Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

An increase in passenger numbers is predicted for the Christmas period.

From the airport's news section:

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-12-20/Bumper_Christmas_at_Shannon_as_emigrants_return_home_in_their_droves.aspx

Friday, 20 December 2013:
    It’s proving to be a bumper Christmas for returning emigrants, with Shannon Airport set to record a 21% increase in passenger numbers over the festive season.

Some 43,000 passengers will fly in and out of Shannon over the Christmas period - December 21st to January 2nd – up almost 8,000 on the same period last year when over 35,000 travelled. This will make it the first Christmas in five years that passenger numbers at the airport have shown an increase.

I didnt see any mention for November passenger figures in recent weeks, so one assumes the figures were flat/ there was a decrease in passenger numbers. It will be interesting to see the end of year report, in what has been the airport's first year as an independent entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

. . . I think this is the first piece of legislation I have ever seen that actually says "let's encourage something" . . .
    Unfortunately they have not passed the legislation yet, which stalls the implementation of plans for the International Aviation Services Centre.
    lockman wrote: »
    . . . This will make it the first Christmas in five years that passenger numbers at the airport have shown an increase.

I didnt see any mention for November passenger figures in recent weeks, so one assumes the figures were flat/ there was a decrease in passenger numbers. It will be interesting to see the end of year report, in what has been the airport's first year as an independent entity.
    It sure will be interesting to know, as management speak in terms, that they have just managed to stabilize the passenger numbers this year for the first time since 2007.

I think some gains earlier on in the year were offset by fewer U.S. military personnel transiting through Shannon as they switch more and more flights to Leipzig Germany.

Passengers per year.
    • 2007 (3.6 miilion)
    • 2008 (3.2 miilion)
    • 2009 (2.8 miilion)
    • 2010 (1.8 miilion)
    • 2011 (1.6 miilion)
    • 2012 (1.4 miilion)
    • 2013 (?.? Million)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, after a few months of loudly trumpeting extremely modest growth things suddenly went very quiet when it came to releasing the November figures. I don't suppose that flying a few thousand kids around the west coast for an hour at the airport's expense this month might end up being the difference between growth and decline at the end of the year by any chance? If it proves to be the case it would be up there with flybe's infamous hiring of actors to boost passenger figures at Norwich a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

I don't suppose that flying a few thousand kids around the west coast for an hour at the airport's expense this month might end up being the difference between growth and decline

..Surely they wouldn't be so 'desperate' to include these figures in their monthly passengers???? Smell of teen spirit ..oops -desperation!!

Sure they are NOT paying passengers - so not really a commercial value to either Revenue or Passenger Numbers.

Yes, after a few months of loudly trumpeting extremely modest growth things suddenly went very quiet when it came to releasing the November figures. I don't suppose that flying a few thousand kids around the west coast for an hour at the airport's expense this month might end up being the difference between growth and decline at the end of the year by any chance? If it proves to be the case it would be up there with flybe's infamous hiring of actors to boost passenger figures at Norwich a few years ago.
    You are not wearing one of those “Bah, Humbug Christmas Jumpers” by any chance?

The free Santa flights for the kids was a nice idea.

It was a good PR measure for both Ryanair and Shannon Airport.

A win, win for everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There was a 1.8% increase in terminal movements over last November https://www.iaa.ie/news.jsp?gc=99&i=452

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

What a ridiculous statement to make! i pitty you with the mindset that flights for kids at christmass is only for the purpose to fiddle passenger numbers!

Easily know where your chip comes from, :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the drop in passenger numbers has a lot to do with Aer Lingus pulling the Heatrow route back in 07, I used to take that flight at least twice a week and it was always nearly full, throw in the drop in military transport that's a massive drop in numbers.

I would also imagine that passenger numbers would be an industry standard metric so they'll be what they are I'm sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Please stop the bickering by the way, if you have a problem with a post debate the post not the poster.

Also, pax numbers to/from UK are available here

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201311/November_2013_Provisional_International_Routes.pdf

Aer Arann using the smaller ATR42 at the moment compared to last Nov which explains the differences there. Also 1 less LHR rotation per week and 2 less LGW rotations per week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

imurdaddy wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement to make! i pitty you with the mindset that flights for kids at christmass is only for the purpose to fiddle passenger numbers!

Easily know where your chip comes from, :rolleyes:

I pity you for not being able to spell a four letter word...

Anyway, the end of year figures will help us to judge exactly what the real reason for Shannon Airport hiring Ryanair planes to give free flights to the public was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Cosmo Kramer has been banned for one week for ignoring a moderator's instruction and for having a go at a fellow poster (re: spelling/grammar).

There was a 1.8% increase in terminal movements over last November https://www.iaa.ie/news.jsp?gc=99&i=452
    Also, pax numbers to/from UK are available here

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/201311/November_2013_Provisional_International_Routes.pdf

Aer Arann using the smaller ATR42 at the moment compared to last Nov which explains the differences there. Also 1 less LHR rotation per week and 2 less LGW rotations per week...
    Thanks for those two statistical links (Irish Aviation Authority & UK Civil Aviation Authority) as they reveal that the year for Shannon remains tough.

The commercial travel movements of aircraft at Shannon is down 1.7% for the first 11 months of this year.

That can only translate into fewer passengers for 2013 too.

Next year with all the new routes coming into force we should see a big improvement.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority reveal a more detailed statistic especially the traffic flows between Irish and UK airports is most interesting to read.

You can also get numbers for all other routes here

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=ctm01

Only up to end of September available. A quick look looks like roughly 1m up to end of September, so looks like there'll be a modest gain for the year if at all.

11501101374_032b2fc8fd_z.jpg

Shannon Air Traffic Control Centre (IAA)

Irish controlled airspace acts as a gateway between Europe and North America.

Air Traffic Controllers at Shannon safely handle more than 90% of all aircraft that operate between the two continents.

This equates to in excess of 1,200 aircraft every 24 hours during the busy summer months.

In 2011, Shannon air traffic control safely handled in excess of 300,408 en route flights.
    11501120856_ba215e1992_z.jpg

Training Services

The Irish Aviation Authority National Training Centre is also located in the Ballycasey complex.

They offer a variety of Air Traffic Management related training at our state-of-the-art facility.

The IAA Training Centre provides 70,000 square feet of space comprising of 6 classrooms fitted with the very latest audio-visual equipment and a 90 seat auditorium.
    11501064334_3aaee3fe74_z.jpg

Ballygirreen Radio Station

The IAA’s North Atlantic Communications Service is provided from its communication station located at Ballygirreen, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co. Clare and covers the Eastern half of the North Atlantic.

It is known as Shannon Aeradio, or Shanwick Radio.

Approximately 70 personnel are employed at the North Atlantic Communications Centre.
    11501081026_bd6350c2a1_z.jpg

Shanwick Oceanic Control and Irish Control Airspaces

An agreement in 1966 was reached between the UK and Irish governments where Prestwick (Scotland) and Ballygirreen (Shannon) would work as one unit.

Prestwick assumed the ATC (Air Traffic Control) function and Ballygirreen assumed responsibility for communications.

Hence the name Shanwick originated, SHANnon and PrestWICK being the original ATC providers.

It is interesting to note that circa 300,000 flights between Europe and North America pass through Irish controlled airspace.

Shannon acts as a diversion airport for aircraft encountering technical or medical emergencies over the Atlantic.

Could not the IAA pencil in some of the €2 million costs for this 24/7/365 service into their charges?

See link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

<...> Shannon acts as a diversion airport for aircraft encountering technical or medical emergencies over the Atlantic.

Could not the IAA pencil in some of the €2 million costs for this 24/7/365 service into their charges?

See link.
    But has this any actual formal basis? Is any external authority actually compelling Shannon to have an ATC presence 24/7/365? IIRC, for the sake of argument, Dublin Airport ATC only closes on Christmas Day. Aircraft will typically divert to wherever they feel they can land. Again, Dublin also receives diverted aircraft in emergencies, as does Cork. Didn't Cork Airport even famously have a case of an emergency landing by a 747?

But has this any actual formal basis?
    I would imagine so, the aviation industry is very strictly regulated regarding safety and especially for twin-engined aircraft crossing the Atlantic.

Apart from a list diversion airports serving the Atlantic that act as a safety-net, there is nothing much to be found online regarding them.
    Is any external authority actually compelling Shannon to have an ATC presence 24/7/365?
    I think you are mixing up ATC (Air Traffic Control) with Tower Control.

The former is responsible for aircraft traffic en route through Irish Airspace.

The latter is responsible for aircraft at the airport itself.
    IIRC, for the sake of argument, Dublin Airport ATC only closes on Christmas Day. Aircraft will typically divert to wherever they feel they can land. Again, Dublin also receives diverted aircraft in emergencies, as does Cork. Didn't Cork Airport even famously have a case of an emergency landing by a 747?

Here is a list of common diversion airports on Atlantic routes (Wikipedia)
    • Bangor International Airport
    • Gander Airport
    • Keflavik Airport
    • Shannon Airport
    • Bermuda Airport
    • Lajes Airport (Azores)
    • Santa Maria Airport (Azores)
    • Lisbon Portela Airport
    • La Palma Airport
    • Tenerife Norte Airport
    • Amílcar Cabral International Airport (Sal Island)
    • RAF Ascension Island
    • Fernando de Noronha Airport
    • Natal International Airport
    • Fortaleza International Airport
    • Recife International Airport
    • Cayenne-Rochambeau Airport
    • Pointe-à-Pitre International Airport

I think you are mixing up ATC (Air Traffic Control) with Tower Control.

ATC refers to any kind of ATC service- Tower, Centre or otherwise.

ATC refers to any kind of ATC service- Tower, Centre or otherwise.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

As I presumed he meant the Air Traffic Control Centre as opposed to the Airport's own Control Tower.

I would imagine so, the aviation industry is very strictly regulated regarding safety and especially for twin-engined aircraft crossing the Atlantic.

Apart from a list diversion airports serving the Atlantic that act as a safety-net, there is nothing much to be found online regarding them.
    From what I can glean, there's no particular obligation on an airport to offer a particular level of service. It's more that airlines, when plotting a route, have to demonstrate that they've diversionary airports along the way.

Incidently, the reason I'm asking is because Leo Varadkar explicitly rejected the suggestion that Government had ever made any commitment to keep Shannon open 24/7. I'm not aware of anyone specifically answering the Minister's point
    http://www.clarecourier.ie/article.asp?id=3173

Q. Michael Guerin, former Aer Rianta: The Booz report on page 30 refers to Shannon remaining open 24/7, 365 days a year but fails to relay that in fact there is a Government commitment to keep the airport open as a diversionary airport. There is a corresponding situation in Gander, Newfoundland, where it remains open on the same basis but has no terminal traffic. It is 100% funded by the Canadian Federal Government, so the Irish Government must have some responsibility to maintaining a 24/ coverage?

Minister Varadkar: I’ve heard of that government commitment but I’ve yet to come across it or to see it written down anywhere in any international agreement or any document if such a commitment exists. I know Gander and I would not like Shannon to be Gander.

• Advertisement

Minister Varadkar: I’ve heard of that government commitment but I’ve yet to come across it or to see it written down anywhere in any international agreement or any document if such a commitment exists.
    What a pity that the Clare Courier did not publish the minister's reply completely online.

Maybe Edward Snowden can eventually enlighten us all (Minister included) sometime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Note Vadkar's comment: "I know Gander and I would not like Shannon to be Gander. " Sounds very ominous!

Hopefully, keeping Shannon ATC open 24/7 is out of his hands!

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Note Vadkar's comment: "I know Gander and I would not like Shannon to be Gander. " Sounds very ominous!
    To be fair to him, I think what he meant was he wants Shannon to find a commercial future, in contrast to Gander being a largely empty backup landing strip - but it is unfortunate that the page seems to cut out mid-sentence!

Thanks to notharrypotter, I was to get my hands on a version of the Booz report.

Alas on page 30 there was no reference to Shannon as a diversion airport.

But I did find an interesting note on page 6 regarding costs.
    Booz & Company consider that, in relation to Shannon Airport, . . . . . . the fixed costs of 24-hour operations that cannot be avoided, the airport should look to explore ways of recovering the costs associated with its status as an emergency diversion airport.

For example, this could include exploring the possibility for some revenue sharing with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA).

See link: Options for the Future Ownership and Operation of Cork and Shannon Airports. (Booz Final Report 9th December 2011)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Alas on page 30 there was no reference to Shannon as a diversion airport.
    AIP Ireland

ENR 2.2.7.3 Westbound Aircraft going over the ocean.
    7.3 Communications Failure Prior To Entering NAT Oceanic Airspace
    Due to the potential length of time in oceanic airspace, it is strongly recommended that a pilot experiencing
    communications failure whilst still in Shannon FIR/UIR/SOTA/NOTA does not enter Shanwick Oceanic Control Area
    but adopts the procedure specified at Procedure A below. However, if the pilot elects to continue then, to facilitate
    the provision of adequate separation, adopt either the Procedure B or Procedure C below.
    Procedure A
    For this procedure the pilot is deemed to have selected Shannon as the aerodrome of intended landing. Proceed,
    maintaining the last assigned and acknowledged flight level, to the appropriate hold specified for Shannon and hold
    for a period of not less than five minutes. Then commence descent and complete a normal instrument approach.
    For the procedure as outlined in this paragraph and in order to avoid ambiguity Shannon is the only Irish aerodrome
    which may be used
    ENR 2.2.7.4 Eastbound aircraft coming off the ocean
    7.4 Communications Failure Prior To Exiting NAT Oceanic Airspace
    7.4.1 Cleared on Flight Plan Route
    The pilot shall proceed in accordance with the last received and acknowledged oceanic clearance to the last
    specified oceanic route point, normally landfall and maintain the last assigned oceanic level and speed to this point.
    Unless the pilot elects to adopt the procedure outlined at
    below, after landfall proceed in accordance with the
    filed flight plan (Level/speed/route).
    7.4.2 Cleared on other than Flight Plan Route the pilot shall proceed in accordance with the last received and
    acknowledged oceanic clearance to the last specified oceanic route point, normally landfall. Unless the pilot elects
    to adopt the procedure outlined at
    below, after passing this point, proceed to the next significant point ahead
    of the track of the aircraft as contained in the filed flight plan. Maintain the last assigned oceanic level and speed to
    landfall, thereafter the flight level and speed contained in the filed flight plan.
    7.4.3 Diversion to Shannon
    In the event of the pilot electing to divert to Shannon, after landfall proceed direct to the appropriate hold specified
    for Shannon in
    Table
    1:
    here under, maintaining the last assigned oceanic level and hold for a period of not less than
    five minutes. Then commence descent and complete a normal instrument approach. For the procedure as outline
    in this paragraph and in order to avoid ambiguity Shannon is the only Irish aerodrome which may be used.

This what you were looking for?

AIP Ireland

ENR 2.2.7.3 Westbound Aircraft going over the ocean.
    ENR 2.2.7.4 Eastbound aircraft coming off the ocean

This what you were looking for?
    Yes, as that particular procedure issued by the Irish Aviation Authority clearly indicates an agreement between the IAA and Shannon Airport to act as an Emergency Diversion Airport (24/7/365).

Yes, as that particular procedure issued by the Irish Aviation Authority clearly indicates an agreement between the IAA and Shannon Airport to act as an Emergency Diversion Airport (24/7/365).
    I'm not sure it does. The first paragraph states For this procedure the pilot is deemed to have selected Shannon as the aerodrome of intended landing, while the other starts In the event of the pilot electing to divert to Shannon.

Which makes sense - presumably, no airport can guarantee 100% availability.

So, no, I don't think those oblique references turn the corner on this. What we're looking for, surely, is some clear agreement to provide a certain level of service to somebody.

Just as an aside, I came across this article while googling the topic. Just an interesting vignette.
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304441404577478603178669654

<...>
    Airline flights with security threats, sick passengers and mechanical problems often end up at Bangor International Airport—the first or last major airport in the U.S. for the hundreds of flights across the Atlantic Ocean every day. Flights that are running low on fuel or need to wait out bad weather at their destinations put down here, too. <..>

Bangor's level of preparedness is a model for other airports still struggling to figure out their responsibility for diverted flights. This year, the U.S. Department of Transportation is requiring airports, as well as airlines, to submit contingency plans for lengthy tarmac delays. That follows several high-profile fiascoes where a lack of coordination between airports, airlines and the FAA along with shortages of manpower, equipment, gates and food left passengers stranded aboard planes in horrid conditions.<..>

What we're looking for, surely, is some clear agreement to provide a certain level of service to somebody.

Its my understanding that the AIP is supposed to be the "official" bible for aviation in Ireland.

Suppose it was clearly stated in it that airport XXXX will be available H24 & 365 days a year.

Then there would be an obligation on the State to ensure that airport XXXX was properly resourced.

That is never going to happen.

Regarding the communications failure.

There is actually 3 options for an aircraft over Ireland before it enters the ocean.

Option A is not to enter the Ocean and land in Ireland.
    When the pilot chooses option A then the only airport that they can use is Shannon.
    This is regardless of what other Airports are near.

Options B & C are to enter the ocean in compliance with certain criteria.

There is also 3 options for an aircraft leaving the ocean who has a communications failure.
    Options 1 & 2 involve continuing to the destination in compliance with certain rules.
    Option 3 is to land in Ireland.
    Where a pilot chooses option 3 then they must use Shannon.

It clearly states that for an aircraft with communications problems and it plans to land in Ireland then this aircraft must use Shannon.

in order to avoid ambiguity Shannon is the only Irish aerodrome which may be used

Not quite the "smoking gun"

• Advertisement

I'm not sure it does. The first paragraph states For this procedure the pilot is deemed to have selected Shannon as the aerodrome of intended landing, while the other starts In the event of the pilot electing to divert to Shannon.

Which makes sense - presumably, no airport can guarantee 100% availability.

So, no, I don't think those oblique references turn the corner on this. What we're looking for, surely, is some clear agreement to provide a certain level of service to somebody.
    I see what you mean, however the first paragraph deals with the westbound scenario (7.3) and it is crystal clear, in that once a pilot follows the recommendations of the IAA, then “Procedure A” is to be followed and the aircraft is to land at Shannon Airport.

In order for the IAA to guarantee this particular procedure, it must have some form of agreement with Shannon Airport, in that it remains open around the clock.

Only the good people at the IAA can confirm this or otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement