Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Mobile to launch MVNO in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

who opened the flood gates?

wish somebody would actually build a new network! as expensive as that may be

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Fungus wrote: »
    Big news ...

New MVNO - Sky to launch MVNO in Ireland

http://www.prepaidmvno.com/2012/02/28/new-irish-mvno-brewing-sky-mobile-is-seeking-an-m-d/

It looks like a late 2012 launch.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but its not 'Sky' its just a company called Sky Mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

First line in the linked article:
    Sky Mobile is not part of bskyb or any other News Corporation company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sorry, thread title edited for clarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hmm, I can't see BSkyB being very happy about the use of the word Sky in the name of a telecommunications business in what they consider one of their home markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Solair wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't see BSkyB being very happy about the use of the word Sky in the name of a telecommunications business in what they consider one of their home markets.

Agree. Would get confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's like eircom branding the stores they funded 3G, completely confused everyone when 3 launched. Then they tried to sell 3G to 3. Wonder will Sky Mobile try and sell to Sky.
    There'll be a court battle yet I bet.

BSkyB have a track record in this regard, they took legal action against Skype!!!?!?!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/skype_sky_trademark/

On the basis that the first three letters looked too much like Sky's logo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Solair wrote: »
    BSkyB have a track record in this regard, they took legal action against Skype!!!?!?!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/11/skype_sky_trademark/

On the basis that the first three letters looked too much like Sky's logo!

And lost, obviously:D. Seriously, though, expect the legal eagles to be lining up for a battle. Can't see $ky letting this one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

I know they can argue branding but they cannot claim monopoly over the use of the name, surely

• Advertisement

They could if they felt another company was piggy backing on their trademark.

Sky are a MAJOR operator here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

vicM wrote: »
    who opened the flood gates?
    These guys

Advertisement