Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Underemployment Rates

Options
  • 29-02-2012 2:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For those of you currently residing in the United States, I was wondering if employment conditions were beginning to improve? Unemployment seems to be declining, but are those employed realizing their full employment potential, or are they taking jobs below their qualifications; i.e., underemployment?

This US chart (Orange County Register/Gallup) for the 2011 year suggests that the country has been experiencing underemployment by different rates per state.

Gallup-California-underemployment.jpg

To what extent is your part of the country experiencing underemployment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

North West Arkansas: lots of underemployment (especially if it comes with health insurance). Also, people who want to work full-time taking part-time jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I believe where I reside in NH, has one of the lowest rates of unemployment. I believe it was less than 6% when I last came across it in local papers. I know as an Engineer the market is very strong and I get several calls a month asking me to interview (but I am gainfully employed.). This is a contrast to lay offs in the area 2-3 years ago, when times seemed to be tougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Saw somewhere recently where it was 5.1% in NH

Advertisement