Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

• 29-02-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here hopeful that it won't close?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Is it supposed to be closing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

branie wrote: »
    Anyone here hopeful that it won't close?

I can't imagine anyone (especially here in the Clare forum) is hoping for it to close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

OP Probably referring to this ...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0229/shannon.html
    A Consultants report on the future of Shannon Airport has said that separation from the Dublin Airport Authority offers better growth prospects for its future.
    The report by international consultants Booz, commissioned by Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has said that Shannon faces a significant threat to its future viability under the current ownership arrangement.
    Shannon Airport has lost 2m passengers since 2007.
    The airport had debts last year of around €8m and is understood to have a long standing debt of €100m.
    Minister Leo Varadkar warned business and community leaders in Shannon last month that the status quo was not working for Shannon, and that change was needed.
    The consultant's report has said that a move to a local concession model to include the local county councils in Clare and Limerick and possibly Shannon Development and other commercial interests would offer the greatest opportunities for developing business.
    It also recommends that it examine new sources of revenue, including exploiting its 2,000 acre land bank around the airport, more emphasis on cargo including using its US pre clearance facility for cargo.
    The report also looked at Cork airport, but said that it was performing well under DAA ownership and that it enjoyed a healthier financial position.
    Minister Varakar has said that Shannon will be the first of the state airports to have certaintly about its future and he will make a recommendation to Cabinet on the best option for the future viability of Shannon by Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Finally. The DAA have been killing Shannon purposely for years. Maybe it's not too late to turn it around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Finally, some positive noises.
    To me it says the current management is not working and things will have to change if Shannon is to survive.
    Good on the one hand, but exasperating to read something even my dog has known for years.
    How much time and money was spent on this report?
    This is part of the reason the country is in the state it's in, nothing is done about the bloody obvious until a report, taking years and costing millions, is compiled.
    That report is then usually ignored for 10 years and a new one has to be done.
    I'm sorry to be ranting about this, but it drives me up a bloody tree!
    We should just turn the running of the country over to a bunch of monkeys, dogs and six year old, they would do a better job of it.:mad::mad::mad:

Anyways (deep breath), hopefully this will steer the airport into the right direction and signal the beginning of a bright, new future for the county, after all, we have nature, a lovely capital of the county, the sea, an airport, a major rail link, a motorway and an industrial estate. The materials for success are all there (I lived in an area of Bavaria in Germany that doesn't have the infrastructure that is here and they're successful), so let's make a go of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I think the American tourist market should be tapped into in a greater way. If I was a tourist where would I prefer to land if heading to the land of the auld sod etc.... Certainly not Dublin anyway. Land in Shannon....Kerry, cork, the burren.... Etc only a short drive away. Tourist heaven

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The other thing about the States it that it's now as easy for someone from the East coast of the US to get to Ireland as it is to get to the West coast of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

My wifes elderly aunt lives in Boston. When she comes home once every two years she prefers to fly aer lingus. However when she goes to book her flight home to Shannon without fail every time, the travel agent will push Dublin airport at her. She insists every time that she wants to land at Shannon. I think its fair to say if aer lingus had their way Shannon would not be on their itinerary. Pity really. I think discover Ireland, bord failte or whatever its called now also have a lot to answer for too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

nothing is done about the bloody obvious until a report, taking years and costing millions, is compiled.
    That report is then usually ignored for 10 years and a new one has to be done.

I agree completely, with this addition:
    The report will then be cherry-picked to suit some muppets personal and politically driven ideas of how it should be done, thereby making the entire report and recommendations useless. Look at the childrens hospital ballsup.

I was thinking about this yesterday and one thing sprung to mind:
    Most airports around the world also have attractive business meeting facilities nearby (on campus) for hosting overnighters going to meetings in the area, and for hosting meetings themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but SNN has only one small and aging hotel on the campus, right? I'm willing to bet it's broadband and other business facilities are in the dark ages too, not to mention lack of strategic marketing.

While I acknowledge the serious over-capacity of hotel rooms in the region, isn't it odd there aren't better hotel and meeting facilities on the SNN campus itself? Oh but of course, DUB is a far better place for such a thing as nothing happens outside the M50...

I think that's something to look into as just one part of and overall strategy making our airport more attractive as a business destination in itself, not just as a gateway. The adjacent golf club would be an excellent partner to a new hotel. As I said, maybe there are facilities I'm unaware of and I'm open to correction.

I'm also willing to bet the locals (Clare & Limerick generally) could come up with some practical ways to promote business at SNN, not only flight related.

g

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

godfrey wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but SNN has only one small and aging hotel on the campus, right? I'm willing to bet it's broadband and other business facilities are in the dark ages too, .........

As I said, maybe there are facilities I'm unaware of and I'm open to correction.

Yes you correct that there is only 1 hotel on the airport campus, but they do have excellent IT facilities, as does the airport itself, in fact it's free wifi was the first airport that I ever visited that had free wifi. The hotel (Park Inn) is a lovely hotel, great food and does rent out rooms for meetings, I've been to countless meetings there. I believe the Hotel Management college also makes rooms available for people looking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Cabinet discussed Shannon being split from the DAA yesterday. Announcement later today by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

It would be a great day for Shannon, as long as the suggested collection of county and city officials are NOT involved in a new administration. What Shannon needs is business people to get it off it's knees.

Here's hoping :)

g

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

facebook....

"Joe Carey T.D.

Major Government announcement on the future of Shannon Airport will be made this morning. Will upload details to my site in a while.!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Finally some good news for Shannon Airport :)
    Shannon Airport to be separated from Dublin Airport Authority under new plans

By Independent.ie reporters

Wednesday May 09 2012

SHANNON Airport is to be separated from the Dublin Airport Authority, the Government confirmed today.

But Cork Airport will remain under Dublin management, according to the plans.

It is understood that the Cabinet yesterday gave the green light to the plans following recommendations by consultants.

The loss-making airport is saddled with an estimated €100m in debt.

Traffic at the airport has halved in the past few years to about 1.6 million people annually.

Ryanair has lobbied hard in the past to have the DAA broken up and privatised.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/shannon-airport-to-be-separated-from-dublin-airport-authority-under-new-plans-3103451.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, it's a good start, let's just hope that after being run by a bunch of clowns (I'm being extremely polite here, what I want to call them cannot even be expressed in any language) it is not handed straight to another bunch of local clowns.
    Whoever runs it, his first duty should be picking up that phone to Michael O'Leary.
    About the debt:
    The DAA should be made pay that, it was under their management that traffic at the airport collapsed and in fact they should have to give Shannon another few million.
    Any other country the running of Shannon Airport would attract the attention of the competition authority and the fraud squad, the way it was run can only have been for the purpose of money laundering. Otherwise, who runs a business deliberately into the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Govt to separate Shannon Airport from DAA.....

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Shannon and Mid-West?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0509/ministers-to-announce-new-plans-for-shannon-region.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well something had to be done - hopefully Shannon hasn't been left fester so long tht its now beyond redemtption.

- As for the DAA running Shannon, what a nonsensical concept - most Dubs think Shannon is a popular girls name on US TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

It seems a good thing, ever since the DAA took over Shannon there is a massive decrease in Passengers there. Slowly but surely theyre policies messed with tourist numbers. Fair enough we had the American soldiers on their way to Vietnam I mean Iraq, but once they calmed down the true figures for Shannon came out while Cork Airport got a massive investment Shannon and the mid-west region was discriminated against by the powers to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

tippman1 wrote: »
    Govt to separate Shannon Airport from DAA.....

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Shannon and Mid-West?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0509/ministers-to-announce-new-plans-for-shannon-region.html

Should have been done years ago, but didnt match what certain vested interests wanted imo

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

I think the DAA are keeping the €100 million debt on their books, according to RTE;

Minister Varadkar said Shannon Airport will not have to carry the €100m debt into the new entity.
    The debt will remain with the Dublin Airport Authority because the debt would not affect the DAA's credit rating and because the DAA would benefit from no longer carrying the cost of subsidising Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Now hand it over to Michael O'Leary to run it as a hub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Govt to separate Shannon Airport from DAA

Updated: 14:48, Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar said it is a significant step in developing the aviation sector in Ireland and securing the future of Shannon Airport.
    He said: ''It heralds a new era for the Shannon region. I firmly believe that this is the best way forward for both Shannon Airport, Shannon Development and the mid-west region. ''We want to recapture the pioneering spirit of the people who gave us the airport and the Shannon Free Zone concept, so that we can provide exciting and innovative opportunities which benefit business, tourism, and job creation in the region, and across the country.''

Minister for Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation Richard Bruton said the announcement represents a new start for jobs and enterprise in the Shannon region.
    ''In developing our proposals, we were always focused on delivering the best possible outcomes for enterprise development and job creation in the region.
    ''By combining, into a new entity, a strong, independent Shannon airport authority with the extensive property holdings, expertise and experience of Shannon Development, we can focus the State's resources on developing a strong aviation industry in the area.''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Glad to hear this.

For too long Shannon was forced to charge the same landing and passenger charges as Dublin. Any potential new routes were routinely put past DAA, who decided on what was best from the Dublin Airport point-of-view, in particular since T2 opened.

Another instance that readily comes to mind was Aer Lingus: SNN-Paris. Despite pleading for an early departure time for the daily service, DAA insisted that Aer Lingus not fly out until some time like 4:00 or so in the afternoon, which meant business travellers either getting to Paris for work or to connect onwards from CDG would use Dublin, and for leisure travel, the same aplied with Dublin or Cork both offering pre-noon departures. Any wonder it was culled.

Plenty more examples out there, I'm sure, where SNN was compromised to facilitate the politicking that went on with DAA in charge. Now with the shackles off let's hope for some dynamic management over the coming years.

And while I'd like to see O'Leary back up his promise that lower charges would see him increase capacity, the new management shouldn't allow Shannon to become a one airline airport either. If competition is (now) good for the airports, then the same rule should apply to those using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Whoever runs it, his first duty should be picking up that phone to Michael O'Leary.

That is the last person they should phone. Ryanair are like a vampire that will suck the life out of an airport. Try quality instead of quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is very good news, and I think Shannon Development are probably the best organisation to take over the airport.

Congratulations to the cabinet, this looks like it has been a very good decision for balanced regional development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Delphi91 wrote: »

That's what happened it last time. Shannon needs a decent portfolio of airlines (10+ to get it off its knees) flying to a decent portfolio of destination airports (read: not Ryanair sheds 3 hours from the stated destination)

Ryanair can form part of the mix, but the immediate target should be anything west of the Meridian and east of Hawaii. Sell it as "just 2 hours from Dublin" :D

A risk has to be taken on that airport that will either see it work or end up as a cargo hub, no bad thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Palmach wrote: »
    That is the last person they should phone. Ryanair are like a vampire that will suck the life out of an airport. Try quality instead of quantity.
    Really?

http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/3876-ryanair-growth-forces-airport-to-erect-marquee-as-terminal.html

here is just a random recent one I pulled from google and theres plenty more where that came from

Bergamo, Hahn, Prestwick, Charleroi are just some of the Airports that have been transformed by Ryanair.

Care to list any airports that have had the life sucked out of them by ryanair?
    Great to see Shannon debt free but there are probably serious structural costs still in place, Shannon is probably not the most efficiently run airport in Europe.
    I'd rather have ryanair passengers than no passengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sell it as slap bang "easy access" to the West of Ireland, Cliffs of Moher etc...
    Hopefully it will have a ripple effect on the area, and present job opportunities that would otherwise have to be taken up in Dublin. Hopefully it will also benefit Ennis and Limerick, which with the motorway are even easier to get to from the airport these days.
    Galway too will be quite easy to get to from here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would be a bit concerned as to where the €100m+ debt that the airport has actually goes tbh, and I would also have concerns for the pensions of many of those who used to work in the airport. I know that many of the retired folk have seen their work pensions from the airport cut quite a bit each year for the last few years, and these were not big pensions to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Delphi91 wrote: »

That's probably the last thing that required to secure it's future, while Ryanair and O'Leary have a great company, they are not in for the success of any other business bar their own. He'd help make the airport very successful but would pull the plug at the drop of a hat as he has done in Shannon & elsewhere.

Give him slots by all means but that's it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement