Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2012

Options
  • 29-02-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Professor Green, Mike Skinner, Jack Beats, Saw Doctors, Alex Metric, Dr Lektroluv, Royseven, The Original Rude Boys, Kanyu Tree, Mmoths, Daft Funk, Bitches with Wolves.

Not a bad line-up imho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That youtube video is pretty cool. Daft Funk and Royseven would be worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Good job by Darcy, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

People are complaining already, they're never ****ing happy. Muppets.

Why do some people have such unrealistic expectations about this ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The line up is irrelevant for the vast majority people at the freaking thing because they'll collectively be too fúcked to hear anything anyway.

The UCD ball is fun, the lineup really isn't important.

Also the reason people complain about the line-up being "better" in past years is for the main part, because the bands playing then were popular closer to the time in your life when you where most influenced by the music you listen too. i.e. 15-18ish

When new bands, who lets face it, are on a par in the charts at the moment pop up, we don't care as much about them.

Basically we're all angry old fogies.

That's my 5cents of pop psychology.

Apologize for incoherence, I may have been drinking.

• Advertisement

Have any of the artists topped the album charts? Genuine questions, I just can't remember them having done so.

Professor Green has had at least one number 1 single, and his album reached number 2

gradlife wrote: »
    Professor Green has had at least one number 1 single, and his album reached number 2

Is that in the Éire? I mean I've heard of him, of course, but I really did not know he was a chart topper. There you go now!

That would be the uk charts.

gradlife wrote: »
    That would be the uk charts.

Ah, I was thinking. It would have been nice if they had looked to the silly old Fenian charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Does anyone know do you have to be a UCD student or past student to get the tickets? Or can anyone go on campus and buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Fad wrote: »
    The line up is irrelevant for the vast majority people at the freaking thing because they'll collectively be too fúcked to hear anything anyway.

The UCD ball is fun, the lineup really isn't important.

That's true. If we're talking purely money wise though it's a solid line up for the money you're paying unlike last year. Obviously that's not a core part of UCD Ball but I think he can hold his head up as regards value when you have all the abuse you get on facebook ect.

Also, hard not to after the fiasco last year, but very well handled PR wise with the video, announcement and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Yeowch. Literally only 1 actual proper "band".

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeowch. Literally only 1 actual proper "band".

Which of the numerous bands on that list is the proper "band"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

From that line up I have only heard of the Saw Doctors, and I'm afraid to say I don't know any of their songs that well.

It'll be my 5th time going and I still can't wait :)

Which of the numerous bands on that list is the proper "band"?

The 'Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The 'Doctors.

lol wut

They play music themselves with musical instruments, which wasn't written for the sole purpose of being popular and has actual meaning, and it's not just background noise with a drum beat for people to dance to when they're in the horrors = an actual "band".

They play music themselves with musical instruments, which wasn't written for the sole purpose of being popular and has actual meaning, and it's not just background noise with a drum beat for people to dance to when they're in the horrors = an actual "band".

Woof

I held the same belief when I was 16..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I held the same belief when I was 16..

I'd say you've been practicing that answer since you were 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Saw Professor Green in Ibiza, he wasn't great. He has about 4 songs. Also bear in mind he's playing the Trinity Ball on the same day, so he'll play UCD first i.e. early in the day and then probably hit up Trinity.

Decent enough line up though all told. Personally would prefer more DJ and electro acts. Saw Doctors I feel are out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Woof

And the Cow goes "Moo"

And the Cow goes "Moo"

Yeah, but Richardson doesn't so, in the words of Noel Gallagher, "put a roach in it!"

its_phil wrote: »
    I'd say you've been practicing that answer since you were 16.

.. look for jobs online.. wha??

Irish Universities disregard to Irish bands is generally appalling, in particular UCD. The only Irish band there is Royseven and Saw Doctors ( everyone knows them and they don't count.) I'll give them Royseven, but they should make more of an effort of promoting more Irish bands, the scene is vibrant at the moment.

Should also be more of a variance on acts and a general newcomers tent to promote new music.

Edit: Sorry, I'll give them Orginal Rudeboys and Kanyu tree as welll ( thought they were a Keane cover band *shudders*)
    But I still re-inforce my point, acts I would of liked... Fight Like Apes ( would of been much better than Saw Doctors and good for a festival) Tieranniesaur, Jape, Spies, DELORENTOS.. these woud be more established than the above while still being accesible.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

The line up is vaguely better than previous years but I think I'll still be splashing out the extra €30 quid or so and hitting the Trinity Ball. There was no way UCD was every going to be able to compete with their line up.

Stasya_x wrote: »
    The line up is vaguely better than previous years but I think I'll still be splashing out the extra €30 quid or so and hitting the Trinity Ball. There was no way UCD was every going to be able to compete with their line up.

I actually think the Trinity Ball isn't as good as UCD one this year, does not offer value for money... I'd rather go buy a Forbidden Fruit ticket for 2 days than see their proposed line-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

D'arcy promised The Coronas in his election video last year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wYFpedw7AA

Advertisement