Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

glineli wrote: »
    I work in the West for a US company. Anytime we need to travel to the US, travel agent and aer lingus will always give us options of flights from Dublin. People from the US operation coming to visit us are always put through Dublin on their first trip. Only when we ask them did they fly to Shannon are they surprised to learn about Shannon.

IMO, Aer Lingus will try to push as much US traffic through Dublin.
    IMO, Aer Lingus is only one of five airlines flying between Ireland and the USA, four of which offer services to and from Shannon.

That's a simple fact, which rather undermines your O. As I recall reading somewhere, the Shannon stopover was a fact. Planes were actually forced to use Shannon when they didn't want to. There isn't, and couldn't be, a Dublin stopover, as Aer Lingus don't have a monopoly.

Unless you're suggesting every travel agent in the USA is part of some DAA conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

IMO, Aer Lingus is only one of five airlines flying between Ireland and the USA, four of which offer services to and from Shannon.

That's a simple fact, which rather undermines your O. As I recall reading somewhere, the Shannon stopover was a fact. Planes were actually forced to use Shannon when they didn't want to. There isn't, and couldn't be, a Dublin stopover, as Aer Lingus don't have a monopoly.

Unless you're suggesting every travel agent in the USA is part of some DAA conspiracy.

I only made an observation following my experiences with Aer Lingus. Simple as that. You can draw whatever assumptions you want from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I only made an observation following my experiences with Aer Lingus. Simple as that. You can draw whatever assumptions you want from that.
    I think you'll find that I'm making no assumptions, and drawing conclusions based on the fact of the matter. Last time I went to the US, the travel agent offered Delta as the cheapest option at that particular time.

If you're using a travel agent who only books you with AL (and I've nothign against AL), then change your travel agent.

And if travel agents and airlines haven't heard of Shannon at this stage, you can ask what Shannon Development has been doing for the last fifty or sixty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

IMO, Aer Lingus will try to push as much US traffic through Dublin.
    There may be some truth in that.

I just randomly compared prices with Aer Lingus using the same dates in September.

Their JFK-SNN-JFK route is circa 13% more expensive than their JFK-DUB-JFK route is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

There may be some truth in that.

I just randomly compared prices with Aer Lingus using the same dates in September.

Their JFK-SNN-JFK route is circa 13% more expensive than their JFK-DUB-JFK route is.

On the days you quoted, Aer Lingus don't fly to JFK from shannon, those flights are to Boston with onward connections using jetblue.

I compared like for like, going out Sept 14th and back on sept 28th, which is about closest to your dates randomly picked.
    Shannon's fare is 511euros return, and Dublins cheapest is 569euros. There is fares from Dublin return for the 511euros around then, so it depends when you go, but Aer Lingus are no more expensive when they use their own planes ONLY.

• Advertisement

On the days you quoted, Aer Lingus don't fly to JFK from shannon, those flights are to Boston with onward connections using jetblue.
    Thanks for highlighting that.

Well damn them, I distinctly booked a direct route!

Their "select" booking phase is stretched over two screen sessions.

8923240511_243af4f947_z.jpg

Shannon – Bodrum (Turkey) service grounded due to poor sales (live95fm). :(

Though they will continue to fly to Izmir (190 Km away) with fellow tour operator Sunway.

The growing of package holiday flights in the present economic climate remains a tough business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

I am pretty sure that from thuis year onwards Shannon will have increased passenger numbers and they wont decline again. If Ryanair decides to commence new services they wouldn't want to pull out again

Shannon Airport lands major conferences for world's leading airline representative body (Shannon Airport)

Shannon Airport’s status on the global aviation map has been reaffirmed by the decision of the representative body for the aviation industry worldwide to bring three conferences to the region later this year.

Up to 350 representatives of the world’s leading airlines are expected to attend the International Air Transport Association (IATA) cargo-related conferences over successive days at the Strand Hotel, Limerick from November 19th to 21st.

IATA is the trade association for the world’s airlines, representing some 240 airlines in over 115 countries. Carrying 84% of the world’s air traffic, IATA members include the world’s leading passenger and cargo airlines, including American Airlines, SWISS, Air India, China Airlines, Delta Airlines, Air Canada, Turkish Airlines, British Airways, South African Airways, Air France, Lufthansa, KLM, United Airlines and AVIANCA.
    It should be a good opportunity for Shannon to profile the airport with the representatives of that association.

Business is all about developing a good network of relationships.

Anybody got an update on the Lynx cargo facility which needs a Cargo Customs and Border Pre-Clearance (CBP) with the US authorities to progress?

• Advertisement

Shannon Airport has welcomed the early launch of Aer Lingus’ US schedule for the summer season as a vote of confidence in the demand for transatlantic services at Shannon.

Flights will operate from Shannon to Boston four times weekly and to New York three times weekly.

Shannon Airport will see its transatlantic capacity increase by 25% this summer.

Limerick Leader
    These routes seem to be operating well for Aer Lingus (post above from early March).:)

RTE reports today, that two planes will be based in Shannon and will be used for increasing frequency on existing routes to New York and Boston, while all year round connections from Shannon to the east coast will be introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

that's good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

These routes seem to be operating well for Aer Lingus (post above from early March).:)

RTE reports today, that two planes will be based in Shannon and will be used for increasing frequency on existing routes to New York and Boston, while all year round connections from Shannon to the east coast will be introduced.

More details from the airport's website on today's announcement:
    http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-07-03/Shannon_Airport_statement_re_strengthening_of_Aer_Lingus_transatlantic_services.aspx

According to this, today's news sees the potential for Aer Lingus to carry an additional 50000 passengers from SNN to JFK/Bos. In addition to being good news for the average punter, it is also good news for many US companies (and indeed Irish ones with business interests in the US) based in the region with increased connectivity to the east coast of the USA.

Although the aircraft (B757's) to operate these routes will have a reduced capacity relative to the aircraft (an A330) operating these routes currently, it is the increased frequency that is most welcome, and the fact that these routes will be year round (currently these routes take a break during the winter from ~Jan-Mar).

In other relevant news, pprune is reporting that the recently introduced SNN-Chicago United airlines route will return in 2014.

And Delta's seasonal SNN-JFK will start in Mar 2014 (this year it started in May).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

SNN-JFK is still taking a break from Jan-March, but Boston will still operate during that period

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think you'll find that I'm making no assumptions, and drawing conclusions based on the fact of the matter. Last time I went to the US, the travel agent offered Delta as the cheapest option at that particular time.

If you're using a travel agent who only books you with AL (and I've nothign against AL), then change your travel agent.

And if travel agents and airlines haven't heard of Shannon at this stage, you can ask what Shannon Development has been doing for the last fifty or sixty years.

We're all asking that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

Sunway have added Shannon to Lanzarote to there Winter 2013/2014 programme. The flights start on the 03 November and operate until the 27th April 2014. All the flights are being operated by Aer Lingus.

More choice for holiday makers in the region this Winter. Its great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

June passenger numbers up 8% :)

The number of passengers travelling through Shannon Airport rose 8% in June, according to the airport’s authority.

It marks the first time the airport has seen month-on-month growth in passenger numbers in five years, with the airport catering to 160,573 people in June compared to 148,531 in the same month of last year.

Much of the growth can be attributed to a 38% rise in US passengers, driven largely by the launch of United Airlines’ Chicago service last month.

Meanwhile there was an 18% increase in the number of passengers flying to European countries, with the return of Ryanair’s service to Alicante and the commencement of Aer Lingus’ flights to Faro being the main drivers there.

Shannon Airport has been managed as an independent entity since the start of the year, having previously come under the remit of the Dublin Airport Authority.

Since then its management has focused on expanding the number of services at the airport, something boosted by Aer Lingus’ recent announcement that it would increase the frequency of its existing Boston and JFK New York flights next year.

source:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0718/463197-shannon-airport-passengers/

According to the Leader, overall growth in passenger numbers would have been much more spectacular than 8% had it not been for the continuing slide in US military passengers, down by around a quarter this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

According to the Leader, overall growth in passenger numbers would have been much more spectacular than 8% had it not been for the continuing slide in US military passengers, down by around a quarter this year.

Damn peace cutting into our bottom line.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Damn peace cutting into our bottom line.

No worries, I'm sure there's plenty of dodgy countries who need a sympathetic country to look away when "merchandise" is being transferred.
    After all, the American's word that "there is nothing on those planes of concern to you" was good enough for the previous government, we now have to see who the new highest bidder for our "neutrality" is.

• Advertisement

More than 100 Irish troops are to be be sent to war-torn Syria as part of a United Nations observer force later this summer. The Government yesterday approved the deployment of a 114-strong mechanised infantry unit to the Golan Heights at the request of the UN. (Irish Times)

I'm sure the UN has made contingency plans with the US Military to get our guys out safely if all hell breaks out.

Probably by the very same guys passing through Shannon.

The Mediterranean region from Morocco to Syria is going through major political change.

The region will remain very volatile and will require a large NATO / US presence to monitor it.

0007ad8f-642.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

Shannon Airport CEO says Ryanair extension of Liverpool service for winter season a two-way opportunity

The Chief Executive of Shannon Airport Neil Pakey said today that Ryanair’s decision to extend its Liverpool service beyond the summer is an excellent two-way opportunity to drive winter-season tourism here and on Merseyside.
    The airline announced today that it will operate three times weekly to Liverpool through the winter season, having restored the route initially in March for the summer season only. This will see the service go year round amount to an additional 12,500 seats over the 2013/14 winter season.
    “Ryanair’s decision to extend the service for the winter schedule is an excellent opportunity to boost tourist numbers for the quieter time of the year into this region from Liverpool and vice versa,” said Mr Pakey.
    "Liverpool has the strongest Irish heritage of any English city, even ahead of London, and this, in addition to the outstanding tourism package that we have on the western half of the country, is a real plus for attracting people in for short breaks over the winter.
    “It’s a two way street as Liverpool is a great city to visit also. It is, of course, synonymous with football, with Liverpool and Everton both having huge Irish fan bases and a great tradition of Irish players in their squads. But it is far from just a football city.
    “The world over knows about its music, in particular, as home of the Beatles. Its cultural offering really is world-class, with more museums and galleries than another UK city after London and it is also a former European City of Culture. It has also fast become one of the UK’s leading business destinations so there are strong trade opportunities that we are keen to support.”
    Mr Pakey said that the fact Liverpool is also now one of the UK’s leading shopping destinations adds to its attraction for short-breaks. “The Liverpool ONE retail centre in the heart of Liverpool City has transformed Liverpool into one of Europe’s leading retail and leisure destinations and into one of the top five most popular retail destinations in the UK,” he added.
    “All in all, it’s a city to visit for a number of compelling reasons and we are delighted to have Ryanair staying on for the winter season to enable our passengers have the option of going there and to attract Liverpudlians here.”
    Robin Tudor Head of PR for Liverpool John Lennon Airport commented, “Shannon serves some of the most picturesque parts of Ireland and so for passengers from this part of the North West England to be able to enjoy the area’s unique Irish experience and hospitality year round, is great news for us.

“We also agree with Shannon Airport management that this route should be equally popular with visitors from the west of Ireland to Liverpool too. There is so much to see and do in and around Liverpool that caters for all tastes and we look forward to welcoming more visitors flying in from Shannon year round.”

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-08-02/Shannon_Airport_CEO_says_Ryanair_extension_of_Liverpool_service_for_winter_season_a_two-way_opportunity.aspx

I'm sure Kess73 will find this good news. :)

Because of my visit to Shannon, I have seriously considered bringing the airline here for manufacture and development . . . Speedtwin Developments Limited.”

That would be a cool boost for Shannon's Aviation Centre! :cool:

See link.

From the airport's news section:

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-08-02/Bank_Holiday_passenger_numbers_up_by_10_at_Shannon.aspx

Bank Holiday passenger numbers up by 10% at Shannon

02 August 2013

The Chief Executive of Shannon Airport, Neil Pakey, has today stated that the 10% increase in Bank Holiday passengers through the airport this weekend, over the same period last year is further evidence of the recovery in the tourism market here and abroad.

British Airways has confirmed Shannon Airport as its preferred option as a diversionary airport if the Airbus A380 ‘Superjumbo’ needs to make an unscheduled landing.

The outboard engines and the wing tips extend out over the edge of the runway and taxiways here and that’s what you have to be real careful about. We need to be able to manoeuvre the aircraft around and park it safely and our visit went very well.” (Irish Examiner)

Are they saying that Shannon Airport needs to be extra vigilant on maintaining the grass verges along the runway and the intern-fencing placed along some parts of the taxiways as seen in the image above?

^^^
    It means we can get our hedges cut for free

July witnessed a ~9% increase in passenger numbers using Shannon, compared to the same period last year. This is the second successive month with recorded growth at the airport.

For more info, see below:

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-08-07/Shannon_achieves_second_successive_month_of_growth_as_July_passenger_numbers_increase_by_over_9.aspx

• Advertisement

lockman wrote: »
    July witnessed a ~9% increase in passenger numbers using Shannon, compared to the same period last year. This is the second successive month with recorded growth at the airport.

For more info, see below:

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-08-07/Shannon_achieves_second_successive_month_of_growth_as_July_passenger_numbers_increase_by_over_9.aspx

That is very good to hear and indeed encouraging news, but when I fly to Germany next week, it will still be from Dublin.
    There are still hundreds of millions of people living in Europe that would love to visit the West of Ireland but there are still zero flights going there.
    Hopefully this will change soon, the Frankfurt flight from Shannon was always full.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement