suarez and torres will be my starting frontline!!! i dont think suarez and torres will be too expensive and just hope aguero isnt a crazy price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

redzerdrog wrote: »
    aguero, suarez and torres will be my starting frontline!!! i dont think suarez and torres will be too expensive and just hope aguero isnt a crazy price!

Just had a serious dose of deja vu. Heard this quite a bit at the start of last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Anyone know when the site will be back up and running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Anyone know what lineup man city and newcastle went with in todays friendlies which they both lost to nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Formation wrote: »
    Anyone know what lineup man city and newcastle went with in todays friendlies which they both lost to nil.

Newcastle's was a complete second string anyway. Someone posted it on FFS. Don't know about City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Man City starting XI vs. Al-Hilal: Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Kompany, Rekik, Biton, Yaya, Lopes, Johnson, Tevez, Scapuzzi.

Not sure what changes they made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just had a serious dose of deja vu. Heard this quite a bit at the start of last year...

Suarez I don't care about any more but Torres might be one to keep an eye out for. He had a great European championship (when he got a game). If he continues with that form through the limited pre-season that he'll have then he might be worth a shot.

He has almost no competition for the main strikers role in the team. Sturridge and that Lukaku kid are the only lads there. Unless Chelsea go mad and sign someone like The Hulk then Torres is 99% guaranteed to start imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any ideas when he gae will be available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

slingerz wrote: »
    Any ideas when he gae will be available?

Nope, but they've been drip-feeding us player prices and the website is under maintenance so it should be back up soon enough.

Hopefully sometime during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

first stab at a team

Federici Green
    Gorkss Fabio Cahill Clichy Jenkinson
    Silva Dempsey Nolan Taarabt Maloney
    Aguero Rooney Sharp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Paid league and the Boards league are being touted in the Soccer forum. What's all that about? Is it going to end up separate to the Fantasy Sports Arena?

Paid league and the Boards league are being touted in the Soccer forum. What's all that about? Is it going to end up separate to the Fantasy Sports Arena?

When two tribes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Team done,roll on next month:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

manual_man wrote: »
    When two tribes...

Down with that sort of thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Quick Q.

Yay or nay to knockout rounds in the Boards FSA H2H league?

manual_man wrote: »
    When two tribes...

Down with that sort of thing.

i'd prefer if everything was in the one place. but some people don't want anything outside of the soccer forum... each to their own

looking forward to it all getting started all the same :)

• Advertisement

-Ade- wrote: »
    Quick Q.

Yay or nay to knockout rounds in the Boards FSA H2H league?

Maybe just start a Cup in January?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement