Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 4?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Some screenshots here apparently...

http://kotaku.com/5889217/are-these-doom-4-screenshots/

I didn't think Quake 4 was as good as it should have been, and with Rage (in my opinion) being in a similar category, there might not be much hope for this.

Plus; those pictures don't scream "Doom" to me in any way!
    (Maybe it's a new IP?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Unless it's some sort of Doom II: Hell On Earth type scenario, there's a distinct lack of sci-fi about it. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Doom? But there's a distinct lack of corridors in those screens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well have to wait and see if it has any heavy metal before we can say if its good or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Looks more Half-Lifey to me. But obviously it's not H-L3...or is it?:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Honestly? Meh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I guess people here obviously never played Doom 2....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Well, they're not screenshots for a start, they seem to be early concepts cobbled together from photo elements etc. Like a more elaborate mood board. For internal use only obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Read the link, says it all really

"are these doom 4 screenshots ?"

So , NO. They are concepts, if even that
    It seems they were inadvertently spilled by the portfolio of artist Thao Le, a senior environmental artist at id Software (and since taken down).

Will there be a DOOM 4, totally different question...why not...it's a popular IP.

I guess people here obviously never played Doom 2....

it was what? 20 years ago? since then the nly good game they made was quake, quake, 2 quake 3 and that was 15 years ago. yeah, they were grand dads in FPS genre, but in modern world they havent sparkled much.

* now lets wait for ID fanboys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he was talking about the art, not how good the game will be

• Advertisement

he was talking about the art, not how good the game will be

My apologies then.

Why the Doom 3 hate? I enjoyed it at the time and when I went back to it a few months ago for the Revisited mod, it felt like a breath of fresh air after the waves of modern shooters of late.

As for the images, they're not concepts, they're very much in-game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

ID have never produced any particularly good games, as far as I'm concerned. They've made some real pretty graphics engines, but it was always up to other developers who knew more about story and such to make decent games out of them.

So while I'm not particularly interested in a Doom 4, I'd be very interested in what someone like Bioware or Rockstar could do with the engine.

Sarky wrote: »
    ID have never produced any particularly good games, as far as I'm concerned. They've made some real pretty graphics engines, but it was always up to other developers who knew more about story and such to make decent games out of them.

So while I'm not particularly interested in a Doom 4, I'd be very interested in what someone like Bioware or Rockstar could do with the engine.

did anyone used their ID tech 5 engine from RAGE so far?

did anyone used their ID tech 5 engine from RAGE so far?
    Nope, after the aquisition by Zenimax the engine is only being used by internal studios.

gizmo wrote: »
    Why the Doom 3 hate? I enjoyed it at the time and when I went back to it a few months ago for the Revisited mod, it felt like a breath of fresh air after the waves of modern shooters of late.

i played it and finished it, but finished it only, because i wanted to get over it and put it in to the back of my gaming collection.
    at some point i started walking backwords in to new areas as 90% of times there would be portal or some door opening behind with a deman for cheap scare and cheap go at your hit points.

it was scary in some parts, but i would not call it a good game. it was good looking for that time, but nothing more. With latest rage, they did not even pulled off the "good looking" part. the only part of the game that was really fun - lost city mutant part, other then that it was really meh.
    ID is really over rated as modern game developer, but this is just opinion, so no need to go mad about it! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I also thought Doom 3 was enjoyable. I think most people were disapointed because the previous games were literally a revelation in the genre. Doom 3 just followed the formula, and very solidly imo.

Still play it now and again, some very good mods out there to extend its life

it was what? 20 years ago? since then the nly good game they made was quake, quake, 2 quake 3 and that was 15 years ago. yeah, they were grand dads in FPS genre, but in modern world they havent sparkled much.

* now lets wait for ID fanboys.

What has that got to do with anything? I was saying it's Earth based and open looking, just as Doom 2 was... I was expecting it to go there

What has that got to do with anything? I was saying it's Earth based and open looking, just as Doom 2 was... I was expecting it to go there

it was said above and i did gave my apologise, because i miss understood.

Just saw that now

• Advertisement

Lol no. No they're not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Don't think so. Also we've seen nothing of the new Rage stuff Carmack promised when he was wheeled out to promote that abomination.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Lol no. No they're not.
    Lol yes, they are.

There's two there that could go either way, mainly due to possible paint overs, but the rest are blatantly in-engine.

EDIT: There's some more screenshots here of various character models in various states of completion.

Lol no. No they're not.
    Lol yes, they are.

There's two there that could go either way, mainly due to possible paint overs, but the rest are blatantly in-engine.

No. Take it from someone that actually works on and off in the industry. Those are very early and loose concepts. Not a pixel in those environment concepts is from an engine screen grab.

Also I've heard the game is effectively stalled/cancelled. iD let a bunch of guys go last month too. Rage didn't perform as expected.

No. Take it from someone that actually works on and off in the industry. Those are very early and loose concepts. Not a pixel in those environment concepts is from an engine screen grab.

Also I've heard the game is effectively stalled/cancelled. iD let a bunch of guys go last month too. Rage didn't perform as expected.
    I have no desire to get into a pissing match but I will say this. If you think this is a concept shot then I think it's safe to assume you're not a concept artist when you are in the industry.

I have no desire to get into a pissing match but I will say this. If you think this is a concept shot then I think it's safe to assume you're not a concept artist when you are in the industry.

I'm not a concept artist no (animator) but I would spend most of my time looking at game art and those are loose mood boards at best.

They look in-engine to me too, for what it's worth. With maybe the odd fire/smoke as paint over like you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Not to change the subject or anything; but that's kind of ugly for an upcoming 2012 blockbuster game from id!

Not to change the subject or anything; but that's kind of ugly for an upcoming 2012 blockbuster game from id!
    Well in fairness, they're most certainly early screenshots one way or another. I obviously disagree with Andy!! on where they're coming from but from a (graphics) programming perspective, there's enough visible artifacts and general inconsistencies in lighting and effects that it screams early in-game WIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Personnally I say ID should do the cross over everyone wants and give us:

Doom vs Castle Wolfenstein.

With the upcoming Iron Sky movie about space nazis it's clear people like the idea.

Hell the name writes itself PLANET WOLFENSTEIN

Demonic nazis from mars and BJ blastowitz has to go there and kill them and the demons!

Advertisement