Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 4?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Hell the name writes itself PLANET WOLFENSTEIN

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1317708806

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Also it most definitely probably maybe has been ****-canned. Word was it was put on hold when Rage flopped so they could step back and look at what they did wrong, but with that huge character art dump leaking, it reeks of the game being cancelled, and a very pissed ex-employee. It's a frequent enough occurance when games get cancelled. That GRIN Final Fantasy game springs to mind.

(One or two of those shots do look like in-game shots actually. That really grey one with the crates in the background. But that's about it from what I can see) All the characters are just at the ZBrush stage, no low-poly versions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

To be fair, that artwork is ****e. Id almost prefer if it was cancelled, its jsut not doom. Looks like Rage 1.5.

Doom 4 needs to be a blend of cutting edge sci-fi stuff with scary as **** demonic elements, and none of those screens seem to be either.
    Went back to have a muckabout with Doom 3 today. I still love that game, the hell sections are so ****ing creepy. Thank god for modding, makes it look like a brand new game :D

doom32012-03-0114-28-lcjq7.png

doom32012-03-0112-19-ezk8e.png

doom32012-03-0113-28-wazxy.png

doom32012-03-0112-19-1dlmk.png

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Em thanks for the wall of screens there (great for people who have never seen Doom 3 :D) but you do that was kind of a new look for Doom? The whole 'Hell on Earth' theme and visual style is straight out of Doom II, so maybe they were going back to their roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Duggy747 wrote: »
    1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1317708806

is that just for the name alone?

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    is that just for the name alone?

Well, for the name and the idea of a Nazi Doom game.

Imps with swastika arm bands shouting "Heil!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Andy!! wrote: »
    No. Take it from someone that actually works on and off in the industry. Those are very early and loose concepts. Not a pixel in those environment concepts is from an engine screen grab.

Also I've heard the game is effectively stalled/cancelled. iD let a bunch of guys go last month too. Rage didn't perform as expected.

Take it from someone who actually works in the industry all the time - those are screenshots. Mipmap transitions, low tessellation, bloom, colour banding, specular aliasing, inconsistent depth-based fog... I could go on.

Id's megatexture tech tends to give things a painterly quality (at least it did in Rage), which might be what's confusing you. That and the obviously painted skybox textures. Actual concept art tends to have a very different look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't get why anyone would be hating on ID games, rage was a bit of a flop (I haven't played it so can't really judge the game). But other than that, most of their games have been solid.. granted they don't make very many but yeah.. i thought doom 3 was pretty good at the time... shat myself a few times indeed.

I would have prefered a new quake (From ID themselves !) but i guess quakelive is suppose to be our quake fix for a few years yet.

Hopefully its not cancelled like someone said. Dooms a huge IP, it'll do well no matter what.. well.. unless it's awful.

ID Software know how to make shotgun feel goooood. I liked Rage and found it quite enjoyable though the ending was one of the worst I'd seen in years.

Like Doom 3, it wasn't groundbreaking but I enjoyed the time I had with them both.

I'd say Doom 4 is still in development, albeit they probably took a step back to review things after Rage didn't perform as well as they hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought Rage was OK but that was the problem - I expected much more from ID than just OK. It felt like a poor mans linear Fallout 3, in a sense, and I found the combat generally unsatisfactory. Definitely not a bad game, and at the price it retails at now, there are far, far worse ways to spend your cash, but everyone just expected more. It also has dreadful textures issues, despite looking very nice for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I expected about a third more from it TBH and an actual ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I thought Rage was OK but that was the problem - I expected much more from ID than just OK. It felt like a poor mans linear Fallout 3, in a sense, and I found the combat generally unsatisfactory. Definitely not a bad game, and at the price it retails at now, there are far, far worse ways to spend your cash, but everyone just expected more. It also has dreadful textures issues, despite looking very nice for the most part.

Yeah.. i wouldn't normally say this, but its one game that definately suffered because of consoles. ID really pushed their 60FPS on console ****e before release, so that was always going to be bad news for PC owners since they clearly spent too much time trying to optimise it for those platforms. I'll defo buy it next time its cheap on steam tho, give it a bash over the summer maybe.

Advertisement