Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

Comments

Hi guys, I remember last week that there was mention in the news of lands available for development at Shannon for aircraft maintenance. Anyone know where they're on about? Is it a case of knocking some industrial units?

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the way they are going about setting up the airport on it's own is a very intelligent way, they are forming 1 big company so there won't be hassle with land or space or remits and they are removing the debt so they can compete. Hopefully it won't be messed up

Its the taxpayer thats removing the 100 million debt. Once again the taxpayer is bailing out this doomed airport.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Its the taxpayer thats removing the 100 million debt. Once again the taxpayer is bailing out this doomed airport.:mad:

I see Enda is leaning on everybody to go into Knock, why should the taxpayer put up with Enda pushing a private airport at the expense of Shannon?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The debt is mainly interest payments though isn't it? Also, the way the DAA was setup meant that a lot of the debt that was in Shannon was linked to other airports, same way that income from other airports could be linked to Shannon. I once paid for parking in Dublin by credit card and had it show up as Shannon Airport Parking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

It was only doomed because it was being run by a competing airport.
    Now back off to mayo with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Bitter anti shannon bile!

maybe shannon should bring in a departure tax like knock? :rolleyes:

Is knock going to hand back it's state funding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Compared to what we are paying to bail out Anglo it will give us taxpayers a better ROI.

byebye wrote: »
    Bitter anti shannon bile!

maybe shannon should bring in a departure tax like knock? :rolleyes:

Is knock going to hand back it's state funding?
    Well if im not coming with gifts for Shannon airport then it must be "Bitter anti shannon bile! "

Thats 100 million not counting structural funding which is also multiple amounts of all other regional airports. And yes If SNN is to be run without the taxpayer having to continually bail it out then it will have to introduce a departure tax like Knock:rolleyes: Imagine having to pay for a service that you use, Shocking concept!!for you....
    You cannot expect the taxpayer to subsidise those with the funds to fly that want to depart from an airport that cant fund itself.

kilburn wrote: »
    I see Enda is leaning on everybody to go into Knock, why should the taxpayer put up with Enda pushing a private airport at the expense of Shannon?
    :D:D What ? The government just gave SNN a 100 million bailout while the passengers using Knock pay to keep it running with a departure tax. But you think Enda is helping Knock ?
    If you got rid of that persecution complex you'd realise no airport or passengers in the country gets treated better. Although its time for you to grow up now and start fending for yourself as i Can't see the taxpayer willing to see so much airport funding continually heading to the dinosaur that is shannon airport.

Also,Knock is also not a private airport its an airport thats held in trust for the people of the west of Ireland whose whole purpose is to better the airport and region. Buts its run as a business not a charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

What's done is done mayomaffia, complaining about the debt is pointless.

SNN has the potential to be competitive once again. Competition between SNN and Knock can only be good.

• Advertisement

Well if im not coming with gifts for Shannon airport then it must be "Bitter anti shannon bile! "

Thats 100 million not counting structural funding which is also multiple amounts of all other regional airports. And yes If SNN is to be run without the taxpayer having to continually bail it out then it will have to introduce a departure tax like Knock:rolleyes: Imagine having to pay for a service that you use, Shocking concept!!for you....
    You cannot expect the taxpayer to subsidise those with the funds to fly that want to depart from an airport that cant fund itself.

Listen i looked trough your posts before and every second post is anti shannon!! you seem to want nothing more than shannon closed! why is that?

knock is reciveing state mony and allways has but i dont see you harping on bout that.

you claim knock airport serves 50% of ireland?? back it up with a link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

:D:D What ? The government just gave SNN a 100 million bailout while the passengers using Knock pay to keep it running with a departure tax. But you think Enda is helping Knock ?
    If you got rid of that persecution complex you'd realise no airport or passengers in the country gets treated better. Although its time for you to grow up now and start fending for yourself as i Can't see the taxpayer willing to see so much airport funding continually heading to the dinosaur that is shannon airport.

Also,Knock is also not a private airport its an airport thats held in trust for the people of the west of Ireland whose whole purpose is to better the airport and region. Buts its run as a business not a charity.

It's higher taxes and charges that got Shannon into this mess.

It's higher taxes and charges that got Shannon into this mess.

I'd say more to do with higher cost, wages and running the airport 24/7. Knock can have lower costs as its not trying to be all things to all(opening only 12hrs and only serving europe, no unions and multitasking staff.
    SNN certainly has the infrastructure to be successful, but i think it will need a complete restructure of staff and operations to be successful with a less unionised and smaller workforce. There simply isn't the population or millions of American tourists to run it as a large international airport 24/7 without continuous government subsidies . Time will tell i suppose...

Listen i looked trough your posts before and every second post is anti shannon!! you seem to want nothing more than shannon closed! why is that?

knock is reciveing state mony and allways has but i dont see you harping on bout that.

you claim knock airport serves 50% of ireland?? back it up with a link?

I've no problem any airport getting structural funding (which Knock unlike shannon actually pays alot of itself via passenger taxes) it the operational costs that should not be paid for by the taxpayer as this does not deter wastage. That was 8 million of a shortfall every year in SNN.

Im lucky enough to be able to afford to fly regularly, but do you think its right my neighbour on minimum wage should subsidise me for the luxury of flying out of a local airport even though he cannot afford to fly ? I certainly don't.

Thats why id suggest each non DAA airport Kerry SNN and Knock all run at cost or put the shortfall on the passenger not the taxpayer. Knock is already doing this and it ensures you either become efficient increase your passenger tax or close. It also means that if people want a local airport they actually pay for it or else travel elsewhere. Surely its the fairest way for all, taxpayer, rich, poor regions etc...It would be great for all to see all three airports running on there own merit.

The hole shannon is in was dug by DAA and bad managemet which where hand in hand. shannon and cork were been run by a airport they are in compition with. Shannon has been killed off slowly. DAA deserves to take its bad debts with it.

The drop in passenger numbers is a result of recession and lack of routes at shannon, Beleive it or not people in the mid west still travel and in my case and many people i know several times per year but the fact that routes were not operating from snn its not by chioce to use other airports.

Shannon under the right managment has a great chance to grow again and i'm sure it will with great infrastructure and population in the area.

You are not the only tax payer in ireland and i and every other person share the cost of all public amenities and services. you issue with shannon leaving the DAA is the affect it might have on your local airport which is understandable but constant posting of anti shannon bs is painting a very bad picture of you and mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I agree i think this is the year(if not next year) shannon will take off,its in a good position in ireland for flights so its only a matter of time before all ryanair flights and aerlingus flight destinations make shannon their first choice again..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Knock is a dreadful airport. Perched on the top of a mountain. I've used it a few times (because I couldn't get to my desired destination ex Snn.)

Shannon has the population and facilities - it needs more flights and passengers, and to reduce it's costs. The mismanagement of DAA nearly killed it. I hope Shannon Development can do much much better.

I've no problem any airport getting structural funding (which Knock unlike shannon actually pays alot of itself via passenger taxes) it the operational costs that should not be paid for by the taxpayer as this does not deter wastage. That was 8 million of a shortfall every year in SNN.

Im lucky enough to be able to afford to fly regularly, but do you think its right my neighbour on minimum wage should subsidise me for the luxury of flying out of a local airport even though he cannot afford to fly ? I certainly don't.

Thats why id suggest each non DAA airport Kerry SNN and Knock all run at cost or put the shortfall on the passenger not the taxpayer. Knock is already doing this and it ensures you either become efficient increase your passenger tax or close. It also means that if people want a local airport they actually pay for it or else travel elsewhere. Surely its the fairest way for all, taxpayer, rich, poor regions etc...It would be great for all to see all three airports running on there own merit.

Not a good idea IMO, it's the reason Shannon is the ghost airport it is. Any increase in passenger charges will prompt Ryanair to pull out whatever flights they have remaining.
    You're right when it comes to better efficiencies, there will have to be a major slash and burn at SNN, the DAA, being a fat quango itself, had zero interest in doing that, turkeys not voting for Christmas and so on.
    Shannon Development however...is just the same, so I don't see much appetite for a leaner operation there. Maybe more interest in the airport itself, so that can only be a good thing.
    But in the end, whatever drivel and bullsh*t they spout is completely irrelevant, what is relevant is passenger numbers and profits, so we will have to see what happens to them.
    Or it can continue to run the way it runs, as a local interest and vanity project and white elephant that will subsidize a vast workforce that would probably lose less money if each of them was sent home on full pay and the airport shut altogether.
    Only time will tell.

dr.fuzzenstein

I agree with you on shannon development but at least they are local and hopefuly will be more interested in making shannon a sucees than DAA! but as you say time will tell!

As for mayomaffia claiming KOC is running on its own! thats not the case KOC is receving tax payers money also! The €10 charge at the gate is just extracting extra money on top of the tax and charges paid on ticket price!

"On 21 February 2007, the Government of Ireland announced that it was giving €27 million of capital grant money to Ireland West Airport"

Standing on its own! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

IMVHO (no mod hat on here), some of the discussions going on here sums up what is wrong with a lot of the country here, why are Knock and Shannon comparing each other and complaining about hand outs/bail outs/competition? Knock is a regional airport and should be looking to increase it's business however possible, Shannon is an international airport and should be looking to increase it's business however possible.

Shannon has been very badly managed because it was being run by an airport that was in competition with it as well as an over reliance on an airline that was more interested in moving out of Shannon than enhancing it. Shannon has 1 of the longest run ways in Europe, was a transatlantic hub for many years, is a great training airport, has had some great initiatives down through the years. It's hard to believe that 20 years ago every flight coming from the US had to stop in Shannon.

• Advertisement

spot on! both airports need to play to the strenghts they have! i also dont get the bitterness directed at shannon! but some people seem to want SNN to fail! :rolleyes:

IMVHO (no mod hat on here), some of the discussions going on here sums up what is wrong with a lot of the country here, why are Knock and Shannon comparing each other and complaining about hand outs/bail outs/competition? Knock is a regional airport and should be looking to increase it's business however possible, Shannon is an international airport and should be looking to increase it's business however possible.

Shannon has been very badly managed because it was being run by an airport that was in competition with it as well as an over reliance on an airline that was more interested in moving out of Shannon than enhancing it. Shannon has 1 of the longest run ways in Europe, was a transatlantic hub for many years, is a great training airport, has had some great initiatives down through the years. It's hard to believe that 20 years ago every flight coming from the US had to stop in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

dr.fuzzenstein

I agree with you on shannon development but at least they are local and hopefuly will be more interested in making shannon a sucees than DAA! but as you say time will tell!

As for mayomaffia claiming KOC is running on its own! thats not the case KOC is receving tax payers money also! The €10 charge at the gate is just extracting extra money on top of the tax and charges paid on ticket price!

"On 21 February 2007, the Government of Ireland announced that it was giving €27 million of capital grant money to Ireland West Airport"

Standing on its own! :rolleyes:

More like Enda looking after his own....

Both of you are completely wrong AGAIN, that was a capital investment aka INFRASTRUCTURE, Cat II etc. It was not for the running of the airport. In Knock the Departure tax pays for that while the rest goes to further expansion.
    A €5 departure tax charged at the gate to the passengers would cover the running of Shannon airport while the interest saved from the taxpayer bailout could be used to incentivise Ryanair and others back. Like it or not you need Ryanair back. But i think you two are too short sighted to want to consider paying to have dozens more routes from SHannon, you would rather pay nothing for the service of a local airport and have no routes or worse have to travel to Dublin.:rolleyes::D
    Luckily Knocks passengers aren't as frugal or there would be Zero flights from there. Instead Ryanair have planned to double there routes from there over the next three years. Which often turn out to be the cheapest flights out of the country, saving alot more than €10 :D:D:D. It will be interesting in the years to come to see if SNN survives without going down that tax route on 1.4 million passengers.

ya everone is wrong excpt you! did the money not come from tax payer?
    and what about €4.5million in 2011 over 2years for regional airports?

And knocks fairs are not cheap when you add in €10 theft

You are full of bullsh!t and no facts to back it up! in all of your bitter threads you turn to insults and trolling when you are proven wrong as you have been here!

And for a a mayo person to come to the clare forum and call the people of clare tight and stupid shows exactly the type of person you are! Great job promoting "visit mayo" :rolleyes:
    Both of you are completely wrong AGAIN, that was a capital investment aka INFRASTRUCTURE, Cat II etc. It was not for the running of the airport. In Knock the Departure tax pays for that while the rest goes to further expansion.
    A €5 departure tax charged at the gate to the passengers would cover the running of Shannon airport while the interest saved from the taxpayer bailout could be used to incentivise Ryanair and others back. Like it or not you need Ryanair back. But i think you two are too short sighted to want to pay €5 to have dozens more routes from SHannon, you would rather pay nothing for the service of a local airport and have no routes or worse have to travel Dublin.:rolleyes::D
    Luckily Knocks passengers aren't as tight or there would be Zero flights from there. Instead Ryanair have planned to double there routes from there over the next three years. Which often turn out to be the cheapest flights out of the country, saving more than €10 :D:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You are full of bullsh!t and no facts to back it up! in all of your bitter threads you turn to insults and trolling when you are proven wrong as you have been here!

And for a a mayo person to come to the clare forum and call the people of clare tight and stupid shows exactly the type of person you are! Great job promoting "visit mayo" :rolleyes:

One warning and one warning only: drop the personalised remarks and cop the hell on. There is no need whatsoever to post these kinds of comments. If you can't debate like an adult, don't post at all.

Considering i used to live and work in Clare and have lots of friends there i obviously don't think that. No, that was just about you. and i never called you "Stupid" but.... Finished topic anyway, only time will tell i suppose. You shouldn't get so upset when somebody challenges your opinions or presents others thats what Boards.ie is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IrishBorn

As a frequent traveler to Ireland from the States I have noticed a significant increase in the cost to fly into Shannon. As early as 2001 it was cost effective for me and my family to fly into Shannon (we holiday in County Clare exclusively). Over the last 15 years I have flown in to and out of Shannon Airport.

This year however is the first year I will be flying into Dublin. I could not justify the additional $300-$800 dollars the major airlines are charging to fly into Shannon. It's a shame really, I will miss the familiarity of Shannon.

I truly hope Shannon Airport gets it act together and again can compete for International flights. I for one would prefer to fly into Shannon than Dublin.

You can edit all you want but what you said about the people of clare can be seen in the quoted section of post #85

you did not back up anything you posted and are very ill informed about both shannon and knock airport. Keep up you anti shannon posts they make great fictional reading.

As for bellow! :confused:

Considering i used to live and work in Clare and have lots of friends there i obviously don't think that. No, that was just about you. and i never called you "Stupid" but.... Finished topic anyway, only time will tell i suppose. You shouldn't get so upset when somebody challenges your opinions or presents others thats what Boards.ie is all about.

Yeah, Aer Lingus are desperate to get out of there. ;)
    Fully agree though, Knock should not be the main competitor, the main airports should be Dublin, Shannon and Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

If you took a second to read the text you are quoting you'd see that it started with "On 21 February 2007...", years before Kenny became Taoiseach.

Also for reference, of the €27m capital investment announced before an election by the FF government, about €14m was actually provided due to the economic collapse, and I believe the investment required 60/40% matching funding from IWAK own resources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement